GrieverX

Removed
Apr 2, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
HI SDN'ers

I am pretty new to this forum. I was hoping some of you can comment on the situation that I find myself in. I guess I'm not the typical "reapplicant" in that I didn't go through with the process and get rejected, so I was hoping someone can provide some advice on what I should. I've heard some advice that if one received few/no interviews, drastic changes must be made in the new application. I unfortunately did not know how my application would have fared, since I withdrew it a week after I submitted it. I believed I had an excellent personal statement that I would love to re-use. Unfortunately, my advisor said that I can no longer use it since they will have a copy of previous application and will cross-reference to see that I'm not using the same one.

I'll try to provide a little more context.

I have an abundance of clinical experience, which appears to come up a lot as a "weakness" in post-rejection feedbacks. Since I graduated in Jan of 2009 (GPA of 4.7 on our 5.0 scale which is equivalent to 3.7/4.0 Why do we do it differently? beats me), I have been working full time as a medical assistant at two different clinics. I worked for 10 months at my first clinic. At that job, I took vitals, did phlebotomy, injections, EKG's, and processed lab specimen. The clinic's patients base predominantly consisted of underserved population.

I am currently at a different clinic, which I have been working since Nov 09. I do pretty much the same thing except I no longer do phlebotomy, injections, or process specimen. Some major differences in my current clinic is phone triage - patients describe their symptoms to me and I determine whether they should be seen and how soon. I also take patient history: I would greet patients, bring them into a room, speak to them for about 5 minutes, listen to their complaints or any updates since their last visit and take notes. Basically, I've had a LOT of exposure working directly and closely with patients in a primary care setting, which is what I want to pursue.

I had a disappointing MCAT the first time around, which caused me to withdraw my application soon after I submitted it. Though the biggest setback was that it dis-allowed me from using my personal statement, which I worked really really hard on and my advisor and many others said was excellent. Since they will cross reference my new PS with my old PS, would this be considered a sort of advantage, since learn about me from TWO essays. Since I have everything ready to go this time around, I will submit my application on the earliest day possible. I retook the MCAT on 03/27 and am crossing my fingers for better results this time, but am ready to take a 3rd time if need be.

I did a year of research, in which I am getting a LoR from my supervisor and the Nobel laureate PI is kind enough to sign off on it. Even though I was very involved in the research and learned a lot of really high level techniques (e.g. perfusion, stereotaxic injection, immunohistochemical staining, etc.. ) there was No publication that resulted from my work. Aside from my dismal MCAT score (and actually it was only the verbal), I thought I was a pretty strong candidate. Though maybe I'm just deluding myself.

I did some volunteering during my undergraduate years at a homeless shelter. At one point, I was consistently volunteering there weekly for 6 months, but then it became intermittent after that until I finally stopped after I graduated.

Since graduation and up until now, I have been so busy with work, taking Chem Lab at a different university to fulfill requirement, and studying for my retake of MCAT, I have not been able to volunteer at all. I wonder how much this will hurt me.

What should I do, if anything, from now up until submission of application?

Thanks in advance

mooshika

Removed
Jan 13, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
is atypical.

HI SDN'ers

I am pretty new to this forum. I was hoping some of you can comment on the situation that I find myself in. I guess I'm not the typical "reapplicant" in that I didn't go through with the process and get rejected, so I was hoping someone can provide some advice on what I should. I've heard some advice that if one received few/no interviews, drastic changes must be made in the new application. I unfortunately did not know how my application would have fared, since I withdrew it a week after I submitted it. I believed I had an excellent personal statement that I would love to re-use. Unfortunately, my advisor said that I can no longer use it since they will have a copy of previous application and will cross-reference to see that I'm not using the same one.

I'll try to provide a little more context.

I have an abundance of clinical experience, which appears to come up a lot as a "weakness" in post-rejection feedbacks. Since I graduated in Jan of 2009 (GPA of 4.7 on our 5.0 scale which is equivalent to 3.7/4.0 Why do we do it differently? beats me), I have been working full time as a medical assistant at two different clinics. I worked for 10 months at my first clinic. At that job, I took vitals, did phlebotomy, injections, EKG's, and processed lab specimen. The clinic's patients base predominantly consisted of underserved population.

I am currently at a different clinic, which I have been working since Nov 09. I do pretty much the same thing except I no longer do phlebotomy, injections, or process specimen. Some major differences in my current clinic is phone triage - patients describe their symptoms to me and I determine whether they should be seen and how soon. I also take patient history: I would greet patients, bring them into a room, speak to them for about 5 minutes, listen to their complaints or any updates since their last visit and take notes. Basically, I've had a LOT of exposure working directly and closely with patients in a primary care setting, which is what I want to pursue.

I had a disappointing MCAT the first time around, which caused me to withdraw my application soon after I submitted it. Though the biggest setback was that it dis-allowed me from using my personal statement, which I worked really really hard on and my advisor and many others said was excellent. Since they will cross reference my new PS with my old PS, would this be considered a sort of advantage, since learn about me from TWO essays. Since I have everything ready to go this time around, I will submit my application on the earliest day possible. I retook the MCAT on 03/27 and am crossing my fingers for better results this time, but am ready to take a 3rd time if need be.

I did a year of research, in which I am getting a LoR from my supervisor and the Nobel laureate PI is kind enough to sign off on it. Even though I was very involved in the research and learned a lot of really high level techniques (e.g. perfusion, stereotaxic injection, immunohistochemical staining, etc.. ) there was No publication that resulted from my work. Aside from my dismal MCAT score (and actually it was only the verbal), I thought I was a pretty strong candidate. Though maybe I'm just deluding myself.

I did some volunteering during my undergraduate years at a homeless shelter. At one point, I was consistently volunteering there weekly for 6 months, but then it became intermittent after that until I finally stopped after I graduated.

Since graduation and up until now, I have been so busy with work, taking Chem Lab at a different university to fulfill requirement, and studying for my retake of MCAT, I have not been able to volunteer at all. I wonder how much this will hurt me.

What should I do, if anything, from now up until submission of application?

Thanks in advance

Dec 30, 2009
Status
Non-Student
is atypical.

Seriously, mooshika? Has SDN left you so jaded that rather than help a fellow applicant (as others have helped you) you resort to smart-*** comments? Simply brilliant; do tell us more. :rolleyes:

Anyway, OP. My question to you is, did AMCAS acknowledge that your application was verified and sent off to the schools you initially applied to? Did you receive acknowledgement from any of these schools, and did they send you secondaries? You may have pulled your application soon enough that you would not actually be considered a re-applicant. These schools may not have anything on you. If your situation is similar to the OP in this thread (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=713605) then you may have nothing to worry about and might be able to re-use your PS.

And even if you cannot re-use your PS in its entirety, tweak it a little by including what you've been doing since the last time you tried to submit your primary, even if it's a new anecdote or encounter with someone in one of your ECs. There's always a way to bring something new to the table, even from the things you would think are mundane.

Good luck:luck: