AUA---ERAS states I cannot apply to

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilovepath

Y
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm at AUA filling out ERAS and trying to find out the states I cannot apply to as a graduate from AUA. Assuming all greenbook cores/electives, the states I cannot apply to are Cali, Arkansas, Tennessee, Alaska--can anyone fill me in on any others? Alabama? Anything else?

Members don't see this ad.

you can apply to all those states if you want.. no one will stop you, heck you'll even be invited for interviews, I know people who did just that. the problem will come during match time because you can't match into those programs since you can't get licensed to practice medicine in those states.

check out the AUA forum on valuemd for more states that don't recognize the school and won't give you a license. the list is pretty substantial and is growing.

any specific answers?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I am only aware of california and arkansas, can anyone help me find the pretty substantial and growing list ?

i told you where you can find the list.. now don't be lazy and go look for it. no one here is going to spoon feed you.

I looked up and down, no such list exists in vmd, since you saw this list you can tell me where specifically in vmd it exists.

For Rotations i think you can do anywhere just make sure its green. as for licensure.
i heard states might adopt CA's list and when that happens... fmg/imgs no more ?

The states I know of:

New Mexico
Alaska
Mississippi
Arkansas
TN
Indiania
California
Mass
Idaho
Oregon
Kansas
North Dakoka

States I know to be okay right now:
Lousiana**
Alabama**
Georgia**
South Carolina**
North Carolina**
Maine
Maryland**
Ohio**
Illinois**
Virginia
Kentucky**
Wyoming**
Wisonsin**
Arizona
Washington State
Washington DC
New York (check this one out - not totally sure)
New Jersey**

These states on case by case basis
Nevada
Colorado

IMG/FMG friendly states have **

Best to check the state out before ERAS. Don't waste your time and money through ERAS unless you are sure. Many program directors don't know what schools are accepted or not.

For Rotations i think you can do anywhere just make sure its green. as for licensure.
i heard states might adopt CA's list and when that happens... fmg/imgs no more ?

Arkansas grandfathered in those in residency when they adopted the list. Mississippi does not know what to do - they are rethinking their decision as we speak. They have not made any provisions for those in residency right now.

Arkansas has a federal lawsuit filed against them by AUA.

TN will take you for residency and won't give you a license.. same goes for Texas. Texas is a huge mess - stay away from them!!!!!

Some of the states listed above will license you have you are board certified. Example: Idaho after board certification for 5 years, Oregon will consider a license after board certification. New Mexico will license you have board certification and no incidents after practicing in another state for 2 or 3 years.

New York definitely accepts applications from AUA grads. At my program in Queens, one of my fellow interns graduated from AUA.

Isn't mass a case by case basis?

The states I know of:

New Mexico
Alaska
Mississippi
Arkansas
TN
Indiania
California
Mass
Idaho
Oregon
Kansas
North Dakoka

Lousiana**
Alabama**
Georgia**
South Carolina**
North Carolina**
Maine
Maryland**
Ohio**
Illinois**
Virginia
Kentucky**
Wyoming**
Wisonsin**
Arizona
Washington State
Washington DC
New Jersey**

Nevada
Colorado

Best to check the state out before ERAS. Don't waste your time and money through ERAS unless you are sure. Many program directors don't know what schools are accepted or not.

The states I know of:

New Mexico
Alaska
Mississippi
Arkansas
TN
Indiania
California
Mass
Idaho
Oregon
Kansas
North Dakoka

Lousiana**
Alabama**
Georgia**
South Carolina**
North Carolina**
Maine
Maryland**
Ohio**
Illinois**
Virginia
Kentucky**
Wyoming**
Wisonsin**
Arizona
Washington State
Washington DC
New Jersey**

Nevada
Colorado

Considering the rumors flying around regarding the use of the CA list, can you please post any links regarding information that these two states follow the CA list. I can't find any. Let's not add to the rumor mill.

Here is the link for the Mass requirments:
http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/education-careers/graduate-medical-education/freida-online.shtml

Here is the link for the ND requirements:
http://www.ndbomex.com/MD_Req.htm

The AMA website has links to all 50 states' medical boards. I suggest that anyone interested in practicing who is considering going to a school that is not in the "Big 4" check it out.
http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/edu.../medical-licensure/state-medical-boards.shtml

Georgia is still considering using the CA list, so I would be cautious with that state. Kansas will grant a license once the school has been around for 15 years.

You can add Missouri to the list of friendly states.

And in case anyone is interested, the highest number of calls/emails from recruiters I have seen looking for PCPs is all from states that follow the CA list. Maybe Obama should take a look at that to solve the PCP shortage...

I'd like further confirmation as well...every other source I've seen indicates mass is a case by case basis...can an informed person chime and and let us know what you think about mass?