Does eras application ask for all medical schools i attended?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Future2324

Reaction score
I was recently academically dismissed from my DO school after the first semester of failing 2 classes. I wasn’t allowed to remediate the coursework. And I’m currently taking postbac courses to learn the foundational concepts that I was lacking in my first semester of medical school. I want to go to the carribean and try again after a year or two of biomedical science coursework.

If I do well in the carribean and apply through ERAS will they ask for all medical schools I’ve attended?

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
I’d highly encourage you to not go through with this plan. First of all, failing two preclinical courses indicates that there’s a good chance you’ll fail again, or at least do poorly on the USMLE. Frankly I don’t think taking more non-med school courses is going to improve your odds of passing in a Caribbean school. Second, even if you do get through school and USMLE without further issues, you will still be an IMG with class failures and a dismissal. You’ll be behind the IMGs with spotless academic records, of which there are quite a lot; even those applicants can have a tough time matching.

I think it’s time to cut your losses and look for a different career. This would be an enormously expensive gamble with worse odds than the average Caribbean student.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your replies. If I were able to get into a special masters program such as VCOM that prepares students for medical school and do well enough to be accepted into a medical school, would I be able to match?

I’d highly encourage you to not go through with this plan. First of all, failing two preclinical courses indicates that there’s a good chance you’ll fail again, or at least do poorly on the USMLE. Frankly I don’t think taking more non-med school courses is going to improve your odds of passing in a Caribbean school. Second, even if you do get through school and USMLE without further issues, you will still be an IMG with class failures and a dismissal. You’ll be behind the IMGs with spotless academic records, of which there are quite a lot; even those applicants can have a tough time matching.

I think it’s time to cut your losses and look for a different career. This would be an enormously expensive gamble with worse odds than the average Caribbean student.
Thank you for your reply. If I were able to get into a special masters program such as VCOM that prepares students for medical school and do well enough to be accepted into a medical school, would I be able to match?

Thank you for your reply. If I were able to get into a special masters program such as VCOM that prepares students for medical school and do well enough to be accepted into a medical school, would I be able to match?
Is it possible? Sure. Is it likely? Well, I admittedly don’t have great data for your exact situation, but there are plenty of US IMG stats from 2022 Charting Outcomes from NRMP: https://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/Charting-Outcomes-IMG-2022_Final.pdf

At the end of the day, it really depends on your comfort with these (or likely even worse) odds given the debt you’d incur going for this. If my loved one were asking me about this, I’d say hell no.

Last edited:
If you do an SMP and are able to leverage that into another US medical school acceptance (MD or DO), then your prior failure won't be a big issue. If you're asking whether doing an SMP as a bridge to a non-US school is a good idea - it won't make your attendance at an international school any better. It's honestly unlikely that an SMP will bridge you to a US school - I would only consider this in your situation if there was a guaranteed seat for some level of excellent performance. Those types of programs are very rare, and unlikely to consider you.

Reactions: 1 user
Is it possible? Sure. Is it likely? Well, I admittedly don’t have great data for your exact situation, but pulling some US IMG stats from 2022 Charting Outcomes from NRMP:

-141/175 (80.6%) applicants to EM matched
-483/826 (58.5%) applicants to FM matched
-62/188 (33.0%) applicants to IM matched
-48/92 (52.2%) applicants to neurology matched
-51/103 (49.5%) applicants to pathology matched
-169/224 (75.4%) applicants to pediatrics matched

I don’t think these stats account for people dual-applying, so potentially some of the unmatched could’ve matched into a different specialty. But realistically those cases probably don’t change the numbers much. Unfortunately we also can’t see things like course failures and school transfers on the report as far as I’m aware. But you’d have a unique red flag among the other US IMGs applying during your year, which would not bode well for your odds. At the end of the day, it really depends on your comfort with these (or likely even worse) odds given the debt you’d incur going for this. If my loved one were asking me about this, I’d say hell no.

Source: https://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/Charting-Outcomes-IMG-2022_Final.pdf
Not sure where you are getting some of those numbers, but they are not correct. If you were looking at the specialty specific data, remember that that only includes people who agreed to have their data included. But even for IM, those numbers still aren't anywhere near correct. Table 1 on page 3 of that document has the actual data you are trying to show.

To the OP. I agree with the sentiment that unfortunately you likely missed your chance to have a career as a physician. If you are absolutely set on working in the medical field, maybe look at pathways to become a PA or NP. You could work in essentially any field, still have a reasonable amount of autonomy, and will make a decent living.

Not sure where you are getting some of those numbers, but they are not correct. If you were looking at the specialty specific data, remember that that only includes people who agreed to have their data included. But even for IM, those numbers still aren't anywhere near correct. Table 1 on page 3 of that document has the actual data you are trying to show.
Ah, thanks for pointing that out, post is edited now.

I was recently academically dismissed from my DO school after the first semester of failing 2 classes. I wasn’t allowed to remediate the coursework. And I’m currently taking postbac courses to learn the foundational concepts that I was lacking in my first semester of medical school. I want to go to the carribean and try again after a year or two of biomedical science coursework.

If I do well in the carribean and apply through ERAS will they ask for all medical schools I’ve attended?
What two classes did you fail? Did you review the student handbook regarding dismissals? Seems odd that they wouldn't let you remediate.