AuD to PA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ateshn

Reaction score
Hello! I'm a first year AuD student, currently in my spring semester. As I've completed my coursework, I feel that the diagnostic aspect of audiology is great, but I wanted more hands on medical experience with my patients. I've been thinking if PA is something that would be viable for me. Both programs have about the same cost, and doing the pre-requisite courses for PA would also take about the same time frame for me. I'm wondering if anyone has had the same thoughts about switching or has made a career change further into the field. I'm not sure if I should finish my degree and decide later, or if I should withdraw now as to save money on tuition, living expenses, etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and I would love to know if anyone has their AuD and works as a PA with an ENT? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome to the forums! Sorry no one responded to you!

Getting a PA is different training. It is a master's level degree, and successful applicants need to have hundreds of hours of patient care experience (whatever you get in your AuD training will not count). I would also encourage you to shadow PA's, and there are many different types.

Also admissions to PA is currently as difficult as getting into medical school, so it might be a shock from applying to AuD programs. I think the experience would be different from AuD to PA ENT.

Welcome to the forums! Sorry no one responded to you!

Getting a PA is different training. It is a master's level degree, and successful applicants need to have hundreds of hours of patient care experience (whatever you get in your AuD training will not count). I would also encourage you to shadow PA's, and there are many different types.

Also admissions to PA is currently as difficult as getting into medical school, so it might be a shock from applying to AuD programs. I think the experience would be different from AuD to PA ENT.
Thank you for responding! I was wondering why AuD training would not count? Or if I had been working in the field for say 5 years, would that patient care not count towards the PCE needed for program admissions?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for responding! I was wondering why AuD training would not count? Or if I had been working in the field for say 5 years, would that patient care not count towards the PCE needed for program admissions?
You should always check with admissions recruiters, but usually you shouldn't count your training in school as professional experience. Any hours after graduating is fine.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello! I'm a first year AuD student, currently in my spring semester. As I've completed my coursework, I feel that the diagnostic aspect of audiology is great, but I wanted more hands on medical experience with my patients. I've been thinking if PA is something that would be viable for me. Both programs have about the same cost, and doing the pre-requisite courses for PA would also take about the same time frame for me. I'm wondering if anyone has had the same thoughts about switching or has made a career change further into the field. I'm not sure if I should finish my degree and decide later, or if I should withdraw now as to save money on tuition, living expenses, etc. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and I would love to know if anyone has their AuD and works as a PA with an ENT? Thank you!
Hi! Lots of good advice already noted but I’ll add a couple more things. I didn’t make this exact switch but something similar. I was in allied health for over a decade and am finishing up med school. The biggest question I got was why medicine? I imagine you will need a good answer for this as well- ie- what do you mean about “hands on medical experience”? The other thing I have seen asked of others that debated finishing school vs dropping out and switching is that you run the risk of wherever you are applying worrying that you may not complete their program either.

I think the advice to shadow some PAs is a great idea. It would also be a good idea to make an appointment with an admissions counselor at your local program and run your thoughts about experience, switching programs, etc by them. Best wishes!

Hi! Thank you for the extra advice. I think I primarily meant being able to diagnose/interpret my own labs and essentially do more in terms of prescribing for my patients. I'm currently deciding to finish my program but I feel that audiology is pretty one dimensional, where the solution tends to lean towards hearing aids. I'm also not the biggest fan of the ROI as audiology is the lowest of the clinical doctorates. Although I feel like even if I made as much as an MD I would still want the knowledge that comes with a PA or MD program. As of now I'll most likely finish the program and see if I want to switch later, but thanks again!

Reactions: 1 user