Dual AuD/PhD degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.Bata

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am currently a junior studying CSD and am interested in a clinical research career. Therefore I am considering a dual AuD/PhD program. Financially, the PhD would cover the cost of my AuD.

I would like advice on pursuing a dual degree and if it is worth it? Are there any pros and cons to doing just a PhD without a clinical degree? Additionally, if you are in or completed one of these programs, can you share some insight into your school?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi!
Sorry no one acted on your question. Welcome to the forums!

Getting a PhD usually encourages one to go into an academic direction with one's career. You still need to do what you can to get your AuD/clinical degree, but you may get some allocated time to work closely with a faculty member on a research project relevant to the practice. Usually, areas would include more scientific approaches to teaching and educating patients. You have to really like research and statistics to take the extra time to graduate with no/lower debt, but if this is something you want to do, go for it. The profession needs faculty members who can also understand the practice. I would take the time to talk with audiologists in your area and those with Ph.D.'s (usually faculty at a commsci department).

[Article from 1996 about student perspectives on the AuD, back when I think they were considering the AuD as a standard degree for the profession.]