audio osmosis cd's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdsquared

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used these cd's from exam crackers? Did they help or is it a waste of time? I would only use these in the car on my way to school/work/etc. and would not have much time (avg 10 min/ride). Are the concepts/explanations clear and has it helped you understand the subject better?

Members don't see this ad.

i like them- i wish i spent more time with them because they do a good job helping you think. i am no longer commuting, but i am going to try and start using them at the gym a few times a week. i like them- they use a lot of mneumonics and whatnot to help you remember. it's not "passive" learning, but it's an efficient way to pass time

Definitely depends on your learning style.

I do much better going from "traditional" book style studying and learning; that being said I did use EK AO. I was travelling to play hockey (3hrs each way) on the weekends, and that was tough for my guilt levels - 6 hours away from my books. And EK definitely helped that out.

But I'd never get them if I wasn't locked in my car for hours. Just not the return on investment that I'd expect with the high pricetag.

dc

imo, these cd's are a good REVIEW of what you already know. So if you're gonna buy it for that reason, then definitely go for it, but I wouldn't depend on it if you hadn't already tackled the subjects through books first. A lot of things may not make sense otherwise, or they may appear to be going too fast. As for me, these cd's have helped me build a stronger foundation in the sciences & cleared up a lot of things I was always wishy-washy about. They explain a lot of concepts really well, and encourage you to think more intuitively, which will definitely help when you tackle MCAT passges.

No doubt, the convinience factor is probably the biggest advantage you can get out of these cd's. If you don't end up finding these cd's very useful, or if you don't need them after you're done using it, you could always get some chunk of your money back by selling it on ebay or something. They seem to sell pretty well.

Members don't see this ad :)
dukejen04 said:
i am going to try and start using them at the gym a few times a week.

You really have to be motivated to work out to Jordan & Jon. :p

haha- actually, i'm a masochist. jk ;) it's actually working out quite well- i can't listen while i run, i've found (i can't concentrate), so after i run, i also bike for 20 minutes and review a few things. works great. i do some review and burn a few extra calories. (studying for mcat makes me crave cookies)

:thumbup: i used the CDs along with a review course. i thought they were good, but i found i had to listen actively the first time i used them. after i listened once and took notes, i was able to put them in the car for reviewing - definitely helped in physics/gen chem especially for some of the formula/constant memorization. i thought it was worth it, just be sure to download the corrections from the EK website so you don't waste time second-guessing something that sounds wrong.

I agree. I thought I could listen to them for the first on speakers as i cleaned up my apartment but I found myself repeating the tracks too often. I prefer to sit down and listen to them without any distractions as I listen to all the tracks for the first time.

daisyage said:
i thought they were good, but i found i had to listen actively the first time i used them.

I take the MCAT in August. I am taking summer courses and have a full-time job so I'm pretty busy. My commute to school is 50 minutes, and to work is 25. I find that it is great to listen as I drive. They remind me of what I've studied in the text but I wouldn't replace regular "book lernin' " with the CDs. I also loaded them onto a pocket-size MP3 player (go iPod mini) and am able to listen while I work since much of my job is mindless repetition.