Audiologist Assistant?? NOVA online program??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Feisty510

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience as an audiology assistant? Any knowledge of NOVA's online audiology assistant program? I have always had an interest in the field of audiology. However, life took me in a different direction which involved getting my bachelors degree in Social Work, getting married and having three kids with special needs. I am currently 38 years old working in a local hospital as a newborn hearing screener. I feel like I am finally ready to pursue my interest in this field...however at my age, I'm not sure if it's worth it to go all the way for a doctorate. Looking for feedback on the role of audiology assistant....or any other possible direction I could go. I absolutely love my job as a newborn hearing screener but feel that it has very limited advancement opportunities. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you a veteran by any chance? If so there are health technicians for hearing (audiology) all the time posted which you could be trained to do.

I know most of the audiology health technicians (who are basically audiology assistants) had on the job training and have not completed any real training program.

I know of one person who completed the NOVA program. They are an audiology assistant and basically do hearing screenings for the newborns and minor hearing aid repairs (which it sounds like you doing part of this work now). They liked the program, but admit it was not worth the money since they are basically paid the same as any other assistant would be paid.

I know at one hospital I worked at I trained one of our secretaries to be an audiology assistant. Taught her to do basic repairs and cleanings and how to fill out Medicaid hearing aid paperwork. If your hospital you currently work at has an audiology department why not talk to the person in charge of that department and see if they would be willing to train you on the job and let you take over more duties for the hospital since you are already doing the newborn infant hearing screenings. Why spend money on a program that you can be taught how to do on the job and do the same work?

Another idea for you:
Why not go to school for medical assistant and then try and get into your hospital's ENT office as a medical assistant/audiology assistant? You would actually get to see a lot of cool stuff, help out with post ops, etc.

In my ENT experiences I have seen medical assistants do lots of things audiologists are not allowed to do (and I'm not going to debate with anyone in this thread about the ethics of this. Feel free to post a thread and we can discuss it if you would like to folks). You would be doing the things you love to do and have some education that is portable and a decent paycheck for it.

And one last idea:
You might be able to get an age waiver if you are in good shape and can join the military as a direct commissioned officer in social work and then cross train as a health tech for audiology (I cannot remember the MOS or job title for this but they exist) and then you would get to do some of the things you wanted to do!