Army Audiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Armyhealth

Army Healthcare Recruiter
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looked like there have not been any info posted in SDN in a long time about becoming a military audiologist. Figured I would make a thread for those interested and help answer some questions.

There are three ways to come in as an audiologist in the army. Feel free to send me questions, I only represent the army so please no questions about other branches.

#1 right out of school-Audiology Externship Program (AEP) AEP provides a 1-year clinical audiology externship to students who have completed all academic coursework for their clinical doctorate in audiology and are eligible for the 1-year program. Training is conducted at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, Bethesda, Maryland. Applicants incur a 36-month ADO following completion of the externship. This is a one-time-a-year board meeting in October of each year. Also will receive 120K in student loan repayment. Will make full salary of around 80K while in externship.

#2- Already have experience and want to join full time- 3 year contract to join as a captain. 120K in student loan repayment. Will be making around 80K a year starting.

#3- Already have experience and want to join army reserves- drill one weekend a month and two weeks a year in your local unit. Up to 50K in student loan repayment, up to 80K in bonuses (20K per year). Still come in as captain.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Looked like there have not been any info posted in SDN in a long time about becoming a military audiologist. Figured I would make a thread for those interested and help answer some questions.

There are three ways to come in as an audiologist in the army. Feel free to send me questions, I only represent the army so please no questions about other branches.

#1 right out of school-Audiology Externship Program (AEP) AEP provides a 1-year clinical audiology externship to students who have completed all academic coursework for their clinical doctorate in audiology and are eligible for the 1-year program. Training is conducted at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, Bethesda, Maryland. Applicants incur a 36-month ADO following completion of the externship. This is a one-time-a-year board meeting in October of each year. Also will receive 120K in student loan repayment. Will make full salary of around 80K while in externship.

#2- Already have experience and want to join full time- 3 year contract to join as a captain. 120K in student loan repayment. Will be making around 80K a year starting.

#3- Already have experience and want to join army reserves- drill one weekend a month and two weeks a year in your local unit. Up to 50K in student loan repayment, up to 80K in bonuses (20K per year). Still come in as captain.

For option 3:

Boarded recently. Placed on OML. Awaiting to find out from HRCOM and USAREC whether they are going to allow any more 72C's to join the reserves. So on a holding pattern indefinitely. No one can tell me if they are going to start slotting more audiologists for the reserves this year or wait until next October when the new fiscal year begins. No one can say what the incentives will be after Oct. 1st either. Signed for 50k in loan repayment and 50k in bonuses. Still awaiting to find out if I will get what I signed for if/when I ever get removed from the OML and approved for commission. If you have any insight anyone else I have talked to has not been able to provide I would love to hear from you!

For option 3:

Boarded recently. Placed on OML. Awaiting to find out from HRCOM and USAREC whether they are going to allow any more 72C's to join the reserves. So on a holding pattern indefinitely. No one can tell me if they are going to start slotting more audiologists for the reserves this year or wait until next October when the new fiscal year begins. No one can say what the incentives will be after Oct. 1st either. Signed for 50k in loan repayment and 50k in bonuses. Still awaiting to find out if I will get what I signed for if/when I ever get removed from the OML and approved for commission. If you have any insight anyone else I have talked to has not been able to provide I would love to hear from you!

I sent you a PM, hopefully that helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi. I applied with an Army recruiter but unable to get an age waiver.

I am starting to look at externships and the army audiologist externship is very intriguing. I appreciate the well rounded education and opportunities, and it is the only posting I’ve seen that offers hearing conservation. My only concern is any physical requirements. What are the physical requirements for the externship and the following 3 year commitment? The last two years of grad
School have been particularly unhealthy for me and I’ve fallen off the workout routine wagon.
Any info would be very much appreciated!

I am starting to look at externships and the army audiologist externship is very intriguing. I appreciate the well rounded education and opportunities, and it is the only posting I’ve seen that offers hearing conservation. My only concern is any physical requirements. What are the physical requirements for the externship and the following 3 year commitment? The last two years of grad
School have been particularly unhealthy for me and I’ve fallen off the workout routine wagon.
Any info would be very much appreciated!

The physical requirements to initially come in the army is just like a sports physical. They just make sure you have no pre existing serious medical conditions that would prevent you from serving. After joining it is the PT test usually every six months. 2 mile run, 2 minutes of pushups, 2 minutes of situps. You can see what scores you need based on your age and gender. Just google army PT score chart.

The physical requirements to initially come in the army is just like a sports physical. They just make sure you have no pre existing serious medical conditions that would prevent you from serving. After joining it is the PT test usually every six months. 2 mile run, 2 minutes of pushups, 2 minutes of situps. You can see what scores you need based on your age and gender. Just google army PT score chart.

Thanks for the reply. I have another question about salary after graduation. I’ve seen after I get my AuD I would come in at an O-3 level paygrade. When I googled that is came up with about $4100 a month with less than 3 years service. When I multiply that to get an annual salary I get just shy of $50k. I often see people throwing out military audiologist salaries of about 75-80k. What am I missing? Are benefits like housing allowance and PTO included in this calculation?

Thanks for the reply. I have another question about salary after graduation. I’ve seen after I get my AuD I would come in at an O-3 level paygrade. When I googled that is came up with about $4100 a month with less than 3 years service. When I multiply that to get an annual salary I get just shy of $50k. I often see people throwing out military audiologist salaries of about 75-80k. What am I missing? Are benefits like housing allowance and PTO included in this calculation?

You would get tons of other incentives besides base pay such as basic allowance for housing. These add up quickly and people don’t think about them when looking at military salaries.

I am interested in the army’s audiologist opportunities but fear these opportunities are limited and/or phasing out. Am I wrong in believing so?

I am interested in the army’s audiologist opportunities but fear these opportunities are limited and/or phasing out. Am I wrong in believing so?

Well I can't speak for the full time active duty side, but I know right now reserves is not taking any further audiologists for this year and I know a couple of people are on the order of merit list waiting for a slot, but it seems like it will be this next fiscal year (October 1st or later) before they fill anymore slots for reserves. Maybe one of the medical service corps recruiters can chime in with some insight.

Hello Armyhealth!

I am a third year audiology student, preparing for an externship next year! I am interested in receiving more information regarding an externship opportunity with the Army... I have been unable to request recruiting information via the internet and was hoping you could provide me with contact information or more insight?

Thanks for your help!

Hello Armyhealth!

I am a third year audiology student, preparing for an externship next year! I am interested in receiving more information regarding an externship opportunity with the Army... I have been unable to request recruiting information via the internet and was hoping you could provide me with contact information or more insight?

Thanks for your help!

Hit up the Army medical recruiter in your area and stop in for a chat.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good evening everyone! I saw this thread and wanted to chime in as I don’t see any responses from current Army Audiologists. I came into the Army through the Externship program in 2010 and am still Active Duty. I have had a couple of hearing program/audiology assignments following the year at Walter Reed and am currently wrapping up with a boarding assignment as the Officer in Charge (OIC) of a Medical Recruiting Station. I can definitely share my experiences and hopefully answer questions that you may have regarding this post! Best wishes to you all!

Hello Armyhealth!

Thanks for your help!

Shoot me a private message with your contact info. I would be happy to go through everything with you!

Yes base pay is around 50K but you get housing pay, board certification pay, incentive pay. Based on where you are stationed and what incentives you request you would be making anywhere from 80K-100K starting. This also doesn't include the 120K in student loan repayment.

We have had the same number of positions for years. As long as we have soldiers we are going to need audiologists.

This is out of the 2019 incentive guide-

Audiology Externship Program (AEP)
AEP provides a 1-year clinical audiology externship to students who have completed all academic coursework for their clinical doctorate in audiology and are eligible for the 1-year program. Training is conducted at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, Bethesda, Maryland. Applicants incur a 36-month ADO following completion of the externship. This is a one-time-a-year board meeting in October of each year.

Yes base pay is around 50K but you get housing pay, board certification pay, incentive pay. Based on where you are stationed and what incentives you request you would be making anywhere from 80K-100K starting. This also doesn't include the 120K in student loan repayment.

I did the loan repayment and it worked out well! I came in through the Externship in 2010 and owed 3 years for that. During the year of my Externship, I applied for the Active Duty Health Professions Loan Repayment Program (ADHPLRP) and due to the amount I wanted them to pay back (its 1 year for every $40K), I owed 3 more years... so that brought me to 7 years total. I am now at 8 years, recently was promoted to the rank of Major (MAJ) and all is well. To be transparent, (as its all public knowledge and can be looked up by anyone anyway) I hit 8 years in June, have an annual pay (base pay, housing, etc) of around $115K and have a take home pay of right at $8K/month. I don’t have to worry about malpractice, health insurance (for me or my family), and have other awesome benefits. So when you are comparing and thinking of the salary aspect, you have to consider things that do not come out of our checks. Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Quick question do you qualify for board certification pay for having board certification in audiology as a reserve audiologist?

Quick question do you qualify for board certification pay for having board certification in audiology as a reserve audiologist?

Yes reservists are eligible for board certification pay as long as your specialty is listed. As of right 72C is listed for the reserves. PS this was not easy to find!

Years of Creditable Service Annual Payment
Less than 10 years $2,000
At least 10, but less than 12 years $2,500
At least 12, but less than 14 years $3,000
At least 14, but less than 18 $4,000
18 or more years $5,000

Yes reservists are eligible for board certification pay as long as your specialty is listed. As of right 72C is listed for the reserves. PS this was not easy to find!

Years of Creditable Service Annual Payment
Less than 10 years $2,000
At least 10, but less than 12 years $2,500
At least 12, but less than 14 years $3,000
At least 14, but less than 18 $4,000
18 or more years $5,000

I bet this was hard to find! I’ve been digging for this for awhile now. So straight board certification without a specialty in audiology does not qualify? Right now ABA offers basic board certification, pediatrics, and cochlear implants.

I bet this was hard to find! I’ve been digging for this for awhile now. So straight board certification without a specialty in audiology does not qualify? Right now ABA offers basic board certification, pediatrics, and cochlear implants.

From what I see straight board certification is what they are looking for. I don't see any of the specialties listed for 72C currently.

From what I see straight board certification is what they are looking for. I don't see any of the specialties listed for 72C currently.

Awesome sounds good. I've been wanting to get mine anyways so this is more incentive to do so. Is there any special form I need to complete to get special pay for it or just submit the proof of board certification?

Hi! I just joined this forum to ask questions regarding military audiology. Anyone know if you serving as an active duty commissioned officer during the 4th year externship with the army? I saw that the Navy places you as E6 active duty, then commission as O3 after you graduate. I am curious to see if the Army or Air Force gives commission during the externship.

Hi! I just joined this forum to ask questions regarding military audiology. Anyone know if you serving as an active duty commissioned officer during the 4th year externship with the army? I saw that the Navy places you as E6 active duty, then commission as O3 after you graduate. I am curious to see if the Army or Air Force gives commission during the externship.

You start as a Captain during your externship with the Army.

Reactions: 1 users

Air Force you are an 0-3 CPT rank as a 4th year as well.

Air Force you are an 0-3 CPT rank as a 4th year as well.
Oh cool! Would you happen to know how the externship opportunities have been looking like for the Air Force in the recent days? I reached out to a Navy recruiter and spoke with couple Navy audiologists in the past and it looks like these positions are starting to be replaced with the civilian GS positions. Either one or no slot open for this year.. I feared it would be same across the branches but very glad to see that Army has been pretty consistent :)

Oh cool! Would you happen to know how the externship opportunities have been looking like for the Air Force in the recent days? I reached out to a Navy recruiter and spoke with couple Navy audiologists in the past and it looks like these positions are starting to be replaced with the civilian GS positions. Either one or no slot open for this year.. I feared it would be same across the branches but very glad to see that Army has been pretty consistent :)

I couldn't tell you. You would need to speak to one of the Air Force medical recruiters as they would know this info. I know in terms of size of force the Army has the most audiology slots of the branches. That board meets in October of each year to decide. There is a very helpful Army recruiter who frequents these forums you could reach out to if interested in the Army for audiology.

Greetings, I am 100% interested in doing military audiology, one I am former active duty air force and absolutely loved the lifestyle and two I think the opportunities are endless. Unfortunately the Air Force isn't currently doing their externship program, so I've contacted the Navy and I am not sure who to contact in my area regarding the Army. I'm finishing up my first year right now, but I want to get all of the paperwork out of the way right now if possible.

Also, what are some possibly first duty locations for Army Audiologists?

Edit: The navy told me to contact them Summer 2021.

Greetings, I am 100% interested in doing military audiology, one I am former active duty air force and absolutely loved the lifestyle and two I think the opportunities are endless. Unfortunately the Air Force isn't currently doing their externship program, so I've contacted the Navy and I am not sure who to contact in my area regarding the Army. I'm finishing up my first year right now, but I want to get all of the paperwork out of the way right now if possible.

Give me a call any time for the Army and I will connect you with someone. 315-405-6388

I am in the Army reserves as an audiologist if you have any questions I might be able to help too.

Thank you both for your replies, I talked to my local army medical recruiter on Wednesday and he wants me to come in in August to start doing paperwork (beginning of my second year); he said me being a Veteran will raise the chances of being selected exponentially and that if I knew any Army Audiologists.. that a letter of rec would be another large plus. I know the local Air Force audiologist (i observed him last semester) but do not know any Army folks, I wonder if that would work as well.

Thank you both for your replies, I talked to my local army medical recruiter on Wednesday and he wants me to come in in August to start doing paperwork (beginning of my second year); he said me being a Veteran will raise the chances of being selected exponentially and that if I knew any Army Audiologists.. that a letter of rec would be another large plus. I know the local Air Force audiologist (i observed him last semester) but do not know any Army folks, I wonder if that would work as well.

I sent you a PM, but yes an Air Force audiologist writing a letter of rec would be good as well.

I am in the Army reserves as an audiologist if you have any questions I might be able to help too.
Hello, could you share some of your experience as a reserve audiologist? I know on the paper it's one weekend a month and two weeks a year but I know it's not unusual to spend more time doing administrative work, etc. Few questions I want to ask: Is it realistic to be able to serve in the army reserves for 20 years as an audiologist? What is the likely ceiling rank for a reserve audiologist? How frequently can you expect to deploy? What are the drills like and are you in charge of enlisted medics? Also, if you don't mind, I'm curious what made you choose Army Reserve among other branches. Sorry for so many questions but I couldn't find the answer anywhere online. I'd greatly appreciate your input.

Hi. I am very interested in option #1. I am in an accelerated 3 year AuD program and am just about done with my first year. I would like to know more about this please.

Hello again! I am almost to the point of submitting my Army Audiology package (finally!) and was having trouble finding the information about the 120k student loan repayment program. There haven't been many Audiology packages at my recruiting station so they aren't sure how that process goes. I was wondering if you could give me some information on this; if it is still available. Thanks!

For option 3:

Any movement on this?

Do you have any insight to current 72C opening? I'm currently trying to Direct Commission from 68W to 72C. However, I'm running into obstacles, so I'm reaching out for any additional routes or options I can go. Thank you.

Hello again! I am almost to the point of submitting my Army Audiology package (finally!) and was having trouble finding the information about the 120k student loan repayment program. There haven't been many Audiology packages at my recruiting station so they aren't sure how that process goes. I was wondering if you could give me some information on this; if it is still available. Thanks!
Are you able to send me the information pertaining to the 120K loan repayment program, if you found it.

Give me a call any time for the Army and I will connect you with someone. 315-405-6388
I am having some difficulty with finding an opening to DC. I have 18 years in currently as 68W. Earned my Au. D. in 2019 and opened up my own private practice. Do you mind if I call you as well?