Audiologist Skills

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yoloyolo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to become an audiologist but I am kind of shy, does an audiologist required to have a good communication skill?

Members don't see this ad.

short answer: yes.

long answer: yes, but you need good communication skills for any career you pick, even if you choose to become an accountant. but being shy doesn't have to prevent you from developing good professional counseling skills. you can work on it. and it's not the same as having social skills, although that certainly does help.

You can be a great audiologist and be shy. Trust me, most do not start out with good counseling/interaction abilities, but the more you do it, the better you get at it.

Some people are just people people and will flourish quickly, for others it takes work.

You don't even really have to be an outgoing person to be a great audiologist. I'm extremely shy and introverted and I have no problems interacting with patients. It's very different when you are the one in the driver's seat.

Comfort with the patient interactions will come, and even after several years you will still get uncomfortable with certain patients. I had one today!

Actually shy, introverted people make the best sales people. Partly it is because they listen to the patient and are not so extroverted to keep on talking..... That is a generalization, but just because you are shy doesn't mean you will not be an excellent audiologist.