AudiologyNOW 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrianaGrace17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I have the opportunity to attend AudiologyNOW in Anaheim this year as an undergrad. Do you think it's something worth spending my money on?

Members don't see this ad.

The Audiologists at the clinic where I volunteer said AAA can be pretty overwhelming for someone who's never been to an audiology conference. I went to the CAA convention in October (as a senior in undergrad) and that was just the right kind of overwhelming for me. I'd imagine AAA might be too much.

I attended it in Boston last year as an undergrad Senior.

In terms of financial commitment, it was 6 hours driving distance and some fellow undergrads carpooled together. I was able to stay (free) with a friend in the dorms at Northeastern, and I walked or took conference shuttles. Last year, undergrads did not pay a fee to attend the conference either, so it was very little expense for me, which influenced my decision. This year, for undergrads, the terms have been a bit different so I am unsure what the conference expense may be, if any.

In terms of experience/education, I loved it. Undergrads/students are encouraged to attend the "student" workshops, but these were very introductory and too low-pace for me. The main workshops were much cooler, and there is a huge variety of topics! I went to multiple sessions on the topic of music in audiology! Incredible experience.
There are some great events organized for members of SAA, and also my classmates who attended the parties had a great time. (I'm not a partier, I still had fun during the day seeing the exhibits and at the sessions.)

It all depends on your conference fee (if applicable?), travel costs, where you plan to stay, whether you know any students who will also attend, and what you hope to get out of the sessions offered. The events are just icing on the cake, really.

I'll be going again this year as a first-year, flying for 6.5 hours across the country. Next year it's Orlando, the year after in San Antonio. In my opinion, if you're travelling from somewhere within CA, this year's will be the closest to you geographically for awhile. It's worth a shot!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be going again this year as a first-year, flying for 6.5 hours across the country. Next year it's Orlando, the year after in San Antonio. In my opinion, if you're travelling from somewhere within CA, this year's will be the closest to you geographically for awhile. It's worth a shot!

Thanks! That makes me feel a little better. Undergrads can go for free if you're an undergrad member of SAA, which is new this year. There are a lot of cool neuroaudiology lectures this year that I'd be tickled pink to attend!

I would think that there would be MANY things there that would not be very useful for an undergraduate. However, I know the convention is free for students and undergrads. I personally am going this year (4th year AuD resident graduating in May) and I'm hoping I will get a lot out of it. I know a lot of first years from my school went and said it was fun but it would be even better the further along you are into the program.