Audit for excessive telephone prescriptions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can pharmacies be audited for excessive telephone prescriptions? Let's say the patient gets a topical antibiotic like clindamycin filled twice a month. The first prescription was a written prescription from the provider and every prescription after that for over a year was a telephone prescription. Is this something that they would look at? Also, let's say the patient and the pharmacist are the same person.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you giving yourself unauthorized refills ?

Members don't see this ad :)
At my store, we're not allowed to verify our own meds, but they nothing against us calling for refills, or preparing it before it's checked.

At my store, we're not allowed to verify our own meds, but they nothing against us calling for refills, or preparing it before it's checked.

Independent pharmacy. We have Micromerchant so once the prescription is entered and billed, that's the end of the computer's role in verification. So in order to do a proper medication review, I have to work drop-off and verification. It was quite exhausting today, 458 scripts in 11 hours. We hit 410 scripts within 8 hours but then it slowed down for the last 3 hours.

There's a verification screen for Micromerchant under the pharmacist's dashboard

There's a verification screen for Micromerchant under the pharmacist's dashboard

I noticed that but no one uses it here. The problem is that there is no specific pharmacist station. The computers are nowhere near the production area and the computer area has no room for anything other than paper, pens, and scripts.