Audition Rotations 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pokedoc

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Majority of programs have put reviewing apps on hold. Probably reasonable to not expect anything until the end of the month or later.

UCLA and Harbor-UCLA have postponed VSAS opening until April. At this time, we are not able to accept visiting students for May or June rotations (earliest starting July). Unfortunately that is the only information I have; VSAS previously was supposed to open on March 17th.

Members don't see this ad :)
if others have 30 apps out already then im crazy behind

Reactions: 1 users
My number 1 piece of advice for applicants, after matching into EM today (esp for DOs): apply to programs directly and not through VSAS. research and find programs that are not on VSAS, they will have more open spots. I found VSAS to be a complete bust.

Reactions: 1 user
My number 1 piece of advice for applicants, after matching into EM today (esp for DOs): apply to programs directly and not through VSAS. research and find programs that are not on VSAS, they will have more open spots. I found VSAS to be a complete bust.
I agree with this if there’s a program you actually want to go to that schedules outside of VSAS. However, there were programs I wanted to check out that only did VSAS and I didn’t have any issues getting multiple rotations that way (also a DO and I didn’t have stellar scores).

I think 30 apps sounds kind of crazy, so don't worry about being behind.

My school has a %10 success rate with VSAS so I was advised to put out that many apps to give myself a decent shot.

My school has a %10 success rate with VSAS so I was advised to put out that many apps to give myself a decent shot.

Fair enough. I'm sorry you have to apply to that many. I was advised 3-5 programs per slot. I think I did 15 with the notion of doing 3 aways (I'm a DO student).

Fair enough. I'm sorry you have to apply to that many. I was advised 3-5 programs per slot. I think I did 15 with the notion of doing 3 aways (I'm a DO student).
I have 10 for 2 slots so I think we are getting similar advice. And I have a third non-VSAS one scheduled, though it's on the east coast and I'm concerned they may cancel.

Hey guys,
I've submitted to 8 programs so far. No word back and I submitted to 6 this week and 2 the day they opened. No word back from any of them.

Anyone else in a similar boat?

I received an offer today on VSAS. Was for October tho. Nothing for earlier month.

What program wants the risk/bad press of having a visiting student get sick with this virus and land in their ICU?

Horrible year to be a student. I feel sorry for y’all.

Hey guys,
I've submitted to 8 programs so far. No word back and I submitted to 6 this week and 2 the day they opened. No word back from any of them.

Anyone else in a similar boat?

I have submitted ~12 and haven't heard anything yet!

What program wants the risk/bad press of having a visiting student get sick with this virus and land in their ICU?

Horrible year to be a student. I feel sorry for y’all.
it's very stressful ngl. my 2 top programs have postponed aways for right now and i'm desperately hoping that things change in the coming months.

they're both in NYC though so i'm not gonna hold my breath :(

I have submitted ~12 and haven't heard anything yet!

it's very stressful ngl. my 2 top programs have postponed aways for right now and i'm desperately hoping that things change in the coming months.

they're both in NYC though so i'm not gonna hold my breath :(

yeah I haven't heard anything yet either. def very stressful and kind of scary

yeah I haven't heard anything yet either. def very stressful and kind of scary

I know CORD sent out that monster letter about aways and SLOE's and tbh, with how things are going, I can envision LCME/whatever governing body outrightly cancelling all away rotations. It would surely be hell if 1/4 of students had aways and SLOE's and the others didn't.

i'm honestly freaking out. But I don't know what else to do but just wait. It's all ****ed

I don't know what to tell everyone. I just went through all our current rotation applicants tonight. I'm sure other programs are still wading through apps. The match just occurred and people have other priorities at the moment. And everything is so uncertain we don't even know that if we approve apps for rotation if the hospital will allow rotations at that point, and even if they do, if the schools themselves will. Its a terrible time to be a student, however its a terrible time for everyone. I just don't think there are easy answers, and I don't know at all how the match is going to work next year if this continues on and on.