"Audition" rotations vs. big name programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pyroclast

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

My school offers basically no elective time 3rd year, so I'll be trying to cram in the most effective 1-2 elective rotations in PM&R into the beginning of 4th year that I can. My question is whether it's better to try and do an audition rotation at a program where I'm interested, or go for a rotation at a top ranked program, where I may be able to get good letters of recommendation even if I don't end up going there. I've heard advice for both. Audition rotations make sense, but are limited to that particular program, whereas good LORs and a rotation at a top program may open doors at a number of other places. Sorry if this has been covered before, but I couldn't find where this particular question had come up before. Feel free to post links if it's been done to death already. Thanks for your help.

-Pyroclast

Members don't see this ad.

how about audition at a top program?

granted im waiting for the match results come march 20th, but i think (imho) that audition may be a better choice in attaining a residency position.

i've had one program make a note about one of my letters, which was written by a PD who was a resident of another program's chair. (did that make sense?)

but on other interviews where i rotated, it was much more laid back and a time for them to answer your questions as opposed to them asking you questions.

Hey all,

My school offers basically no elective time 3rd year, so I'll be trying to cram in the most effective 1-2 elective rotations in PM&R into the beginning of 4th year that I can. My question is whether it's better to try and do an audition rotation at a program where I'm interested, or go for a rotation at a top ranked program, where I may be able to get good letters of recommendation even if I don't end up going there. I've heard advice for both. Audition rotations make sense, but are limited to that particular program, whereas good LORs and a rotation at a top program may open doors at a number of other places. Sorry if this has been covered before, but I couldn't find where this particular question had come up before. Feel free to post links if it's been done to death already. Thanks for your help.

-Pyroclast

Fin-Nor, thanks for the reply. Yeah, I guess the ideal situation would be doing an audition rotation at a top program and getting a spot there. But there are several mid-tier programs I have my eye on, and I'm wondering if I should use my one away rotation for one of those to try and guarantee a spot, or if a rotation at a big name program would boost my chances at all of the mid-tier programs a little. I really wish I would have the time for two or three before I start applying. It'd be great to get to see these programs firsthand for several weeks and get to ask attendings and residents questions about them. But OTOH I have a feeling that if I rotate at someplace like RIC, they'll spend the time pimping the **** out of me and working me like a dog, which will hopefully give me a chance to shine. :rolleyes:

-Pyroclast

Members don't see this ad :)
why not do one of each... you mentioned you had room for 2 electives, is that right?

My strategy was to have a first/second draft of my personal statement written by the time I started 4th year. For the first month, I did a rotation that gave me time to focus on perfecting my personal statement as well as gave me time to prepare everything I needed for the application (resume, transcript, etc). Then the 2nd and 3rd month, I did one of each type of PM&R program (mid-tier and top notch).
I'm still waiting for the match... but I have been extremely happy with the places I have been interviewed.

Aim for the stars...
I wish you tons of good luck!

DRacula,
Thanks, that's good advice. But the more I look at the options my school is giving me, I think I'm going to have to end up only choosing one away elective rotation, so I'd better make it count. I'm leaning towards going for a "name" school, maybe Mayo in Arizona. It's all outpatient, which appeals more to me. Does anyone else have any advice on this subject, or what they think a good big name program would be to apply for? Thanks.

-Pyroclast

i would be very careful only doing an outpatient rotation at a place like Mayo Arizona which is a satellite location of the Mayo residency.

First of all, PDs like to see that you have been exposed to as many facets of PM&R as possible and that you understand the field and what you are getting yourself into. If you only do outpatient, you will not have a good grasp of the field. Many of your interviewers will be inpatient attendings so you should be able to show them you understand what rehab is all about.

Second, the Mayo Arizona site is a satellite - so you will not be exposed to a residency program. You will have no idea what resident life/training is all about if you do that.

Also - in regards to your previous post about being pimped at RIC - most attendings here are very approachable and laid back. Our residents are on the most part nice and personable. I haven't seen too many students get pimped in the past three years. There are probably a handful of attendings that I can think of who might "pimp" but it is nothing compared to the pimping I experienced during medical school. On a scale of 1-10, as a whole, PM&R is probably about a 2 or 3 in terms of hardcore pimping:laugh:

Most of us look for personality, interest, and general like-ability when medical students rotate with us. So unless you have a serious personality flaw that others have repeatedly pointed out to you, I wouldn't worry about rotations hurting you. I have seen about 1-2 students per year who were seriously offensive or unbearably arrogant. Otherwise, it can only help.