Audition rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnnyDoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How important is it for a DO student with a 230s on USMLE to do auditions for anesthesiology? Good number of volunteering experience, 2 research projects, 2 presentations.

Members don't see this ad.

Few things. First, it's important that you get an anesthesia LOR ready to go when applications are due. This means that you need to either already have one, or make sure that your first or second rotation is an anesthesia rotation where you can get a letter. I will say that despite doing several anesthesia rotations my fourth year, there were definitely pros and cons. I learned that there were places I didn't think I would like that actually ended up in my top 3 places for residency and places that I thought would be in my top 3 which fell off my list entirely. I did 4 anesthesia rotations and ended up at a place I did not do a rotation, BUT was a place I really, really wanted to go to. You get a feel of the ins and outs of certain places. I can say that 2 of the 4 places I rotated at, I despised the programs, immensely. They can definitely work in your favor either way. As a DO, and the upcoming competitiveness of the field, I would suggest them. Work hard, and even if you don't like the program, suck it up and always give your best.

If you understand social norms and have a decent work ethic, I think it’s a great idea. If not, skip it and rely on board scores.