Are away rotations required for anesthesia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigfootisreal

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
MD student with a slightly above average step. Are aways necessary? My home program does not have an anesthesia residency either.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Soon-to-be-intern here. Aways are not strictly required: I matched into a good program without any away rotations. (I assume you've done a home rotation, even if your hospital doesn't have a residency, correct?) I think with COVID they will likely be even less necessary.

That said, I do think they help. Many of my friends who matched into their top choices did away rotations there, and many top programs seem to favor students who've rotated there. You will almost certainly match somewhere without an away rotation, but if you want to be in a certain area of the country, or you want to match at a big-name program, then I do think it's a worthwhile investment. It's only four weeks, and it could make your life better for the next four years.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi there!

I just posted about away rotations on my blog [and my general thoughts for being successful during anesthesia rotations]: How to excel during your anesthesia sub-I/audition/elective/away rotation

Also, for 4th year medical students looking for and interactive educational opportunity and potential to learn about institutional culture, I'm trying to launch a Virtual Pre-Op Call program. For now, it would just be me leading the pilot calls, but my hope would be to recruit members from my institution [senior residents, fellows, attendings] to join in and lead calls as well as offer their thoughts on the program. Here's more information and the sign up: 4th Year Medical Student "Virtual Pre-op Call" Pilot for Anesthesiology Applicants

Hope these resources help and good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
There are some very robust discussions on this forum re aways that are worth searching for.

This year, it'll be tricky given Covid has stopped alot of away electives. I wonder if any program directors can comment on this.