auditions winter 4th yr?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Acherona

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an elective month in january open. I was wondering if people ever use the winter months to do a rotation at one of the programs they were offered an interview to check it out. Or is this not really feasible given invites come out as late as november? If not I am going to start looking for something fun to do then. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Well since the point of audition rotations is to check out the program and have them check you out, it seems to make little sense to do them after most program deadlines have passed and most interviews have been offered.

In addition, since programs are still interviewing in January, it wouldn't be too impressive if you kept taking time off to go to interviews at other programs while "auditioning". Sort of like talking to another guy while on a date with someone else.:p

Well since the point of audition rotations is to check out the program and have them check you out, it seems to make little sense to do them after most program deadlines have passed and most interviews have been offered.

In addition, since programs are still interviewing in January, it wouldn't be too impressive if you kept taking time off to go to interviews at other programs while "auditioning". Sort of like talking to another guy while on a date with someone else.:p

OK, well I thought it might help during rank time if you worked with them for a month or if you wanted to check out the program more closely. So I will do something fun instead :)

What would be your advice regarding an audition rotation in November?

I've heard that interviews can also fall in November which could also cause problems between balancing interviews and "auditioning"

What would be your advice regarding an audition rotation in November?

I've heard that interviews can also fall in November which could also cause problems between balancing interviews and "auditioning"

Depends on the rotation. If you are really trying to impress them, as I noted above, leaving a few days every couple of weeks is not likely to do it.

Everyone knows when interview season is, so most programs won't be a hardass about taking a day or two off. But more competitive ones might and certainly more than a couple of days is outside the realm of acceptable...you might also check with your school; they may also have rules about how many days you can miss and still get credit.

This is why audition rotations are supposed to be done between July and October.

Reactions: 1 user
OK, well I thought it might help during rank time if you worked with them for a month or if you wanted to check out the program more closely. So I will do something fun instead :)

Then that is a reasonable excuse to do a rotation then if you wanted to learn a little bit more about a program that you've interviewed at (although generally a day long second look is adequate), but I wouldn't do it as an "audition" necessarily because presumably you've already applied and interviewed at the program by January. I would feel a bit strange if I had applied to a program, not gotten an interview and then ended up having to go there for an audition after the fact. A bit awkward, IMHO.

Also bear in mind that auditions are double edged swords...they can help the person who is not so good on paper but great in person but can hurt the socially inept misfit (not that you are one of these...just be careful).

Depends on the rotation. If you are really trying to impress them, as I noted above, leaving a few days every couple of weeks is not likely to do it.

Everyone knows when interview season is, so most programs won't be a hardass about taking a day or two off. But more competitive ones might and certainly more than a couple of days is outside the realm of acceptable...you might also check with your school; they may also have rules about how many days you can miss and still get credit.

This seems a reasonable response from the programs. But what I can't understand is how people interview at 15+ places without taking more than a couple days off. I have mandatory rotations in Nov and Dec, I just hope they don't care.

This seems a reasonable response from the programs. But what I can't understand is how people interview at 15+ places without taking more than a couple days off. I have mandatory rotations in Nov and Dec, I just hope they don't care.

Either they spread those 15 interviews over the entire interview season.

Some places interview on the weekends, so they could possibly arrange interviews without missing time.

They may be on a light rotation - I was doing a research block during Nov-Dec my 4th year, so as long as I got the work done, no one cared where I was day to day.

Or they just told rotation supervisors that they were going to be gone for interviews and let the chips fall where they may.

Frankly, I'm ok with students being away for a few days but 4 weeks is a short rotation and if they were gone for the majority of the month I would have a hard time evaluating someone. I suspect others feel the same way.

Then that is a reasonable excuse to do a rotation then if you wanted to learn a little bit more about a program that you've interviewed at (although generally a day long second look is adequate), but I wouldn't do it as an "audition" necessarily because presumably you've already applied and interviewed at the program by January. I would feel a bit strange if I had applied to a program, not gotten an interview and then ended up having to go there for an audition after the fact. A bit awkward, IMHO.

Also bear in mind that auditions are double edged swords...they can help the person who is not so good on paper but great in person but can hurt the socially inept misfit (not that you are one of these...just be careful).

Had my first AOA surg interview today at a place I honestly thought I had no shot at. Being my first one, some of my answers were admittedly unpolished. I have an opportunity to complete an audition with them in Nov, but have some reservations:

1) Possibility of burnout by then and not performing at a high level
2) May have to miss a few days for interviews

Do I forgo the audition and hope that my interview performance was sufficient? Or should I do the audition, given my hesitation? I'd appreciate any input