SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!


Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by DoHzA, Feb 27, 2002.

  1. DoHzA

    DoHzA I AM A CHAMPION! 7+ Year Member

    Jan 23, 2002
    Cali baby!
    OKAY Here's the deal...
    This is the position I'm in:
    Originally I was supposed to take the MCAT this april and then apply to DO schools and MD schools all around. Then the other day in the E.R. I was bombarded by suggestions and ideas from RN's LVN's EMT's M.D.'s D.O.'s & PA's about what I should do with my life. Well being the indecisive moron that I am I decided to cancel my Kaplan MCAT class and focus on applying to PA school instead. A few days later, I realized I was tossing my life long dream away for a cheap way out. Now i'm back full steam with the med school goal in mind BUT which MCAT to take is the question. If i take the april mcat i will score poorly but have my app complete. if i take the aug mcat my app will be complete but alot later than the rest of the applicants. or Choice C is to wait till next year and take next year's April MCAT. I mean sheesh I'm only 22...I have enough time...right?
    Which one would u choose? :confused:
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Jersey Girl

    Jersey Girl Member 7+ Year Member

    Feb 17, 2002
    Central Jersey
    Hey there,

    I know your situation. I took my MCAT last august and applied to medschool over the summer. I am going to NYCOM this august. I suggest you take the April MCAT. I know it is hard to do with class, but taking the august MCAT was a huge disadvantage for me. It took longer for my applications to be complete, inturn making it less likely for me to get an interview. By the time my secondaries, letters of reccomendation and other supporting materiels were in, many schools had already accepted a huge portion of their class. This makes the competition for those last few seats fierce. I am glad I got into NYCOM, I really like the school and I am excited about going there. But I feel that I would have had more opportunities if I had taken my April MCAT instead. Also, if you take your April MCAT and are unhappy with your score, you are still in test mode and can keep studying through august. If you are going to improve your score, that is your best shot at it because everything is still fresh in your head. Hope that helps.
  4. Doc AdamK in 2006

    Doc AdamK in 2006 Now 2 year UB Med Doc 7+ Year Member

    Feb 23, 2002
    Defintely Buffalo
    I think a huge part of applying to schools is applying early. I t would be more difficult, unless your the greatest student to already start behind everyone else.

    I would take so practice exams that Princeton offers either on the web or buy some books and score yourself. I f you don't feel comfortable with your score before the April exam, don't take it. Becasue you really can't erase that you scored poorly or that you dedcided to not receord you score.

  5. drmoon

    drmoon Senior Member 7+ Year Member

    Jan 18, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Since most schools are on rolling admissions, it is a distinct advantage to do the April MCAT. I didn't decide to take the April exam until late January (and the last time I took my science classes was 10+ years ago). I'm hoping for the best, but believe that an early app with mediocre MCAT's is far better than a later app with only slightly improved MCAT's.
  6. drchris33

    drchris33 MSIV 7+ Year Member

    Jan 25, 2002
    Grand Blanc, MI
    I would definitely take the April MCAT. For one thing, if you do totally bomb it, you can always re-take it in August and still be on the same interviewing/application year. If you wait till August, then you only have one shot and will be behind in the application game. It is a hell of a lot of paperwork.
    I didnt do that great on the MCAT (21) and I am attending UHS this fall (Class of 2006)

  7. zoeylynn

    zoeylynn New Member

    Feb 4, 2002
    I took the August MCAT and it worked out fine for me. I started the application process in June, received secondaries before I even took the MCAT, and just waited for my MCAT score to be sent in October. I had all of my interviews in December and found out around the first of the year where I was accepted. I would agree with the others, however, about having a second shot in August if you score poorly in April. Good luck!
  8. Detroit Mick

    Detroit Mick The Supinator 7+ Year Member

    Feb 3, 2002
    If I could do it over again, I'd take the MCAT in August prior to my Senior year and take a year off in bewteen college and medical to concentrate on the application process.
  9. J.Pearlman

    J.Pearlman Member 7+ Year Member

    Jan 8, 2002
    What if you are taking the mcats for the second time, should i still take the april one. If i dont do good and take the august one, would it still be ok? If not, then is waiting to take the august one that bad of an idea (since the post rite above says it wasnt that bad and i feel i can take the august but apply around june, and be alright)

    Thanks for the help everyone.
  10. PTjay

    PTjay Senior Member 7+ Year Member

    Apr 27, 2001
    west hartford, CT, USA
    i'm basically on the plan that detroit mick is suggesting (except i'll be finishing my master's degree in PT while going through the application process, MCAT this august).

    i was planning on the april test but figured i won't be applying for a while anyway, why rush. this way i get to take kaplan prep as well (too much work to do right now with grad school).

    good luck to all the april MCATers!!!

Share This Page