Aug/Sep DAT club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

'11

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just thought we never had a thread for those who haven't taken the test yet and are preparing for it
in this thread you can post:
1)science questions on practice test you have done already, especially the ones that you think you don't understand even with reading the explanations
2)math word problems (no simple algebra please!), again the really hard ones.

anyone is welcome to post their questions and answer other people questions
so let's keep it a good and effective study group
thank you
'11

PS here is a hard science question:

1.which of the following is not a true statement?
a)eukaryotics have TATA box in their promotor for RNA polymerase to bind on
b)translation has a positive delata G (nonspontanous)
c)eukaryotic cells add a methylated guanine at the 5'cap & polyAdenine @ 3'
d)prokaryotic mRNA usually codes for only one protein while eukaryots codes for many
e)DNA gyrase twists DNA and makes a supercoil

ANSWER is D, and the revers statement is true

Members don't see this ad.

[QUOTE='11]I just thought we never had a thread for those who haven't taken the test yet and are preparing for it
in this thread you can post:
1)science questions on practice test you have done already, especially the ones that you think you don't understand even with reading the explanations
2)math word problems (no simple algebra please!), again the really hard ones.

anyone is welcome to post their questions and answer other people questions
so let's keep it a good and effective study group
thank you
'11

PS here is a hard science question:

1.which of the following is not a true statement?
a)eukaryotics have TATA box in their promotor for RNA polymerase to bind on
b)translation has a positive delata G (nonspontanous)
c)eukaryotic cells add a methylated guanine at the 5'cap & polyAdenine @ 3'
d)prokaryotic mRNA usually codes for only one protein while eukaryots codes for many
e)DNA gyrase twists DNA and makes a supercoil

ANSWER is D, and the revers statement is true[/QUOTE]

That is a pretty tough question. I have a couple for you.

If N is any positive integer, how many consecutive integers following N are needed to insure that at least one of the integers is divisible by another positive integer m?

A. m-1
B. m
C. m+1
D. 2m
E. m^2

Stella has 3 quarters and 4 dimes. How many different amounts can she form with these 7 coins, using at least one coin each time?

A. 8
B. 19
C. 20
D. 21
E. 25

please find your answers in kaplan math subjet tests
good questions thu

Members don't see this ad :)
[QUOTE='11]please find your answers in kaplan math subjet tests
good questions thu[/QUOTE]

I know the answers. Just wondering if you did. :smuggrin:

Answer this one from Tom Servo!

I am racking my brain!

QR Word Problem - Capture Area

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Could someone please explain the Algebra approach to this problem:

A 120 m trapping net stretched out into a 3-sided rectangular corral is used to front a flowing river. What value of widths (w), being parallel to the riverbanks, will provide the corral with largest capturing area?

A. w = 15 m
B. w = 20 m
C. w = 25 m
D. w = 30 m
E. w = 35 m

I'm stuck as to how the author came up with an answer for this one. Thanks in advance! " :mad:

I was thinking a possible triangle trig approach. What do you guys think?

allstardentist said:
i agree wit u 11. prokaryotes= polycistronic, eukaryotes=monocistronic

hey allstar,

do you think you can elaborate on this? I seem to have forgotten what it means to be monocistronic/polycistronic. does it mean that the mRNA in eukaryotes can only code for a single protein? whereas the prokaryote can mRNA can code for multiple proteins? thanx.

I feel like I don't have a lot of time to study so I wondering how detailed is Biology on the DAT. like do you have to know endocrine system, neuroscience in and out because we never covered that stuff in my bio classes.

For some reason, I am in the freaking out mode and I don't know how to overcome this fear of not doing well. I take my DAT around the first week of september.

busdent said:
I feel like I don't have a lot of time to study so I wondering how detailed is Biology on the DAT. like do you have to know endocrine system, neuroscience in and out because we never covered that stuff in my bio classes.

For some reason, I am in the freaking out mode and I don't know how to overcome this fear of not doing well. I take my DAT around the first week of september.

I'd definitely go over the overview of neuroscience and endocrine stuff (the main hormones and what they do) covered in Kaplan. I hadn't learned about those in much detail in my general bio classes, so Kaplan and Examcrackers Biology were good resources for me.

Good luck to you, you still have plenty of time to review before your test day :thumbup:

dental#1 said:
Answer this one from Tom Servo!

I am racking my brain!

QR Word Problem - Capture Area

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Could someone please explain the Algebra approach to this problem:

A 120 m trapping net stretched out into a 3-sided rectangular corral is used to front a flowing river. What value of widths (w), being parallel to the riverbanks, will provide the corral with largest capturing area?

A. w = 15 m
B. w = 20 m
C. w = 25 m
D. w = 30 m
E. w = 35 m

I'm stuck as to how the author came up with an answer for this one. Thanks in advance! " :mad:

So, is this question saying you are going to make a "U" shaped trap to catch stuff as the water passes by and how can we maximize the area within the U both depth and cross length?

"3-sided rectangle" and "front a river" man those are some funky terms.