Augsburg University PsyD, Class of 2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just an FYI, before Argosy, ended up shutting down for stealing financial aid funds the PsyD program had just received reaccreditation for I believe the next 10 years. Shortly after is when things got crazy. Augsburg's program has the same curriculum as the Argosy program and some of the professors who taught at Argosy are now teaching at Augsburg. Argosy wasn't shut down because of academic reasons, it closed because of misappropriation of funds. There are always new psychology programs that pop up, and accreditation will always be a risk. However, I think there will be a minimal risk since the entire program has the same curriculum as the program that had just received reaccreditation status. Also, PsyD programs are expensive. You usually don't receive funding for PsyD programs because they are not research-based.

Members don't see this ad.

Just an FYI, before Argosy, ended up shutting down for stealing financial aid funds the PsyD program had just received reaccreditation for I believe the next 10 years. Shortly after is when things got crazy. Augsburg's program has the same curriculum as the Argosy program and some of the professors who taught at Argosy are now teaching at Augsburg. Argosy wasn't shut down because of academic reasons, it closed because of misappropriation of funds. There are always new psychology programs that pop up, and accreditation will always be a risk. However, I think there will be a minimal risk since the entire program has the same curriculum as the program that had just received reaccreditation status. Also, PsyD programs are expensive. You usually don't receive funding for PsyD programs because they are not research-based.

Curriculum is only part of the accreditation process.

However, I think there will be a minimal risk since the entire program has the same curriculum as the program that had just received reaccreditation status. Also, PsyD programs are expensive. You usually don't receive funding for PsyD programs because they are not research-based.
Even if the academics of the program are stellar, as you’ve implied, there is inherent risk taking on $100k+ for a degree where you’ll earn $70k starting (not counting postdoc years where we’re talking more like $40k). In most scenarios, not a good decision.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Argosy was a diploma mill. Having the same curriculum is a bad thing.

Reactions: 1 users
I’ve just found this thread and I’ve applied to the Augsburg PsyD program for the Fall of 2021 and have an interview tomorrow. I’m curious about what OP decided to in regards of attending the program or not.

Reactions: 1 user
I’ve just found this thread and I’ve applied to the Augsburg PsyD program for the Fall of 2021 and have an interview tomorrow. I’m curious about what OP decided to in regards of attending the program or not.

Could you please report back on what interview day is like, and what information is given to you?

I think this would be good for all of us on the board to know (as we mentor people in your position) as well as future prospective students.

Reactions: 2 users
Could you please report back on what interview day is like, and what information is given to you?

I think this would be good for all of us on the board to know (as we mentor people in your position) as well as future prospective students.
Bumping this thread to hopefully receive further information on this!

I am currently considering an offer to attend this program in the Fall of 2021. I am waitlisted by two other programs, and feel hesitant to accept the offer to Augsburg even if it is my only option. I'll provide a rundown of information that I am aware of and also how the interview day went. Also - the current status of APA accreditation.

It is my understanding that the old program had a licensure rate of 87% and and APA internship match rate between 90-95%. Those rates sound high to me, but I frankly do not know enough about different programs and their rates to make any valid judgement.

The interview day went well in my estimation, there were a total of 9 of us in the interview over Zoom. The admissions counselor was their as well as the program director and one faculty member. We introduced ourselves and got to know a bit more about the program. They heavily stressed the importance of attending an APA accredited program and also explicitly said multiple times that attending their program currently was a risk as they are not APA accredited and cannot guarantee that they will be in the future. They current status of their APA accreditation is that they have a site-visit planned between September-December (which was supposed be be last year, but was delayed because of COVID). I attended a Happy Hour zoom call a month ago and the faculty basically told me that they were more than 100% confident that they would receive APA accreditation after the site-visit. Obviously, they do not know that, but it is my understanding that their interactions with the APA are very positive and the current teach-out students who are APA accredited had to go through the same process before attending Augsburg. So my program (being the same as the teach-out students) should have no reason not to be accepted by the APA.

I have read all the negatives about Argosy, but the former program (Minnesota School of Professional Psychology) I have also heard to be an exception to the other programs that Argosy offered (being much better quality/smaller cohorts/etc).

Please let me know your thoughts or concerns! I'll try to provide any other information as well that I am able to.

Bumping this thread to hopefully receive further information on this!

I am currently considering an offer to attend this program in the Fall of 2021. I am waitlisted by two other programs, and feel hesitant to accept the offer to Augsburg even if it is my only option. I'll provide a rundown of information that I am aware of and also how the interview day went. Also - the current status of APA accreditation.

It is my understanding that the old program had a licensure rate of 87% and and APA internship match rate between 90-95%. Those rates sound high to me, but I frankly do not know enough about different programs and their rates to make any valid judgement.

The interview day went well in my estimation, there were a total of 9 of us in the interview over Zoom. The admissions counselor was their as well as the program director and one faculty member. We introduced ourselves and got to know a bit more about the program. They heavily stressed the importance of attending an APA accredited program and also explicitly said multiple times that attending their program currently was a risk as they are not APA accredited and cannot guarantee that they will be in the future. They current status of their APA accreditation is that they have a site-visit planned between September-December (which was supposed be be last year, but was delayed because of COVID). I attended a Happy Hour zoom call a month ago and the faculty basically told me that they were more than 100% confident that they would receive APA accreditation after the site-visit. Obviously, they do not know that, but it is my understanding that their interactions with the APA are very positive and the current teach-out students who are APA accredited had to go through the same process before attending Augsburg. So my program (being the same as the teach-out students) should have no reason not to be accepted by the APA.

I have read all the negatives about Argosy, but the former program (Minnesota School of Professional Psychology) I have also heard to be an exception to the other programs that Argosy offered (being much better quality/smaller cohorts/etc).

Please let me know your thoughts or concerns! I'll try to provide any other information as well that I am able to.

I am not a gambling man. Much less a gamble that has a $100k buy-in, will cost you years of time, and may leave you in a precarious position for the career you want. The other option is to spend another year or two strengthening your application by pursuing research experience and reapplying to funded programs.

Reactions: 3 users
I am not a gambling man. Much less a gamble that has a $100k buy-in, will cost you years of time, and may leave you in a precarious position for the career you want. The other option is to spend another year or two strengthening your application by pursuing research experience and reapplying to funded programs.

I agree with you. I made a separate post a few days ago and received a ton of really beneficial advice and guidance. I'm definitely going to reapply next cycle with a strengthened application in the hopes I can get into a funded/partially funded program.

Thank you for your advice as well. :)