August 04- Study Progress.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zeeMD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi There,
I am just wondering how is everyone else study progress going. I dont seem to have gotten too far.. Studying only 2-3 chapters per subject.. When does everyone plan to start with questions/passages.. practice.

Bye
zeeMD

Members don't see this ad.

I was studying pretty hardcore for the APRIL MCAT ... but postponed till august...so my brain is still pretty much dead.

I don't plan on looking at anything till mid May. Then i'll start reviewing the notes I made on each subject....and then by early June I will just do problems/passages/practice full-lengths everyday until the exam.

I plan on destroying the August MCAT. (lol...I wish...)

But a friend of mine who got a 39 told me that it's all about attitude. If you seriously believe that you will OWN the MCAT...then you'll end up doing it. So let's do this.

bump

I had originally studied for the April MCAT, but changed my mind and decided to go for the August administration instead...

Under my higher score guarentee with Kaplan, I am allowed retake the course for free :clap: So, essentially, I'm starting all over again...Although it's a bit of a pain to learn everything from scratch, it's a good way for me to really work harder at understanding some basic concepts that I kept getting wrong on my previous practice tests.

For right now, I'm not touching the material until I've made a study schedule. Without it, I'm not going to do well at all. My downfall last time can be summed up in one equation:

procrastination + too much disorganization = bad, bad, bad practice exam scores

For anyone else studying for the August exam, let's keep in touch and keep this thread up and running :) :)

I took the April 2001 MCAT and got a 24 - took it cold (well I took two practice exams a week before the test - I scored 30's), I then took the April 2003 MCAT (studied using Princeton Review books) and got a 29. I am now going to order the ExamKrackers and study my butt off for Aug 2004... 34+ here I come!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys!!
I haven't started yet! :) I'm taking the last ochem and the last physics this quarter though (yuck, i'm studying circuits tonight and i hate em!) so that's studying I suppose.

I'm not doing anything but mcat this summer and I have nine weeks. I'm thinking 9 hours a day/6 days a week...But we'll see.

I guess I should also say I'm a first time taker but not applying til the cycle after next..if that makes sense. :)

hey guys ! I am taking the august one too...I studied a lot for the april one and yet I feel that with more practice I can do better in august (I did take the april one though so we'll see)...I am also going to take kaplan again for free but I think what I need most is practice and to brush up on my weak topics using kaplan...practice practice practice ! let's keep in touch y'all! and I totally agree that it's all about attitude, we can rock this baby if we put our minds to it ! good luck everyone and keep in touch ! :D

p.s. did anybody on here take it twice, any advice on how to study the second time ? thanks !

I too was studying hardcore for the April exam but when I got a 29 on one of the AAMC tests I decided to wait until I was really ready. I was taking Princeton Review and my tutors projected I would probably get 30 on the MCAT but I wanted more. For the summer I plan to take the ExamKrackers course. Some may think that's too much money to be spending but I think it will be worth it. I don't want to lose what I've learned so I still do practice passages and I'm remaking alot of my notes as a way of forcing myself to go over everything.

I'm retaking the kaplan class as well... and that doesn't start til mid may. i'm letting my brain have a mini-holiday before i crack down and do some serious studying

Hey there, I'm planning on writing the August MCAT too. It'll be my first time, and I've signed up for a TPR course. Writing finals as we speak, so direct MCAT prep won't start 'til another few weeks.

About a month ago, I took a Diagnostic TPR test online and I did pretty horrible. Pretty horrible, as in a combined score in the mid-teens. :( Would it be unrealistic to think that I could double my score by August with extended study and practice? By the end of this term, I'll have taken General Chem, Orgo, Physics, Bio, Biochem, and Neuroscience. I'm not working this summer so I'll have ample time for MCAT prep. Although I know a lot of people don't do well on their Diagnostic, it really was a wakeup call for me! I know where I stand as of now, just curious as to know if it would be worthwhile to take the actual MCAT this summer after a pretty dismal Diagnostic. Suggestions?

Those diagnostics, especiially the free online one, are meant to be difficult. The average for mine was in the teens as well, so don't be discouraged. I took TPR too and was able to raise my score significantly.

Do they have Examkrackers in your area? Check them out too at www.examkrackers.com. I supplemented some of their materials with TPR--but it might be beneficial to go all out EK. Just pick whatever fits you best.

Yesterday I went and grabbed some flashcards from a bookstore at UT Southwest. Something like 384 cards for all the MCAT subjects (except verbal, obviously).

At first I was a little nervous since it has been 20 years since I've had physics. What I found though is that I'm nailing the biology,chemistry and orgo flashcards and some of the physics. It was a real boost to my confidence. Like a previous poster said, it's probably all about attitude.

After finals in May, I'm going to review physics and hit the Kaplan course - HARD.

I also took the april mcat but gut feeling is telling me that I didnt get 30+ so after my finals I plan to start from scratch again. I think I will have a much better chance at doing well since I am also taking physics 2 this summer. Anyone here ever use exam crackers stuff? I have a friend who used audio osmosis by jordan and john who also took it this april and he said some of it was good and some was a waste of time. I listened to the physical science part and found it not to go in depth on a lot of the subjects they really only skimmed the surface if that. However I am wondering if their practice tests and problems are worth buying? Thanks