August 17th CBSE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Exactly! You can use it to learn the material - but don't go through the hell of keeping up reviews.

Interesting. I am actually planning on using Anki for review rather than learning the material. I'm using B&B to get the foundation down and then the Lightyear deck to make sure I am not forgetting concepts as I move along. We'll see how effective that turns out to be though. Also, thanks for your breakdown, it was really insightful. Congrats on doing well!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
199. Apparently a 69. Do I have a chance? I'm 5 years out of dental school and hoping to apply.

199. Apparently a 69. Do I have a chance? I'm 5 years out of dental school and hoping to apply.
Yes, of course there is a chance. You need to play to your strengths on the application and perhaps consider more 4yrs than 6yrs.

Reactions: 1 users
Surprised they didn’t release a range this time.

Heard 22 stinks cause it’s all anatomy. Don’t know about 23. 21 and 24 just seems to be closer to 18.

20 is soul crushing. For example 230 on 20 but got above 240 on 21 and 24.
Haven’t looked at 23, and I don’t see a reason to take too many of them. Taking 2-3 along the way to gauge progress.

The two best are 18 and UWSA2.
20 just messed me up

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
do most people’s cbse scores improve from their nbme scores? also, does anyone know if we’re on a different curve than the medical students?

do most people’s cbse scores improve from their nbme scores? also, does anyone know if we’re on a different curve than the medical students?

Same curve as med students. Most people do go up on the actually test. From what I've read here on sdn and talking to people, it seems that people that score low on nbme's (~50) can see a 10 point increase on the cbse. As your score goes up, there's less of a gain. Maybe only a point or two higher when you're looking at 75+. With that said, I've also read about and personally know people that saw a drop in their score. I know someone that had a 7 point drop in score. Nerves can get to you on test day. The early nbme's are also easier so they can give a false sense of security. Also, it's worth mentioning that you should take the nbme's as legit as you can. Don't cheat and don't go over on time. If you do, there's no point in using them as a predictor.

Members don't see this ad :)

they predict your score pretty accurately. Of course there’s going to be some variability.

one thing I noticed with the old NBMEs is that almost all of the questions were covered somewhere in first aid or Uworld. On the CBSE there was about ~10-15% I have never seen before/couldn’t possibly have seen before. I think the curve for the NBME and CBSE are different so that in the end what you get on the NBME and CBSE are pretty close.

not exactly sure with the new forms

Sounds like they use current NBME exams. Would you guys That took it say it’s closer to 23/24 ones? Or 18? Some Meds Say 23/24 are trickier.

Sounds like they use current NBME exams. Would you guys That took it say it’s closer to 23/24 ones? Or 18? Some Meds Say 23/24 are trickier.
I think the repeat questions came from the older NBMEs/ NBME 18. The newer NBMEs are definitely harder.

I thought 18 and 24 were good and closer to the real thing. 21 was hard, felt like I was struggling the whole time, but scored similar to the others. I've heard similar things about all 3 from other people and online.

I thought 18 and 24 were good and closer to the real thing. 21 was hard, felt like I was struggling the whole time, but scored similar to the others. I've heard similar things about all 3 from other people and online.
Nice to hear. I disliked 21. Did 24 got 18 left this weekend. 24 was my best so far but it’s also right before exam so I don’t think previous exams I did were predictive.
Heard there are repeats? Like actually word for word? Like 1-2 q’s or more? I wasn’t expecting that but definitely not complaining.

Nice to hear. I disliked 21. Did 24 got 18 left this weekend. 24 was my best so far but it’s also right before exam so I don’t think previous exams I did were predictive.
Heard there are repeats? Like actually word for word? Like 1-2 q’s or more? I wasn’t expecting that but definitely not complaining.
I might vaguely remember there being a couple repeats throughout the 3 I did, but I think I remember some really similar questions on the real exam too, that doesn’t make the NBMEs less useful.

I might vaguely remember there being a couple repeats throughout the 3 I did, but I think I remember some really similar questions on the real exam too, that doesn’t make the NBMEs less useful.
Nah that doesn’t hurt haha. Even similar q’s are nice just for sake of feeling comfortable with what they ask! We’ll see how it goes. Pretty soon ima join some of you (fingers crossed) and have this behind me too

Last edited:
Nah that doesn’t hurt haha. Even similar q’s are nice just for sake of feeling comfortable with what they ask! We’ll see how it goes. Pretty soon ima join some of you (fingers crossed) and have this bring me too

We will welcome you to the other side. Soon bruh.... Soon

they predict your score pretty accurately. Of course there’s going to be some variability.

one thing I noticed with the old NBMEs is that almost all of the questions were covered somewhere in first aid or Uworld. On the CBSE there was about ~10-15% I have never seen before/couldn’t possibly have seen before. I think the curve for the NBME and CBSE are different so that in the end what you get on the NBME and CBSE are pretty close.

not exactly sure with the new forms

PatsMan1 eh?

Did you guys find the NBME subject examination sample items representative of the actual exam?

Just took 18. Anyone else thought like 10+ questions are flat out wrong? Honestly I really disliked 18 everyone praises it as a great exam. I would take the 20-24 any day. At least every answer was nonequivocally correct

Just took 18. Anyone else thought like 10+ questions are flat out wrong? Honestly I really disliked 18 everyone praises it as a great exam. I would take the 20-24 any day. At least every answer was nonequivocally correct
I took 18 today as well. Def thought a few of the ethical questions were whack, but I checked FA and UW and everything checked out on my end.

I took 18 today as well. Def thought a few of the ethical questions were whack, but I checked FA and UW and everything checked out on my end.
On the q on chronic pancreatitis how is phospholipase A2 wrong? BNB says word for word pro-phosphopilase A2 is an enzyme from pancreas. Am I missing something here?
Question on 21 hydroxylase? How is the na level normal? Shouldn’t 11b hydroxylase be answer when corticosterone is made? No mineralocorticoid is made when you have 21 deficiency.
lastly the q on the dexamethasone administration why no change no change in ACTH and cortisol? Doesn’t he have adenoma of fascicularis and dexamethasone should inhibit cortisol?

Thx If you can help out with these. I went through other q’s and I guess I was wrong. had a rough morning so it was a rough start hopefully gonna be smooth next week lol

On the q on chronic pancreatitis how is phospholipase A2 wrong? BNB says word for word pro-phosphopilase A2 is an enzyme from pancreas.

Lipase is diagnostic of pancreatitis (hence the answer was co-lipase)

Am I missing something here?
Question on 21 hydroxylase? How is the na level normal? Shouldn’t 11b hydroxylase be answer when corticosterone is made? No mineralocorticoid is made when you have 21 deficiency.

17-hydroxyprogesterone is diagnostic of 21-hydroxylase deficiency (not sure if you’re referring to this one)

lastly the q on the dexamethasone administration why no change no change in ACTH and cortisol? Doesn’t he have adenoma of fascicularis and dexamethasone should inhibit cortisol?

A tumor of that is secreting a ton of cortisol will not be inhibited by another, exogenous cortisol analog (-sone drugs). The patient has zero ACTH levels basically so the tumor has a mind of its own and is blasting away. Tbh, I don’t think anything would suppress it.

Thx If you can help out with these. I went through other q’s and I guess I was wrong. had a rough morning so it was a rough start hopefully gonna be smooth next week lol

Figured I’d attempt. I think I answered the questions you were referring to. Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Figured I’d attempt. I think I answered the questions you were referring to. Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN
Thanks! I think I got them now. Cool how these NBME’s show you your weak spots. Too bad real test will to haha. I think I at least understand all the ones I got wrong so I’ll go from there and try to pay attention cause a bunch of ones I got wrong I just made dumb mistake. Missed more in last section cause fatigue but also just submitted before time was up so big lesson is stay there till the end

Thanks! I think I got them now. Cool how these NBME’s show you your weak spots. Too bad real test will to haha. I think I at least understand all the ones I got wrong so I’ll go from there and try to pay attention cause a bunch of ones I got wrong I just made dumb mistake. Missed more in last section cause fatigue but also just submitted before time was up so big lesson is stay there till the end
ya I just did my first paid one and did 24. newer ones ive heard are much harder - less "gimme" points.