August 2014 SGU Class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
when is this crunch goin to hit that everyone keeps talking about? if the feds pass the increase in GME funding that Obama proposed will this crunch still be a major issue?

I think what Obama is proposing in the 2015 budget is very confusing. This was released in March. On one hand, he says he has a "workforce initiative" to increase the number of primary care spots. At the same time, he says he's going to overall cut funding paid to hospitals for GME training.

I don't think the people working in the budget office actually understand the problem. They are just trying to make the numbers work. I have no clue what's going to happen, but third-party billing by residents (abandoned in the late 1980's) might make a return.

Current regs (CMS) are here: https://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Ed...roducts/downloads/gdelinesteachgresfctsht.pdf

-Skip

Members don't see this ad :)
i did not know GME funding is suppose to be cut? how does this make sense with a shortage approaching?

however the president’s budget includes $402 billion in health-related cuts over 10 years, including cuts to providers and cuts in payments to teaching hospitals for doctor training and complex patient care

https://www.aamc.org/advocacy/washh...dgetproposesworkforceprogramalterationsn.html

They have to pay for it somehow. The large print giveth, the small print taketh away.

-Skip

Again it's not clear specifically what he means by this. I'm not sure it is for resident stipends. It sounds like it might be some goalposting program where residencies have to meet certain competitive criteria to get money. This is the new (idiotic) paradigm the government has adopted: pay for performance. It's stupid. The endpoints are often meaningless. And it results in cherry-picking of patients and... ahem... creative charting to make sure the endpoints are met, whether or not they actually were met. There's no indication to date that these actually improve healthcare delivery or patient outcome. They certainly add cost.

-Skip

Hey,
I am a Canadian student and Ive gotten into the KBTGSP for Jan 2015. But ive become very hesitant upon hearing that you cannot get residency in NJ. Since NJ is the second largest state in which SGU graduates have found residency, is this a big disadvantage ? Can anyone please advise me if GSP is a good choice or not is there any advantages or disadvantages ?

Hey,
I am a Canadian student and Ive gotten into the KBTGSP for Jan 2015. But ive become very hesitant upon hearing that you cannot get residency in NJ. Since NJ is the second largest state in which SGU graduates have found residency, is this a big disadvantage ? Can anyone please advise me if GSP is a good choice or not is there any advantages or disadvantages ?

They had 24 appointments in New Jersey alone this year. Found on this list:

http://postgrad.sgu.edu/ResidencyAppointmentDirectory.aspx?year=2014

Not sure where you heard this (?).

-Skip

They had 24 appointments in New Jersey alone this year. Found on this list:

http://postgrad.sgu.edu/ResidencyAppointmentDirectory.aspx?year=2014

Not sure where you heard this (?).

-Skip

KBT Scholars from SGU cannot currently do their clinical rotations in NJ. Apparently they have some weird wording in their state regs that require students to have done their 2 years of basic sciences in the same country. Since KBT does 1 year in the UK and 1 year in Grenada, they are ineligible for clinical rotations in M3 and M4 in NJ. I'm not sure if this holds true for residency placement, however. Anybody wanting to practice in NJ and/or California should REALLY see to their due diligence and ensure they will be able to go there as an IMG, they have bizzaro regs.

Hey,

I know lots of students that have done it, and every one of them loved their time in Northumbria. There are a few additional hoops to jump through for clinicals and residency placement but I don't think it's anything too severe. The class size is significantly smaller, and the attrition rate is much much lower. The quality of living is also....substantially better than Grenada, let's just say. I'm not sure about residency placement, but KBT students can't do their clinicals in NJ in M3 and M4 due to some weird wording on state regs. If you're curious you should be able to search NJ's requirements and make sure that you're able to place there if you're set on residency in NJ. Don't just go by what SGU says, as sometimes they are a year or two behind state requirements. Go ONLY by what the state says. As a Canadian you will have some visa stuff to sort through, but that would be true whether you went to KBT or just the regular program.

The thing about residencies, though, is that you can go just about anywhere you can get accepted. You have MANY more options available to you than you do for clinical rotations in M3 and M4. So if you really want to do the program, I wouldn't worry too much about not being able to do a residency in NJ. If you have the Step score and grades to back up your application, finding a residency shouldn't be all that different having gone KBT.

Edit: Just verified with a Canadian KBT student. No residency and no clinicals in NJ for KBT students, and some hospitals will not take non-US students in rotations regardless of doing the 2 years in Grenada. Once you finish your residency in another state, you can practice there, however.

Last edited:
They had around 100 appointments in New Jersey sate. arrange the order by state and you will see how many there are.

KBT Scholars from SGU cannot currently do their clinical rotations in NJ. ... I'm not sure if this holds true for residency placement, however. Anybody wanting to practice in NJ and/or California should REALLY see to their due diligence and ensure they will be able to go there as an IMG, they have bizzaro regs.

If this is the case, then there is probably some form of exemption that these students should be able to get in order to do their MS3-4 clinical rotations in New Jersey. I did an elective rotation in NYC and had to get a similar exemption from the NY state medical board (via letter) saying that it was okay, despite the fact that I was already approved by the state to do rotations there.

-Skip

P.S. If enough people apply for an exemption, they'll probably readdress and likely fix the regulation.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is what I have heard. I would definitely investigate it, the books are outrageously overpriced. I think you have to sign a waiver form, just tell them you've already secured your books. In term 2 you will have to buy a PD (physical diagnosis) kit which is also about $1000. You can buy old kits from students for about $200-400. If you buy one off a student, get your own stethoscope while you're home between T1 & T2, though.
You can get one off amazon, ebay and theres a site called medmogul.com . You can get a kit at any of those places for a decent price.

It's a month long online course SGU puts you in if there's a flag in your numbers (ie, MCAT or GPA). It covers basic sciences with weekly quizzes and a final. Pass (I think with a 3.5, I have to look over my paperwork again) and you place right into 1st semester. Fail, and you're put into Charters.

Hey creedmoor -- Did you wind up doing the MSAP program? I'm curious what it was like and how you felt about the grading. Any info would be great, I haven't been able to find much on it. Thanks!

Edit: Just verified with a Canadian KBT student. No residency and no clinicals in NJ for KBT students, and some hospitals will not take non-US students in rotations regardless of doing the 2 years in Grenada. Once you finish your residency in another state, you can practice there, however.

Updated information: KBT students can currently apply for residency in NJ with no restrictions. Haven't verified this with the school, but 2 fellow 3rd year students from KBT report that they still cannot do MS3 and MS4 rotations in NJ. The law requires that the first 2 years of BS medical education be completed in the same country, and KBT does not qualify since Ms1 is done in the UK and MS2 is done in Grenada.

This is what I have heard. I would definitely investigate it, the books are outrageously overpriced. I think you have to sign a waiver form, just tell them you've already secured your books. In term 2 you will have to buy a PD (physical diagnosis) kit which is also about $1000. You can buy old kits from students for about $200-400. If you buy one off a student, get your own stethoscope while you're home between T1 & T2, though.
Hi.What is included in this PD kit? Trying to find it for purchase before I arrive to Iland. Thank you.

Hi.What is included in this PD kit? Trying to find it for purchase before I arrive to Iland. Thank you.

Stethoscope, sphygmomanometer with adult & child cuffs, reflex hammer, medical flashlight, Snellen eye chart, Otoscope& ophthalmoscope set, 512 and 256 tuning forks, tape measurer, tongue depressors, rubber tourniquet.

Stethoscope, sphygmomanometer with adult & child cuffs, reflex hammer, medical flashlight, Snellen eye chart, Otoscope& ophthalmoscope set, 512 and 256 tuning forks, tape measurer, tongue depressors, rubber tourniquet.
Thank you.

Probably not telling you anything you didn't know, but all of that except the stethoscope is a waste of money. All of it will be available in most sites where you'll be caring for patients. And there's no way to lug all that stuff around. (Note: if doing a Neuro residency, the tuning forks and a Queen's Square hammer (which is not square) are a big plus)

Reactions: 1 user
Probably not telling you anything you didn't know, but all of that except the stethoscope is a waste of money. All of it will be available in most sites where you'll be caring for patients. And there's no way to lug all that stuff around. (Note: if doing a Neuro residency, the tuning forks and a Queen's Square hammer (which is not square) are a big plus)

To add on top of what they said.... yes it is a complete waste of money to buy it beforehand. Felt sorry for those students who spent hundreds on Welch Allen brand of otoscope/ophthalmoscope. I would recommend waiting until you get on the island and buying it from upper semesters. Get there a few days earlier before the upper semesters leave and you will have plenty of people flinging their supplies at you to buy for cheap. In Dominica, I would say that I used the materials for a total of 25 times... most of the times.. you can always share with other students. All you need during clinicals (3rd /4th year) is your steth, pen light, maybe for neuro tuning fork and hammer). That is it!

To add on top of what they said.... yes it is a complete waste of money to buy it beforehand. Felt sorry for those students who spent hundreds on Welch Allen brand of otoscope/ophthalmoscope. I would recommend waiting until you get on the island and buying it from upper semesters. Get there a few days earlier before the upper semesters leave and you will have plenty of people flinging their supplies at you to buy for cheap. In Dominica, I would say that I used the materials for a total of 25 times... most of the times.. you can always share with other students. All you need during clinicals (3rd /4th year) is your steth, pen light, maybe for neuro tuning fork and hammer). That is it!
Thank you.I just thought this kit is a requirement must have? I won't buy it if I no must have it.I have stethoscope already for my current job.

Yep, just save money and buy it from upper semesters. You will get great deals. I'm sure there is a fb page craigslist or something like that for your school.

Thank you.I just thought this kit is a requirement must have? I won't buy it if I no must have it.I have stethoscope already for my current job.

You are required to have a PD kit for the OSCE examinations during Terms 1,2,4, and 5, as well as small groups where you will learn to use your tools.

Yep, just save money and buy it from upper semesters. You will get great deals. I'm sure there is a fb page craigslist or something like that for your school.

Check out “SGU Post” on Facebook. However, I’m not sure the administration will allow you to waive textbook or PD kit fees, check in advance.

Thank you everybody for advises.