August CPJE

Started by zzll
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

zzll

New Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just took CPJE this morning. Tons of ID questions!!!! no dosing at all. I don't feel too bad but I also don't remember all questions and my answers. kind of numb.

I know the date falls in the QA period, hopefully I won't need to wait till October. Is there a way to check numbers of test takers?

Good luck to everyone!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did anyone happen to take the CPJE in October? Would the results for everyone will be mailed out this Friday?

You can call BOP and ask on the status. I called yesterday and they said they mailed my results out on 10/13 already (took CPJE 8/7)...but nothing in the mail yet. Hopefully today!
 
You can call BOP and ask on the status. I called yesterday and they said they mailed my results out on 10/13 already (took CPJE 8/7)...but nothing in the mail yet. Hopefully today!

Thank you, Flo-vent. I just called the board and was told that since I took my cpje on 10/3, the 2 to 4 weeks turn around time still applies. I guess I still have to wait another 3 weeks or so. I hope we all pass!
 
Congrats! Zzll! I called the board just now and they told me that the QA was apparently lifted on the 9.22 and so whoever took the exam after is considered not part of the QA and that I should receive the results 14-30 days from exam date.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
 
glad to know you dont need to suffer from the long waiting!

bop lifted qa on 9.22? then what had they been doing since then!

Congrats! Zzll! I called the board just now and they told me that the QA was apparently lifted on the 9.22 and so whoever took the exam after is considered not part of the QA and that I should receive the results 14-30 days from exam date.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
glad to know you dont need to suffer from the long waiting!

bop lifted qa on 9.22? then what had they been doing since then!
I've been trying to get my license here in California for the past 5 years so I've been waiting quite a while. As to what they have been doing? I have no idea. I was told a third party executes/handles the QA and not the board nor psi. Honestly I believe they are _______ (enter preferred choice of profanity) and full of crap...

Again if the board is reading this, please disregard the above and pass me.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
 
Got my letter today I failed by 1point. I'm not too upset about it. I've has alot of failures in my life, just try, try, try again.
Just wanted to say good for you! I know when I got a similar result it kinda hit me hard and had even more difficulty to get in the groove of studying again. Not that it was impossible but really needed direction. I hopefully passed this time around but even if I don't I'll just keep at it. We will get there! [emoji4]

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
 
Just got my green letter! Good luck to everyone else! I'll be quite frank and tell you I got a 75 and 1 point would have pushed me into failing so this is definitely a hard exam, do not be bum if you failed. Keep trying & keep the faith.
Thank you for your kind words. Its definitely a bummer but I know I'm capable of passing. Thanks again.
 
Hey all! Took the exam on 9/14, live in LA, and got my green letter today 10/18!

I got a 85 and took it and studied for it 2 weeks after NAPLEX. For preparation did the questions in the back of : A Guide to California Pharmacy Law by Fred Weissman. I probably had ~10 law questions which was more than I was expecting based off of what other people were saying- but the Weissman book was sufficient. I didnt read the entire book but rather checked certain chapters I felt confused by the law.

I also used Pharmacy Charts, which I felt the non appendix portion I studied too much in detail and did not complete all the way (Finished up to cardiology before realizing it took too much time and then just did last minute reviews, clinical pearls, pulmonary, vaccine, herbals and then appendix). I got a bunch of random questions right based off the Appendix Lists they provided, most notably the Top 300 drug list, brand/generic and Auxiliary Labels. Also, I would have missed a lot of IV stability questions (NS vs D5W etc. storage) if I did not review the appendix on last minute studying. Overall I felt that the test was pretty random, a lot of checking example prescriptions to see if it was okay to dispense or something needed to be changed (I only answered dispense as written once) but I felt that I had done enough to pass, of course there was a bit of stress with the waiting for the results so long.

To sum it up, Rxprep knowledge from Naplex, the Law guide and pharmacy charts were good for studying for the cpje, but not going to lie it was not a fun test to study for. If I were to stress one thing it would be know brand/generics and combination therapies. It seems simple but you might forget what one is and then not be able to answer the question or make and educated guess if you can't remember what type of drug it is or what it is for. Additionally, with the combination therapies they had a lot of questions where there was a therapeutic duplication. Good luck to everyone taking the test, and lets all get jobs!
 
I just received my score today in the mail on 10-19-2015. Took test on 9-4-2015 in Chicago testing center. This is the third time I took the test. First time i got a 68, second time 72, and third time 70. So i failed it for the third time. I have one last chance to take the test. I had too much crap going on: death in family, trying to find a house, work hours/overtime, work issues, family issues. Just too much crap to deal with. I dont have the student life anymore to really sit down and study to ensure passing. I used to do group study a lot when I was in pharmacy school. The board allows 4 tries. On the plus side, the rxprep cpje law exam prep course really helped tremendously when it comes to the law portion of the exam. I highly recommend it. Here is how the score is broken down:

Area 1: Patient Medications (33% of examination)
Area 2: Patient Outcomes (40% of examination)
Area 3: Pharmacy Operations (27% of examination)

Area 1: Average Score 12.8
Area 2: Low Score 9.1
Area 3: Average Score 10.5

How do you imporove and identify questions hat deal with area 2 and area 3? I really thought I passed this time. I really don't know anymore. I'm a licensed pharmacist in state of IL and FL, and I still cant pass this damn test.
 
Congrats zz and Flovent. How did you guys do compared to how you felt about the exam after taking it?

I felt really horrible after taking the exam, kept having nightmares these past 2+ months, but ended up doing ok.

I scheduled CPJE one week after NAPLEX, so a lot of the clinical material was still fresh on my mind.

For the law portion, I felt like RxPrep's CPJE books and especially the RxPrep CPJE online practice test bank was very helpful. I skimmed through the Weissman book and mostly focused on the dates listed in the back of the book. A few questions were very straightforward (exemption codes, how long to keep records, etc) and some super random that I don't recall reading about anywhere.

The vast majority of the exam was very clinical. Definitely know top brand/generics. For some of the brand names, I had absolutely no clue what they were and totally guessed. A lot of questions had to do with therapeutic interchange, so study lesser known alternatives to medications in the same class (including brand names). I remember there were some questions on supplements, DDIs, and compatibility with NS/D5W, so the those beginning RxPrep chapters might be helpful. Main SEs, like the bolded ones in RxPrep, would probably be helpful too.

Overall, it was a very difficult exam and parts of it felt super random... Much harder to pass than NAPLEX. Best of luck to those who didn't pass it this time around. You guys will definitely get it next time!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did any of those that passed feel like you missed more than 15 questions? I am still awaiting my results, but expect them to come in sometime this week... I'm really nervous about it!
 
I got 82. I knew I got 13 questions wrong right after the exam. Those were just the ones I can remember. I am sure I could also missed others but i couldn't remember the questions to check in books.

CPJE seems harder than NAPLEX based on total passing rate (80% vs >95%). But somehow test takers were terrified by the level of difficulty of CPJE. 2 years ago I was told how hard this exam was. That lady said you couldn't pass it if you had never worked in hospital pharmacy. Since then I became anxious about CPJE. I am a foreign graduate and I could not get a real internship in hospital pharmacy to build up experience. I volunteered at a VA hospital for a while then worked full time at independent pharmacy. I spent one more month after I passed NAPLEX but I still didn't feel ready. After the exam, I told my husband it seemed easier than Naplex but I knew I had no clue for some questions. I said if I failed this time, I don't know how I should study for it again.

The other thing making it a harder exam is the fewer questions. 90 vs 185! We can't miss that many. But it is doable with a passing rate around 80%.

Good luck!

Did any of those that passed feel like you missed more than 15 questions? I am still awaiting my results, but expect them to come in sometime this week... I'm really nervous about it!
 
Did any of those that passed feel like you missed more than 15 questions? I am still awaiting my results, but expect them to come in sometime this
week... I'm really nervous about it!

I walked knowing I missed 15. I scored high on the NAPLEX so I took CPJE lightly & only studied a week for it which was a big mistake because I barely passed. I only read through the practice question section of Weissman and it was super helpful for remembering key things about law. This was definitely one of the hardest exam I've ever taken. Rxprep saved me in terms of clinical stuff. I did not used the Ebay Charts but that may have helped if I did.
 
Did anyone who mailed in their licensing fee & green letter get their check cashed by the BOP yet? I wonder how long it will take :/ Work is getting impatient with me...
 
gameboi,

I sent my stuff in express mail so they definitely received it yesterday and I haven't had it cashed yet, which is weird cause if its one thing that the California BOP does right away, its cash their checks. But I'm guessing everybody who passed is sending theirs in so we should give them a couple more days to get through it. Also, keep checking your name in the pharmacist license verification to see if its up, chances are it'll be online a couple days before we get it via snail mail.
 
Yea let us know if anyone's license is up on the BOP website!! I did express mail with tracking, so I know it was delivered on Monday. Hopefully it's up by sometime next week!!
 
Hi all,

For those who are still waiting for results and took it soon after the 9/22 QA end date, the next batch of results has been mailed out on 10/22 so we should be getting it soon. So nervous! Praying for us all
 
Hi all,

For those who are still waiting for results and took it soon after the 9/22 QA end date, the next batch of results has been mailed out on 10/22 so we should be getting it soon. So nervous! Praying for us all
Just wondering how soon "soon after" means. I took mine on 10/05. Hopefully I'm included and I receive it tomorrow? [emoji51]

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
 
Hi all,

For those who are still waiting for results and took it soon after the 9/22 QA end date, the next batch of results has been mailed out on 10/22 so we should be getting it soon. So nervous! Praying for us all
Thank you for update! I just received my results in the mail today, letter dated 10/22 and I took my exam on 10/13. I live in the Bay Area so everyone should be getting their results either today or early next week. Good luck to everyone who is still waiting!!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got 82. I knew I got 13 questions wrong right after the exam. Those were just the ones I can remember. I am sure I could also missed others but i couldn't remember the questions to check in books.

CPJE seems harder than NAPLEX based on total passing rate (80% vs >95%). But somehow test takers were terrified by the level of difficulty of CPJE. 2 years ago I was told how hard this exam was. That lady said you couldn't pass it if you had never worked in hospital pharmacy. Since then I became anxious about CPJE. I am a foreign graduate and I could not get a real internship in hospital pharmacy to build up experience. I volunteered at a VA hospital for a while then worked full time at independent pharmacy. I spent one more month after I passed NAPLEX but I still didn't feel ready. After the exam, I told my husband it seemed easier than Naplex but I knew I had no clue for some questions. I said if I failed this time, I don't know how I should study for it again.

The other thing making it a harder exam is the fewer questions. 90 vs 185! We can't miss that many. But it is doable with a passing rate around 80%.

Good luck!