August DAT Test Date: Thoughts and Opinions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fredthomas17

Reaction score
Hey,

I wanted to get your thoughts and opinions on taking the DAT in August. I have my test scheduled for August 9th. It seems all of June/July dates are taken in every state across the East Coast. Majority of August test dates along the East Coast are also full

1) Is this a late timeframe?
2) Are there indications Dental Schools will consider COVID-19 and allow extensions?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

I wanted to get your thoughts and opinions on taking the DAT in August. I have my test scheduled for August 9th. It seems all of June/July dates are taken in every state across the East Coast. Majority of August test dates along the East Coast are also full

1) Is this a late timeframe?
2) Are there indications Dental Schools will consider COVID-19 and allow extensions?

I think August isn’t super late in general, despite what you might hear. I took mine last year in late July and got an interview/accepted to everywhere I wanted. Given, I got a very good score so that was a pretty big factor too. A lot of people applying are going through the same thing so I wouldn’t stress about it too much, there’s really nothing you can do anyways. I would suggest looking up open dates every week or so, at least in my experience people push back their exam dates often so if you really want to take it ASAP, be ready to take it whenever and you might just find an earlier open date as you keep checking.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 1 users
I'm also in the same boat. California is booked in most places till September, because of the cancellations at Prometric. I even thought about seeing if I could drive out of state for an earlier date, but nearby states were also booked around that time. I managed to get one in early August. Wondering if schools are taking this into consideration..

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the information :) I'll keep looking for an earlier date but if not I feel August will be okay.

August should be fine. Even in a normal cycle it wouldn't be considered terribly late, and I feel like there will likely be a bit more leniency this cycle because of COVID.

Would you recommend me submitting my application early to schools in June then notify them that I'm testing in August?