August MCAT advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mhondy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for a little help on a much-discussed topic: April v. August MCAT. I've done many searches, but I'm looking for a little help here. I plan on starting my one-year postbacc at Bryn Mawr in August, thus I'd have to take the August MCAT. If I could start in May I would, but it's not an option. I am very concerned, though, about delaying my apps due to the August MCAT. With which schools does this have the biggest effect? Specifically, am I going to be majorly penalized at the Dukes of the world by being a bit later in the application processing? I would surely have all materials in so my scores would be the last to arrive, thus completing my AMCAS file by mid-October.

Any advice, anecdotes would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

nobody? please?!?

mhondy said:
Looking for a little help on a much-discussed topic: April v. August MCAT. I've done many searches, but I'm looking for a little help here. I plan on starting my one-year postbacc at Bryn Mawr in August, thus I'd have to take the August MCAT. If I could start in May I would, but it's not an option. I am very concerned, though, about delaying my apps due to the August MCAT. With which schools does this have the biggest effect? Specifically, am I going to be majorly penalized at the Dukes of the world by being a bit later in the application processing? I would surely have all materials in so my scores would be the last to arrive, thus completing my AMCAS file by mid-October.

I would take the August MCAT if you thought that you would do significantly better (3+ points higher) by waiting. There is an advantage to applying early at the rolling schools and there's a lot of them. I think more of the top-ranked U.S. News schools are not rolling, so taking the August MCAT is less of a penalty.

Members don't see this ad :)
mhondy said:

According to my post-bacc premed advisor (who is the former Director and Assistant Dean for Admissions at Hopkins), you are at no disadvantage whatsoever taking the August MCAT. If you are a good candidate for a school, you will get in no matter when you apply.

If you have a hard time swallowing that, you should at least believe it is true if you are a "unique" applicant. Being a post-bacc generally qualifies right away as a unique applicant and odds are you have pretty decent stats already (or you wouldn't have gotten into Bryn Mawr). I went to Hopkins post-bacc and me and almost all of my classmates took the August MCAT and we've all fared quite well...including acceptances at the "Dukes of the world". Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it.

California is slow and has too many applicants already. The august mcat only makes things worse.

thanks everyone.

mhondy said:
thanks everyone.

I took it in August and it really held up my applications. I strongly recommend taking it in April.

I took the MCAT in August and by the time my applications were even acknowledged as complete there were tons of acceptances given out - thus the August exam put me waaaaaaay behind. I second tacrum43 - TAKE IN APRIL. August only if there is absolutely no other choice.

i highly suggest taking it in august.

i and my pre-med advisor thought i had a legitimate chance at some good (top 15) schools for admission but i think my august mcat held me back and therefore i did not recieve interviews at these schools.

i did however get into some great places, just not the 'cream of the crop' even though some kids i know who took the april mcat with similar or slightly less impressive profiles obtained admission or interview at some tough schools.

i think timing of the application is huge (in fact i know its huge, now that i've been through it)...i HIGHLY recommend taking it in august, you need ALL the advantages you can have when going through the bullSh*T they call med school admissions.

shawty ya'head said:
i highly suggest taking it in august.

i and my pre-med advisor thought i had a legitimate chance at some good (top 15) schools for admission but i think my august mcat held me back and therefore i did not recieve interviews at these schools.

i did however get into some great places, just not the 'cream of the crop' even though some kids i know who took the april mcat with similar or slightly less impressive profiles obtained admission or interview at some tough schools.

i think timing of the application is huge (in fact i know its huge, now that i've been through it)...i HIGHLY recommend taking it in august, you need ALL the advantages you can have when going through the bullSh*T they call med school admissions.

:confused: Don't you mean April?

I know of a pre-med at my school who took the August MCAT and has gotten into so many top 20 schools that it literally makes me ill. Just submit all your apps as early as possible and once the scores come, you'll have everything complete (unless the school chose to wait to send a secondary until they got your scores...but most will send it to you as soon as they get your primary app because they just want your dinero).

I also must say your advisor is wrong. Not to diss on he/her but most advisors dont know much anymore.

The August MCAT makes you late. PERIOD! If you have to take it, then take it, do well, and as soon as you get your score you have to go hardcore agressive at the schools. Call, email, send letters asking them to update yours score and send letters of intent.

It put you behind, but if you are agressive, it can bump you back up!