August MCAT after Sophomore year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sctymick

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'am a sophomore this year, thinking of taking the mcat this august. I'am planning on taking Physics 1 and 2 over the summer, then I'll have all the classes needed to take it. If I score well on the test, will medical schools still consider my score if I don't apply till my junior or senior year?

Members don't see this ad.

sctymick said:
I'am a sophomore this year, thinking of taking the mcat this august. I'am planning on taking Physics 1 and 2 over the summer, then I'll have all the classes needed to take it. If I score well on the test, will medical schools still consider my score if I don't apply till my junior or senior year?

they will certainly consider it, i think most schools accept scores that are up to three years old.

alot of people (esp here) will tell you to take the mcat after your sophomore year... i would advise this ONLY if you think you're ready... after my sophomore year, i would have bombed the mcat, i needed those extra years to mature and become wise (read: stop partying :laugh: ) anyways, make sure your ready by taking lots of practice tests and consider prep course (ie tpr, kaplan).

good luck!

sctymick said:

My friend did this and she is currently enjoying the satisfaction of knowing exactly where she'll be next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did this. I didn't do as well as I would have liked to but it was a decent score (30O, 10 10 10). If you do succeed in August then you have the satisfaction of not worrying about that damn test for a year. You can relax while all your other premed friends are going crazy about it. I would definetely recommend it. Take some practice tests and a course over the summer and see how your scores are. If they are good then go for it.

I didn't see that you were also taking Physics during the summer. I actually doubled up on physics and orgo during my sophmore year so I was done with all my pre-med requirements. I focused solely on the MCAT during the summer. I'm not sure how physics + MCAT will be over the summer as they are both very intensive on your brain. Like I mentioned before, take some practice tests and see how you do. If you don't feel up to par theres no harm in postponing it until April.

Did it. But I have all the classes before summer and took no summer classes. All I took was a review class for the MCAT. I had no job, and all I had to do for the entire summer was goof off and study. So basically I was very relaxed and had all the time I needed to prepare. I loved doing it that way, but it only works if you can rock the MCAT at that point. Some people need more classes. I mean, I did have to learn a lot of stuff over the summer that I had not seen before [physiology!]. But I still would do it over again.

Its fine if you think you're ready but be aware that many school don't accept mcats over 3 years old so if you didn't get in the first time around you'd be forced to retake. Consider taking it august of your junior year. You'd still be way ahead of the game and you could use your summer to prepare.

Wouldn't August of your junior year put in very late in the cycle for that year, unless you skip that cycle and apply early for the next one.

UTpremed said:
Did it. But I have all the classes before summer and took no summer classes. All I took was a review class for the MCAT. I had no job, and all I had to do for the entire summer was goof off and study. So basically I was very relaxed and had all the time I needed to prepare. I loved doing it that way, but it only works if you can rock the MCAT at that point. Some people need more classes. I mean, I did have to learn a lot of stuff over the summer that I had not seen before [physiology!]. But I still would do it over again.
I did this, but I did have a job.

If it were me ... I would take april my junior year then be ready to retake again in august for application if needed. If you are scoring well on practice exams though, I'd go for it :thumbup: Physics over the summer + MCAT is going to be brutal though. I'm in physics now and H-A-T-E IT!

I did this too, and it was badass, but I had all my prerequisites done by the end of sophomore year (including physics, because I had been an engineering major my freshman year).

It's definitely awesome to take it this early, because you can concentrate on other things junior and senior year and not be stressed about (a) taking the test during a full semester of school or (b) taking the test late and possibly hurting your acceptances.

Just make sure that you can handle all the studying and still do well in your physics classes!

Good luck!

zero2hero said:
Wouldn't August of your junior year put in very late in the cycle for that year, unless you skip that cycle and apply early for the next one.

No, more people take it may of junior year or august senior year. I took it april of my jr year, applied right after I got my scores which was only a week or 2 after you could officially start applying for that year. Taking the august of your senior year does put you some behind but lots of people do it and still get in.

I took the MCAT summer after my sophomore year. I took the kaplan class while doing both semesters of physics that summer and volunteering at a public health facility 10 hrs a week. This was all so I could go abroad my entire junior year. I'm glad I did it in some sense, because otherwise I would have had to either take it abroad or in the august before my senior year, both of which would have sucked. In the end, I think being so busy certainly hurt my score a little. If you are dead set on getting a great MCAT score, don't do this. People on this board seem to be either naturally gifted or spend five months cramming for the test, both of which yield great results. I'm neither and I did fine, but I certainly think I could have done better. However, I wouldn't go back and do it differently because I would never want to take back my year abroad, take the mcat abroad or in the august before my senior year. I hope this helped.