August MCAT analysis--on Kaplan's website

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tweetie_bird

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
you know, does Kaplan ever say that their students were NOT prepared for a section? yeah, right! anyway, for me and a few others i know, the biological sciences section is consistently more difficult that kaplan. I know people who would score consistent 12s and 13s on kaplan biological, but got a 10 on the real thing...anyway, they need to shape up on that section and come up with new materials!

I agree with you Athena. I don't know which students they polll, because i sure as hell didn't get polled. In any case, I thought it would help some of you brain storm about your passages to review it with people like we did in April. I thought it would help. :confused:

Tweetie_bird,
Seeing the topics will definitely help mcaters study, no question. ...I was just on a personal rant about Kaplan...but everyone should use the information they have about the april and august mcats...

Members don't see this ad :)
i got polled. I got something in my email asking about what I thought about the course and then another course asking about the mcat.

Hey guys I used examkrackers and got an eleven on the last verbal section before I took the real deal last month. I thought it was much better than kaplan because they stress the fact that you don't need to write anything or underline or circle or play tick tack toe with the passages. It teaches you to read critically and answer the questions, all of the questions. Now I have no idea how I did but I do know that I answered the last question, put my pencil down, looked up and the guy called time. It was close but I finished strong. the poor guy next to me shelled out the 1500 for kaplan and didn't even touch the last two passages. I think that kaplan's preparation sucks for the verbal. Also examkrackers stresses the point to do the passages in order. buy floating around looking for easy passages wastes time and quit often a difficult passage to read will have easy questions. I definitly saw this on Aug 17. I just wanted to know what you guys who took the courses thought:rolleyes:

One thing I don't like about the examcrackers advice on doing the passages in order is that if you get a really tough first passage, it really takes a lot out of you, and may play a role in your confidence for the rest of the section. But it can be tricky to triage like Kaplan says, because sometimes the passage is an easy read, while the questions are out of this world. Anyhow, triaging did help me somewhat on the mcat.

Originally posted by s42brown
Hey guys I used examkrackers and got an eleven on the last verbal section before I took the real deal last month. I thought it was much better than kaplan because they stress the fact that you don't need to write anything or underline or circle or play tick tack toe with the passages. It teaches you to read critically and answer the questions, all of the questions.
Propaganda
the poor guy next to me shelled out the 1500 for kaplan
how do you know?
and didn't even touch the last two passages.
who/what is really responsible for this?
I think that kaplan's preparation sucks for the verbal.
Have you taken them?
Also examkrackers stresses the point to do the passages in order. buy floating around looking for easy passages wastes time and quit often a difficult passage to read will have easy questions.
Although it makes good sense in a "diagram" (as displayed in the EK book), it can't be proven that this method is superior. By not taking a sneak peak at passages up ahead, you are unaware of potentially long and hard or short and easy passages and you can be in a severe timing jam depending on how you pace yourself. Is that not a disadvantage?
I just wanted to know what you guys who took the courses thought:rolleyes:
I think its best we just wait for the scores :rolleyes:

First of all I know he spent 1500 on Kaplan and didn't touch the last two passages because he told me. He is not the only one that had this happen to them. You talk about sneak peak, I would love it if you told me how you got MCAT to give you extra time for this sneak peak, because I only had 85 minutes which I spent answering the questions. What, do you think I work for examkrackers I wrote my response because that is what I observed while taking the exam and talking with others. Does it not make sense to read straight through the passages and answer the questions, I think most of us have been doing this since adolescence. Yeah we will wait for the scores, but some guys out there and others like him are waiting on a verbal section that they on finished 7/9 of, I would want to be in that situation:mad:

You talk about sneak peak, I would love it if you told me how you got MCAT to give you extra time for this sneak peak, because I only had 85 minutes which I spent answering the questions.

Did AMCAS also give you extra time for flipping pages? Filling in the scantron? Scratching your head? Blinking? Wiping sweat off your forehead? Checking your watch?

It's called "budgeting your time" to create the extra time necessary to be one step ahead.

What, do you think I work for examkrackers I wrote my response because that is what I observed while taking the exam and talking with others.
That's not what I think. You expressed an opinion, based on assumptions, where you favor one service very much over another. I expressed a counter-opinion so that people in the future have a basis for comparison.
Does it not make sense to read straight through the passages and answer the questions, I think most of us have been doing this since adolescence.
No, it doesn't make sense. The MCAT passages do not have any organized order system. They are not ordered from easiest to hardest or vice versa. Hence, how can you really do them in order, if there is no such thing? Why not create your own order?
Yeah we will wait for the scores, but some guys out there and others like him are waiting on a verbal section that they on finished 7/9 of, I would want to be in that situation:mad:
I assume you "wouldn't" want to be in that situation. Neither would I, and I feel sorry for those that are because some of them are my friends. When they started preparing they were doing 5-6. Most of them are foreigners who can't read fast in a foreign language that they haven't mastered yet, so while theoretically they can rush to finish 9 passages, the accuracy they would loose just wouldn't be worth it. I know some of these guys would be able to do 10-12 passages if it was written in their native language, but this is one obstacle no MCAT course can help break.

good luck, I hope we both do well.

Peace, you guys! Both strategies are perfectly acceptable, and each is suited for a different ability level on the part of the test taker.

If finishing all the passages is not a problem for you, then it makes sense to do them in order and maximize the time spent actually thinking about the questions.

If you don't usually finish all the passages, but get within two or three of doing so, then it makes sense to flip through and work from easiest to hardest (as best you can judge from a cursory scan), or longest to shortest passages. Your goal here is to maximize the number of questions answered, not the time spent answering each question. Working through them in order would, in fact, be stupid in that case.

And yes, I am a big fan of Examkrackers, and used all their materials and very little Kaplan to study. But I chose their stuff because it was what *I* needed, not because I think they have the right strategy for everyone.

You?re right. I am sure that Kaplan is good for some students, especially for the ones that aren't native English speakers. It?s just that I hate to see a guy spend 1500 on a course and totally collapse on the test day. I know that some people failing to answer a bunch of questions is not kaplan?s fault, people just need to shop around in deciding which course to follow. Sorry if I sounded arrogant its just that I hate to see people work so hard and then run out of time;)

In June, "limit" announced that he just became a Kaplan teacher, but he hasn't identified himself since then as a Kaplan employee when he either tells everyone how good he thinks they are, or when he gets defensive about claims that they suck, as he did here.

I hope I'm recalling correctly, but I believe he said he didn't prep with Kaplan himself when he took the MCAT but scored high enough for them to want him to teach! So he hasn't even been a Kaplan student - very different experience, instructor vs. student. He presents his opinions as if he's a consumer who's used them to raise his score, when he did no such thing, and that's misleading.

Tweetie, shouldn't he have to identify himself as a Kaplan instructor if he's going to tell people he thinks Kaplan is better? Otherwise everyone will think he's just another student like the rest of us.

Fair's fair, limit - identify yourself! :mad:

Originally posted by Jeff B.
In June, "limit" announced that he just became a Kaplan teacher, but he hasn't identified himself since then as a Kaplan employee when he either tells everyone how good he thinks they are, or when he gets defensive about claims that they suck, as he did here.

I hope I'm recalling correctly, but I believe he said he didn't prep with Kaplan himself when he took the MCAT but scored high enough for them to want him to teach! So he hasn't even been a Kaplan student - very different experience, instructor vs. student. He presents his opinions as if he's a consumer who's used them to raise his score, when he did no such thing, and that's misleading.

Tweetie, shouldn't he have to identify himself as a Kaplan instructor if he's going to tell people he thinks Kaplan is better? Otherwise everyone will think he's just another student like the rest of us.

Argh... I wish people would double check on their assumptions before they would post. Limit is not and never was a Kaplan tutor (nor is he affiliated with them in any way). How do I know? It might have something to do with the fact that I've spent 3 months agonizing over the MCATs this August while we were BOTH enrolled in Kaplan. No where on this board has he claimed to have a high score... If he did, then there would be no reason for him to have taken it over this August (and he did because we ended up in the same room on test day.)

Maybe it's a case of mistaken identity, I don't know... But next time, just think before you post.

Please post some proof, or shut up and leave. In actuallity, I was a Kaplan student this summer. And if you look carefully, I don't get defensive at claims they suck, but rather try to present counter-opinions to those that make these claims while boasting another program.

No, you're not recalling correctly. In fact, I suspect you have a mental disability characterized by delusions. Once again, please post some proof before making rediculous claims. I'm a kaplan student, nothing else.
Yes, I think such actions would be fair. But what does this have to do with me? I'm just a student.
And, for the fourth time (so it gets through your thick skull)... I'm just a student.

Now, who are you? An examkrackers employee that gets defensive whenever someone like me questions your godly program?

Originally posted by Kry
But next time, just think before you post.

Jeff, do me a favor and take this advice next time.

Thanks Kry.

Alright guys, calm down. The guy made an honest mistake. Let him apologize and let's move on. No use spreading bad karma all over our little board.

How many more days before you guys find out your scores?? I've been praying for you kids!

Originally posted by Tweetie_bird
How many more days before you guys find out your scores?? I've been praying for you kids!
too many :(
3 weeks or so...

thanks, we're praying for you too, good luck in the apps!

Well well... Where are you now, Jeff B? Or should I say, who are you?

I came here to have a meaningful discussion on prep courses. A meticulous observation of my posts show no bias. You came here set on ruining my reputation, publically and maliciously, in front of many of my friends and colleagues.

My guess is that you are either an ExamKrackers employee or one of the owners. Who else would create such an ad hominem arguement to question my motives? If I am wrong, I'm sure I'm not far off. My motives are impartial, critical, and based on experience with which I am openly forthright. Your motives show no such qualities, leading me to believe that you are not a student, and hence an employee or owner of what it is you are defending, in this case the reputation of Examkrackers.

You deceptively labeled me a Kaplan instructor. Sadly, this was no "honest mistake." You made that assumption based on my posts, which were defensive in nature but only based on my experiences as I clearly explained.

I called you on your accusations. I told you who I am. You have not done the same. You posted on this forum 3 times. I posted well over 300, and welcomed you to find any proof to support your accusations. You have chosen to ignore my requests, and retrieve back into the darkness. You have not apologized, and have not answered any of my questions. I despise your cowardly actions.

Originally posted by DW
its amazing how the most random, harmless looking threads on kaplan mcat preparationcan erupt into flame wars/high brow bantering/personal slander around here. i'm still hoping for the second coming of homes versus loukary :laugh: :laugh:

I just don't want my reputation spoiled by some insecure craven.

I'm not here to argue.

I've been on a hiatus for a bit, but it's funny how things don't really change. For what my $0.02 is worth, limit has proven over time to be one of the most stand-up, honest people at this site. In all the threads I've read, never once have I seen him say anything about being associated with any course other than as a student.

I have no idea about the motives of the newbie, but his attempt to slander limit is way off the mark factually. I think limit is more than justified to be perturbed by the lies.