August MCAT and order of applicants for interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Friendly

Resident
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For schools that have rolling admission, is a number assigned to your file when it was complete ("review pending MCAT"), or something like that? Since the April MCATers apply on a first-come-first-review basis, it does seems a tad unfair if an August MCATer who couldn't be bothered submitting their AMCAS form until the start of October could potentially be given the same priority of file review as an August MCATer who diligently completed their primary and secondaries by mid-August.

Would someone please clarify this point?

Members don't see this ad.

Come on...someone knows the answer to this. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Friendly said:
For schools that have rolling admission, is a number assigned to your file when it was complete ("review pending MCAT"), or something like that? Since the April MCATers apply on a first-come-first-review basis, it does seems a tad unfair if an August MCATer who couldn't be bothered submitting their AMCAS form until the start of October could potentially be given the same priority of file review as an August MCATer who diligently completed their primary and secondaries by mid-August.

I would try calling up some admissions offices and asking. I am an April applicant myself, but now, I too am curious.

Friendly said:

Depends on your scores. I would imagine, If you are an August MCATer and have better scores than April MCATers, you will be getting interviews sooner than the mediocre guys who applied early. Nevertheless you will still be disadvantaged as an Aug Mcater because all the hot shots interviewed in Sep, oct already.

I was an aug mcater when I applied last year. Got my first interview within a week to Pittsburgh, then NYMC, then NJMS, then NYU, then NU, then AE, etc.
Everywhere I went, I met tons of april MCATers and I never felt I was in the "last batch" being interviewed. With the exception of MSSM when I interviewed in March, and still there were april mcaters there--I still got in to MSSM anyway.