august MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShaunAbe

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
can taking the MCAT for the first time in AUgust significantly kill your chances for acceptance. I wanted to take it in April but my best friend's engagment is on the same day

Members don't see this ad.

If I were you, I would take the MCATs in April. If you do well, you can relax during your summer.

It simply puts you a bit behind. Most schools start interviewing in Sept. Your MCAT scores come out in October, so you are a bit behind. Plus if you do poorly you won't have a chance to improve during the same application cycle so you better do great.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes! I agree with both posters!

The mantra you NEED to keep repeating to yourself is

APPLY EARLY

If you are not an extraordinary applicant, but competitive enough to get accepted. You have a better chance when there are more open seats than towards the middle/end of the application cycle.

Seriously, your friend *should* understand. It's an engagement, not the actual wedding.

As my friends and family have told me whenever I had a conflict either during the application or studying portion of trying to get into school, they simply kept telling me, "Do whatever it is you have to do. Don't let anything get in your way. Prioritize." This helped minimize the guilt that comeswith being selfish. You HAVE to be selfish about trying to get into school, all within reason, of course.

Taking the August MCAT may give you more time (if you don't procrastinate), BUT if you do poorly in August, it will put you a year behind your goal. It is best to take it in April, hope for the best, and if you have to re-do the exam, you still have another chance in August.

Who the heck cares if your best friends engagement is on the same day. Wait until the wedding to worry. Does he want you there to hold his hand as he asks her? Take the MCAT in April, as you will allow yourself August if you need to retake it. Your future takes precedence over your friends? situation.

Herp

I kind of disagree with the other people, but maybe that's just because I took the August MCAT, and still ended up with the ability to choose the school that I wanted to attend.

I think you should take the test when you are ready. If you get the rest of your application in early, and the only thing the school is waiting for is your MCAT, then as soon as your scores are released, you will hear from the schools you applied to. The August MCAT precludes you from doing early decision applications, so that is something to keep in mind.

Best of luck on whatever you decide.