August MCATers applicants thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blackbird03

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd start a thread for those of us who are a little behind. We could perhaps discuss how we are handling the whole application process while also prepping for the MCATs. Personally, I have sent my AMCAS last week and I still need to send apps to UCs, Columbia and NYU. In addition, I have to ask for some letters! Also, I heard the Duke secondary is due in two weeks, is that also applicable for us, august mcaters???! :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

hey, just wanted to say i'm in the same boat. finished all my primaries, gonna take my mcat and work on secondaries and send out LORs. :)

Hi!

I'm also an August MCATer applying this cycle. My AMCAS has been processed and I have been getting several secondaries, but I have not done any of the secondaries which require writing an essay. I'm thinking schools aren't really going to consider my application until they get my test results, so I'm just trying to concentrate on the MCAT for now. As soon as the MCATs are over, I'm going to work like mad to get all the secondaries done and sent way before my MCAT scores come in October.

I'm really worried about being so late in the application process especially because my grades aren't exactly stellar.

Good luck to everyone taking the August MCAT!

UCLA Paratrooper

Members don't see this ad :)
hey everyone! I, too, am an August MCAT-er..took it in April, had a very in-betweenish score, so I'm trying again and determined to get it into a better range. I'm done with my AMCAS stuff and have received about half my secondaries, of which I've sent back all but 3. (those 3 require longish essays, and I want to get the test over with before I worry about those)....good luck to everyone! :)

Do any of the secondaries have a deadline? I won't be able to get to them until after the mcat. :(

glad to see there are some of us in the same boat! i turned in my amcas in june, and the secondaries are piling up -- AAAAHHH!!!
i'm not turning any of them in before the test (even the duke app). if they can't understand we have studying to do, then screw em ;)

Originally posted by lady bug
Do any of the secondaries have a deadline? I won't be able to get to them until after the mcat. :(
Some have 2 or 3 week deadlines. That's why I think it's pointless for August MCAT'ers to submit their primary so early. The secondaries will arrive and screw up your MCAT studying. In a normal year, I'd say it's best for August MCAT'ers to submit about 1 month before the MCAT, not 2. That way, AMCAS will have your app processed, and secondaries will start rolling in right after the August exam. No stressing over secondary essay deadlines while studying. And you still have plenty of time to have everything complete before the MCAT scores arrive 2 months later.

Originally posted by Papa Smurf
Some have 2 or 3 week deadlines.

REALLY? Does anyone know which ones? I didn't even know there were deadlines other than the "get in the materials by Nov. 1 etc".

i've gotten 10-15 secondaries and none have stated they have deadlines except duke. i heard last year about these 2 week deadlines but have yet to receive a secondary with such a deadline other than duke.

I can't remember, but I thought the Case Western one had a 2 week deadline? It's irrelevant anyway, as I'm just not doing it between now and the MCAT so they will have to just wait....

so far, all of mine have said to send them back before some date in either december or jan...i haven't found submitting early to be pointless at all.

I received the Duke secondary on Aug 2.
Does that mean it has to be in on the 16th or I'm rejected???
I'm not working on that crap until the week after the MCAT. If it's a few days late is that big trouble??

I am August MCATer. Submitted my AMCAS on 6/18 to 3 schools. There are 10 schools on my list right now and growing. I will apply to more as soon as I get my August scores back.

I got a secondary from my state school (MCG) with a two week deadline. I called MCG to ask if the two week deadline was flexible cause: 1) I'm not early decision, 2) My AMCAS app was not even verified yet, and 3) I have no MCAT scores until after August. The answer: NO!!! I was told to have the 2ndary in their office (not in the mail) in two weeks from the date of receit.
+pissed+ It definitely compromised my MCAT study for two whole days while I completed it. I even ended up buying a typewriter, something I never thought I would use again. ERIC