August Mcaters Interviews???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skiiboy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok perhaps somebody here can give me some insight. My overall gpa is about 3.4, science gpa also 3.4. Took the mcats for the first time in August and scored 28. Applied only to osteopathic schools, I have no desire to go to allopathic medical schools. I applied to nycom,unecom,nj,pcom and nova. Nycom is by far my first choice as I would like to stay home and I live 10 mins from the school, further more their affiliations and residencies with hospitals on long island and in manhattan are excellent. I have an interview with nycom next week. Growing up having a father as a chiropractor, the importance of musculoskeletal health and how it relates to overall health has become a part of life for me. In fact the only reason I do not attend chiropractic school, is because of the limited license and it is true that ostepathic medical schools give students more tools through which to help patients. Ultimately I would like to graduate from osteopathic school and do a residency in OMM, followed by chiropractic school (only 1 1/2 years additional if you already are a medical doctor)... as their philosophy teachings and manipulation courses far far outweight any taught in any osteopathic schools. This is not my opinion guys, its fact.... it may come as shock to most people but chiropractic schools spend more time on anatomy and especially radiology then any medical schools in the country, (unless of course you become a radiologist) in addition they spend more time teaching manipulation then all of the osteopathic schools in the country combined. In fact 99% of all manipulation in the united states is performed by chiropractors. Almost all research currently being done regarding adjustments (the chiropractic term) or manipulations(osteopathic term) are done by chiropractors and chiropractic researchers and then the data is extrapolated to also include osteopaths because they also manipulate. I want to be an osteopath because of what osteopathy once stood for, a true and real alternative to the medical mainstream approach to healthcare....today most students graduate with almost zero confidence in there manipulative skills or a solid foundation from which to councel patients about the true nature of health and how it does not simply mean the absence of symptoms. Anywayz, my question really centers around whether or not anyone who is an "out of stater" has heard from any of these other schools as far as interview invitations are concerned. Thanks for all of your help :thumbup: :thumbup:

"The master maker of the human body did not create you and then run off and leave you masterless. He stayed on the job as innate, as the fellow within, as nerve transmission controlling every funtion of life, as spirit from above-down, inside-out, expressing, creating, exploring, directing you in every field and phase of experience so that your home is truly the world and the world is your home"

B.J. Palmer, D.C., Ph.C.

Members don't see this ad.

My father is also a chiropractor and i live about 45 min away from NYCOM. NYCOM is definitely my top choice for the same reasons, although i am a little skeptical of the huge class size. My stats are pretty damn close to yours. I know I want to use OMM in my practice and was always told by my father that, what ever they don't teach me about manipulation he will. I have been thinking along the lines of going into a PM&R residency after med school because I don't think that pure manipulation can solve everything. I never thought about going to chiropractic college afterwards but that might not be a bad idea to get some more respect for chiros by doing research. My NYCOM interview is Dec. 8th and my first interview and I will cancel all of my other interviews if they accept me.

I currently have interviews for Touro-MI, Touro-NV, LECOM, LECOM-FL, WVSOM, and NYCOM. I took the august mcat by the way.

Wow, looks like we have pretty similar goals. Where does your father practice? My dads practiced in great neck for over 20 years, I would venture to guess that our dads know each other. I do recognize that manipulation can not solve everything and that it is just one tool amongst many that should be used in the treatment of patients. I have done alot, alot, alot of research into chiropractic schools, in fact I came extremely close to attending. Say what you will about the inconsistancy of chiropractic treatment or scope of practice etc... What I love about chiropractic is there overall philosophy that the body is a self healing, self regulating mechanism.... and more over that the body through billions of years of evolution has virtually everything it needs to be healthy. Health does not come from a pill or some outside source, just like disease is not a germ, rather its a state or condition within the body when the body is not functioning at its potential. Osteopathy's philosophy at its origin used to be dam close to that of chiropractic, but now I feel like most of these schools simply keep a few manip class and one philosophy class just so they have some reason to say there different than there medical school conterparts. Furthrmore, I would say that most.. not all... but most students at osteopathic schools are there because they simply could not get into allopathic medical schools. Therefore the student body represents students of a very different mindset than me, and I'm not too happy with that. However, what osteopathic medicine does do... is it trains you to be a medical doctor and basically introduces you to the concepts of manipulation and philsophy.. leaving it up to the student whether or not to further puruse it..ie.. fellowship or residency. Also, going to chiropractic school after osteopathic school is very rare, in fact I think almost all who have both degrees have done it the other way around. Doing it this way, adds credibility to the profession, research and/or my private practice. My interiew with nycom is on Dec.2, so I'll keep you posted. Where did you go to undergraduate? BTW, my name on aol is skiiboy99 if you wanna talk. Happy thanksgiving everyone!!! :thumbup: ;)

Hi guys,

Glad to see that there are going to be some real gunho Osteopaths in NYCOM next year. Actually, I would say that you are choosing the right school from what I have seen so far this year. In case you don't know, NYCOM has Dr. Giovanni and Schiowitz, these are renowned osteopaths that are the authors to the text that many Osteopathic school uses. Dr. Schiowitz also came up with the technique called FPR (look it up to impress the interviewers). IN NYCOM there is certainly a mixed of people, those that want to be osteopaths and those that couldn't get in to allopathic school, you'll spot them immediately. But some do convert, I have a friend who hated the concept of osteopathy his first year but now in his fourth he swears by it. NYCOM also has a strong fellowship program for all you die hard fans. These guys are 3rd to 5th years that choose to stay and teach the 1st and 2nd years in exchange for free tuition, one encounter with these folks and you'll know how serious we are in terms of Osteopathic Manipulation. I also considered chiropractic prior to osteopathic medicine and rejected the allopathic way, as with many of my fellow classmates, we have a lot of Physical therapist in the class, but haven't met a Chiropractor. Actually in terms of that, Dr. Chaudhry our Assistant Dean has just been appointed the medical advisor for the New York State Chiropractic Board. Talk about connections and additional insights. I wouldn't worry too much about the large class, anyone who wants attention in some way gets it. Resources are still divided accordingly and not all of us are in the lab classes at the same point. You are not going to be short-changed, don't worry 12 people do not share one cadaver. Best of Luck at the interview, if you have any questions feel free to leave a message. Laterz