Aust grad to work in HK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eileen

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a new graduate fr med school in Aust, completing my 1-yr internship this year. I'm exploring the prospect of pursuing my career as a doctor in HK, hopefully from next year onwards. Anyone has any take on that? ie. how do i go about applying for it? Is it difficult to get into a HK public hosp as an international grad who is not HK resident? Thank you for your feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Eileen said:
Hi, I'm a new graduate fr med school in Aust, completing my 1-yr internship this year. I'm exploring the prospect of pursuing my career as a doctor in HK, hopefully from next year onwards. Anyone has any take on that? ie. how do i go about applying for it? Is it difficult to get into a HK public hosp as an international grad who is not HK resident? Thank you for your feedback.

I think that you need to be able to speak english and cantonese. Though mandarin may be a requirement soon also.

thanks. I speak both Cantonese and Mandarin. Are you aware of any medical exam for HK similar to USMLE for US? And do i just apply to the hospital directly?

Members don't see this ad :)
Eileen said:
thanks. I speak both Cantonese and Mandarin. Are you aware of any medical exam for HK similar to USMLE for US? And do i just apply to the hospital directly?

Hi

You need to apply for a licensing exam with Medical Council of Hong Kong. If you are successful in your exam then you need to complete another 12 months of internship before you can practice. Contact details are shown below:

Secretary. Licentiate Committee
The Medical Council of Hong Kong
4/F. Hong Kong Academy of Medicine
Jockey Club Building
99 Wong Chuk Hang Road
Aberdeen. Hong Kong
Tel: (852) 2873 4742 / (852) 2873 4797

Jenny

Were u inspired by the tvb drama <Healing hands>? btw...which oz uni were u from?