How to study in clinical rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Uu1999

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!
I want to know how tough are clinical rotations?
What is exactly done everyday at the hospital ? Or do we have any theoretical class as well?
How do we study in clinical rotations?
And what do we study in clinical rotations?
Who teaches us the content of step2?
Who helps us when we are stuck with preparations?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

This is just from my experience, so n=1 but...
1) clinical rotations are tough, but a lot of your experience comes down to the residents and attendings that you're working under. Some will let you skip handoff and will send you home as soon as they can. Others will make you come at 6am and won't let you leave until after 6pm. Some teams will involve you in what could be considered glorified shadowing, others will put you to work and expect you to take on as much responsibility as you legally can. I have worked 25 hour weeks, and I have worked 72 hour weeks. I have worked 4-day weeks and I have worked 6-day weeks.
2) At the hospital, show up sometime between 5 and 6:30 to preround. Then you round. Then you write notes, put in orders, check in on your patients etc. for the afternoon. There are occasionally didactics peppered in. My outpatient clinic experiences generally had me show up at 8ish, see anywhere from 4-10 patients, write 4-7 notes, then peace out around 6pm.
3) UWorld 90% of the time. Granted, I'm not exactly rocking these shelf exams so maybe don't take my study advice
4) Whatever UWorld tells me to study. I also try to find one thing a day from my patients to read up on.
5) UWorld.
6) My school has pretty robust academic advising. I've also gotten some great advice from residents/attendings I've worked with, but it is usually volunteered (I don't solicit it). Upperclassmen also give great advice.

Reactions: 1 user