Australia Dental

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jaba

S.mutans
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a student from Canada interested in what Australia has to offer for international students that wish to pursue dentistry. I have a BSc in Biological Sciences from a University up here.

Which schools would you recommend for me to apply to?

1. Sydney Faculty of Dentistry
2. Charles Sturt Faculty of Dentistry (2009)
3. Melbourne Faculty of Dentistry
4. LaTrobe Faculty of Dentistry (2008)
5. University of Adelaide School of Dentistry
6. University of Queensland Faculty of Dentistry
7. Griffith University School of Dentistry and Oral Health
8. University of Western Australia Faculty of Dentistry

I have written the DAT test for Canada and was wondering if all these schools require a similar entrance exam? Is there one that doesn't? What are the grades that I should have?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I am a student from Canada interested in what Australia has to offer for international students that wish to pursue dentistry. I have a BSc in Biological Sciences from a University up here.

I have written the DAT test for Canada and was wondering if all these schools require a similar entrance exam? Is there one that doesn't? What are the grades that I should have?

Hey Jaba, Here are the dental programs I would recommend at the moment:

1. Sydney
2. Adelaide
3. Melbourne
4. UWA
5. Queensland

There are a few new schools out there, but these are tried and true and will provide you with an excellent education.

The University of Sydney is probably your best bet. They accept about 8-10 Canadians per year. Their program is also the most similar to North American programs (4 yr graduate entry program). The curriculum was developed with help from faculty at Harvard and UBC. Sydney is also in the middle of applying for accreditation in US and Canada. :thumbup: Sydney's current Dean is a past president of the American and International institute of dental research, and was a faculty member at the new dental school at UNLV before he came to Sydney. Toronto's past dean used to be a Sydney grad, (and I think UCLA also had a dean sometime in the '90s from Sydney) Sydney also accepts Canadian and American DAT scores. Also, Sydney already has a number of Alumni already working in the US and Canada.

Sydney and Queensland (and Melbourne if applying after 2010) will all accept you for a 4 year dental program. All other Australian dental schools will require 5 years.

UWA and Melbourne probably have some of the nicest facilities. Sydney is currently upgrading theirs as well (just built a new pre-clinic)

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello, I am a student from Canada interested in what Australia has to offer for international students that wish to pursue dentistry.

If you want the most up to date information about the dental program at the University of Sydney, contact:

Mrs Anne Quinlan
Admissions Officer
Faculty Administrative Unit,
Faculty of Dentistry

Phone: +61 2 9351 8308
Fax: +61 2 9351 8333
Email: [email protected]

C12 - Faculty of Dentistry
The University of Sydney
NSW 2006 Australia

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Jaba, Here are the dental programs I would recommend at the moment:

1. Sydney
2. Adelaide
3. Melbourne
4. UWA
5. Queensland

There are a few new schools out there, but these are tried and true and will provide you with an excellent education.

The University of Sydney is probably your best bet. They accept about 8-10 Canadians per year. Their program is also the most similar to North American programs (4 yr graduate entry program). The curriculum was developed with help from faculty at Harvard and UBC. Sydney is also in the middle of applying for accreditation in US and Canada. :thumbup: Sydney's current Dean is a past president of the American and International institute of dental research, and was a faculty member at the new dental school at UNLV before he came to Sydney. Toronto’s past dean used to be a Sydney grad, (and I think UCLA also had a dean sometime in the '90s from Sydney) Sydney also accepts Canadian and American DAT scores. Also, Sydney already has a number of Alumni already working in the US and Canada.

Sydney and Queensland (and Melbourne if applying after 2010) will all accept you for a 4 year dental program. All other Australian dental schools will require 5 years.

UWA and Melbourne probably have some of the nicest facilities. Sydney is currently upgrading theirs as well (just built a new pre-clinic)

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Wow finally some good news :) thank you for that information! However, I only have decent grades ~3.3 overall GPA (78% average) because of a bad start to university. I have shown 4.0 GPA (close ~89% average) in the pas 2 years and really improved on all aspects. I would love to come to Australia because I have relatives there and would be my type of environment to live in. I am sick of the extremely cold winters here :laugh:

I am looking into all the options you gave me and I will contact the schools u have mentioned as well. If I could use my DAT scores that would be fantastic. for the other schools I mentioned, would I have to write some entrance exam? i.e IMAT or UMAT? (if i remember correctly). I want to avoid this if at all possible just because I want at least a bit of a summer after studying for the DAT for 2.5 months.

I am aware how competitive it must be, but I really want to look into this option to come to Australia.

Thanks again
Jaba

If I could use my DAT scores that would be fantastic. for the other schools I mentioned, would I have to write some entrance exam? i.e IMAT or UMAT? (if i remember correctly). I want to avoid this if at all possible just because I want at least a bit of a summer after studying for the DAT for 2.5 months.

I am aware how competitive it must be, but I really want to look into this option to come to Australia.

Thanks again
Jaba

Sydney is the only program (at the moment) that will accept the Canadian or US DAT. (local students applying to Sydney have to take the GAMSAT exam, which is their local DAT/MCAT equivalent) All of the other Australian dental schools will require you to sit the UMAT exam. With the exception of Melbourne who will also be a 4 year grad program in 2010, afterwhich they too will require the GAMSAT. :thumbup:

FYI: The current dean at Adelaide used to be dean at the University of Manitoba in Canada. ...and the dean at the new Charles Sturt dental school is a professor recruited from the University of Maryland, Baltimore College of Dentistry.

I have shown 4.0 GPA (close ~89% average) in the pas 2 years and really improved on all aspects. I would love to come to Australia because I have relatives there and would be my type of environment to live in. I am sick of the extremely cold winters here :laugh:

Also,
"Most" local students who apply to Sydney's Dental school first complete a bachelor of medical science (which is sorta like a biology/"pre-med" degree). It is 3 years long... because of this when Sydney calculates your gpa they will usually only consider your most recent 3 years. If you slacked off in your first year (of a 4 year program) but have kept a 4.0 since then.. then this will help you. However, if you have slacked a bit in the past year it might hurt you. ... just something to think about.

Also,
"Most" local students who apply to Sydney's Dental school first complete a bachelor of medical science (which is sorta like a biology/"pre-med" degree). It is 3 years long... because of this when Sydney calculates your gpa they will usually only consider your most recent 3 years. If you slacked off in your first year (of a 4 year program) but have kept a 4.0 since then.. then this will help you. However, if you have slacked a bit in the past year it might hurt you. ... just something to think about.

thanks for the advice!! this is fantastic.

Well I have 3.2, 3.8 and 4.0 in last 3 years so i might be ok? I also was wondering about the two new schools...I would like to find out more, but there is not much on their web site yet. Maybe i'll give u guys a ring!

Jaba.

What about you, are you currently a dental student in Australia? Must be amazing.

You wouldn't happen to use MSN would you?

Right now only Sydney requires a DAT or an MCAT score for admissions purposes. Its the only Grad Entry Dental program, Melbourne will become Grad Entry in a few years. These degrees are not yet recognized in the US and Canada so take that into consideration before you decide on this. Its different for Medicine, where students can take the USMLE and complete a US residency.

Other programs are high school entry, they probably require the UMAT, which is the same test for Australian medical schools that take high school graduates.

I was looking into Australian dental schools just before few months. I personally called the international department of each school and got the info from them. here are the tests required by each school...

Sydney (4yr) - DAT is acceptable (minimum of 15)
Queensland (5yr) - no tests required
Melboune (5yr) - no tests required
Griffith (3yr) - ISAT required
Adelaide (5yr) - PQA required
Western Australia (5yr) - ISAT required

Australian Dental degrees are not transferable back to the USA, I heard Sydney is supposedly getting US accreditation but is still a few years away, so you will not be able to get a US license without taking a bridging course. I heard of Australian Dentists working in the UK but they cannot practice in North America yet without undertaking additional training.

JoeNama's information is correct. Do not go to Australia for dental school if you plan to return to the US or canada unless of course you plan to complete a dental residency or fellowship. Most (if not all) US states will allow foreign dentists to obtain a license if they complete a fellowship in the US in such specialities as orthodontics, prosthodontic, etc...

The bridging course JoeNama is talking about is a necessary evil which requires you to usually complete 2 additional years of schooling at a US dental school in order to be able to obtain a license. Thus, you can see that going abroad for dental school is a really round about way of becoming a dentist unless you absolutely intend to specialize, in which case the amount of time spent in training will be the same.

Members don't see this ad :)
Australian Dental degrees are not transferable back to the USA, I heard Sydney is supposedly getting US accreditation but is still a few years away, so you will not be able to get a US license without taking a bridging course. I heard of Australian Dentists working in the UK but they cannot practice in North America yet without undertaking additional training.

Sydney is supposedly having their first accreditation site visit by the ADA/CODA starting next year. They are aiming to achieve North American accreditation by 2011 or so.

There have been a few recent graduates from Sydney Dental School who have completed 1-2 years of GPR/AEGD and are now working as general dentists in the US. Also, 4Health is correct.. you also have the option to complete a dental specialty program in the US which is another way to obtain a US license.

All that stated... Most of the Canadian and US students who graduate from Sydney's program actually choose to stay and work in Australia. Many of them prefer the lifestyle here.. and some are earning 120-200k USD their first couple of years out working here. :thumbup:

Its different for Medicine, where students can take the USMLE and complete a US residency.

Well..
Not really because dental graduates have this option as well. i.e. to take the US dental board exams and apply for either a GPR (general dental practice residency, which is 1-2 years) or to apply for a dental specialty residency (ortho, maxillofacial surgery, endo, pros, pedo, radiology, anesth, public health, etc, etc).

Completing a US ADA/CODA accredited specialty will allow you to obtain a US license.

Last edited:
I heard of Australian Dentists working in the UK.

Actually, this changed in 2001 when the UK joined the EU. The GDC (General dental council UK) stopped accrediting British Commonwealth dental schools.
i.e. if you graduated from Sydney Uni dentistry in 2000 you can work in the UK, if you graduated in 2001.. you cannot. Well.. you are still allowed to work in their public system if you wanted an overseas working holiday. But you are no longer allowed to work in private practice without also writing foreign dental exams and doing a bridging course of some sort.

Sydney Uni's Vet program is the only one that I'm aware of that is actually currently accredited in UK, Australia, NZ, US, Canada, Europe, Asia, etc. If you graduate as a Vet here.. you truly have the world at your fingertips. :cool:

Last edited:
Australia should consider joining the European Union, I actually heard the that the head of Deutsche Bank and several other large German firms are interested in having the nation become an EU member, there is massive foreign investment coming from Europe, considering the fact that the US is becoming a weaker, Europe would be a more reliable ally than China which Australia and Mr. Rudd really does not fully understand.

Australia's resources are important to Europeans, and many people from the EU migrate to Australia every year. I guess though that the Australian government will pursue a more aggressive policy with regards to integrating into Asia rather than Europe.

I actually heard the that the head of Deutsche Bank and several other large German firms are interested in having the nation become an EU member.

I have never heard this before. ... interesting. Can you provide us with your sources?

I read it somewhere in the Financial Times a while back, the EU is one of the biggest foreign sources of investment for Australia. Germany is one of the top European countries with investments in the country. I will try to find it.

Hi Guys I am new and need some help . if you have some study stuff please email me .

Australia should consider joining the European Union, I actually heard the that the head of Deutsche Bank and several other large German firms are interested in having the nation become an EU member, there is massive foreign investment coming from Europe, considering the fact that the US is becoming a weaker, Europe would be a more reliable ally than China which Australia and Mr. Rudd really does not fully understand.

Australia's resources are important to Europeans, and many people from the EU migrate to Australia every year. I guess though that the Australian government will pursue a more aggressive policy with regards to integrating into Asia rather than Europe.

are you joking or is it a possibility?
How could Australia join a so far Continent?

It would make perfect sense. The European Union is becoming a global powerhouse in every way. The EU has a lot more in common with Australia than China, go out and take a look at your average Aussie, do they really look Asian??? I think Australia's shift towards China is highly misguided and its going to be one of its biggest foreign policy disasters, especially since abandoning John Howard who kept a strong pro US stance. Do you honestly trust a country like China that has no respect for human rights? Everyone knows the United States is now a sinking ship with no ability to dictate policy towards other countries, but Europe is quickly stepping up. The EU is Australia's biggest foreign investor, bigger than the United States.

The Europeans are democratic, they respect human rights, they have far more to offer Australia than the Chinese.

The only rising Asian nation that could be real asset to Australia is India, which is a democracy.

http://www.dfat.gov.au/geo/european_union/eu_brief.html
Germany, The Netherlands, and France are the three biggest EU investors in Australia.

Up until now the USA has been Australia's primary guarantor of security, Europe would be a formidable source of security to protect Australia against a threat from China and Indonesia.

go out and take a look at your average Aussie, do they really look Asian???

Depends... living in downtown Melb or Sydney.. I might say yes. :)

Do you honestly trust a country like China that has no respect for human rights? Everyone knows the United States is now a sinking ship with no ability to dictate policy towards other countries, but Europe is quickly stepping up. The EU is Australia's biggest foreign investor, bigger than the United States.

The Europeans are democratic, they respect human rights, they have far more to offer Australia than the Chinese.

Up until now the USA has been Australia's primary guarantor of security, Europe would be a formidable source of security to protect Australia against a threat from China and Indonesia.

Don't have any issues with any of this. :thumbup:

Let us know if you find any sources that would point to such a move, would be interesting to read.

It would make perfect sense. The European Union is becoming a global powerhouse in every way. The EU has a lot more in common with Australia than China, go out and take a look at your average Aussie, do they really look Asian??? I think Australia's shift towards China is highly misguided and its going to be one of its biggest foreign policy disasters, especially since abandoning John Howard who kept a strong pro US stance. Do you honestly trust a country like China that has no respect for human rights? Everyone knows the United States is now a sinking ship with no ability to dictate policy towards other countries, but Europe is quickly stepping up. The EU is Australia's biggest foreign investor, bigger than the United States.

The only rising Asian nation that could be real asset to Australia is India, which is a democracy.

http://www.dfat.gov.au/geo/european_union/eu_brief.html
Germany, The Netherlands, and France are the three biggest EU investors in Australia.

Everything you're right it's true.
Add that the most of population has European origin, but I simple guess that all of this is not enough to join Europe.
I would be very happy (I'm Italian, in this case many things could happen to make easy to work,travel towards Australia) but I think Australia will remain an indipendent continent, rughtly I think. They want to mantain a precise identity; in case they will come off from the English commowealth.
Australian is having many relationship with richest Asian countries (for example many students are bringing money to Australian Universities).

Is there anything tangible that goes towards your hypotesis?

I got nothing against Asians, but most Asians who live in Australia and other Western countries are there because they are trying to escape their more ruthless and cutthroat societies. Just about everyone I met from an Asian country says they want their children to have a better life and they feel it will be in the West where they will get that life. There are vast differences between the way Asians and Australians run things, look what happened to that young man in Singapore who was sent to the gallows a few years ago. If he was tried in Australia, he would probably just pay a heavy fine, not lose his life.

I even know one Chinese girl from Hong Kong who told me things have went downhill since the British left ten years ago. A lot of people fled Hong Kong and went to Canada, Australia, UK, and the USA.

Despite distance, Australia has far more in common with Europe than with China.
Even the Dean of the Sydney Dental school is European, he is from Denmark.

Australia has got a relationship with China, Japan, Korea, India, and other rapidly growing Asian countries but there are still vast differences in their value systems and Australia's.

can u mail me ur email DR Millisevert as i have certain queries regarding dental career options in australia. my email is [email protected]

thanks in advance

Also,