Australia vs Ireland for a Canadian Student in 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

p_medschool

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok.. so there is a lot of information on this site and I have tried to wade through as much as I can but I'm seeing a lot of conflicting information. I am hoping a fresh thread might shed some light and give more current information.

So basically I am a Canadian student with an undergraduate degree, haven't gotten into Canada or US and am turning to international med schools. I want to know if there is any difference or advantage between Ireland and Australia. I have seen some saying that there is less support for international students in Ireland compared to Australia - is this true? I also have seen what I think is some saying that if you don't get back into Canada or the US you can't stay and practice in Ireland but you can in Australia is this true?

I have applied to the 5 year programs in Ireland for Fall 2021. What I want to know is, (if Australia is better) should I not go to Ireland in September and instead wait and go to Australia for a 4 year program starting in January 2022? Or is there no difference, and I should just go to Ireland in September if I get in?

I also want to mention, it doesn't matter to me if I match back into Canada or the US I am fine with either. But I am interested in Pathology or Dermatology. Any chance at all with these specialties? Any difference between Ireland and Australia in terms of specializing?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I have seen some saying that there is less support for international students in Ireland compared to Australia - is this true? I also have seen what I think is some saying that if you don't get back into Canada or the US you can't stay and practice in Ireland but you can in Australia is this true?
Anecdotally, I think you can stay in Aus as a FM intern if you don't match. However the Canadian IMGs that I have seen match to my program have all gone through ireland. I don't know if that's related.
I also want to mention, it doesn't matter to me if I match back into Canada or the US I am fine with either. But I am interested in Pathology or Dermatology. Any chance at all with these specialties? Any difference between Ireland and Australia in terms of specializing?
Going IMG will essentially shut the door to derm but pathology is very doable. In Canada at least it's relatively uncompeditive with many spots left open after match so pretty reasonable chances to match path going IMG. I don't think there would be a specific difference between Aus and Ireland in that regard.

Reactions: 1 user
Anecdotally, I think you can stay in Aus as a FM intern if you don't match. However the Canadian IMGs that I have seen match to my program have all gone through ireland. I don't know if that's related.

Going IMG will essentially shut the door to derm but pathology is very doable. In Canada at least it's relatively uncompeditive with many spots left open after match so pretty reasonable chances to match path going IMG. I don't think there would be a specific difference between Aus and Ireland in that regard.
Omigosh ok that was super informative thank you so much!! I was so worried lol! I feel much better about my Irish application now :) And that is SO great to hear, pathology was my number one choice anyway!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok.. so there is a lot of information on this site and I have tried to wade through as much as I can but I'm seeing a lot of conflicting information. I am hoping a fresh thread might shed some light and give more current information.

So basically I am a Canadian student with an undergraduate degree, haven't gotten into Canada or US and am turning to international med schools. I want to know if there is any difference or advantage between Ireland and Australia. I have seen some saying that there is less support for international students in Ireland compared to Australia - is this true? I also have seen what I think is some saying that if you don't get back into Canada or the US you can't stay and practice in Ireland but you can in Australia is this true?

I have applied to the 5 year programs in Ireland for Fall 2021. What I want to know is, (if Australia is better) should I not go to Ireland in September and instead wait and go to Australia for a 4 year program starting in January 2022? Or is there no difference, and I should just go to Ireland in September if I get in?

Thanks in advance!
This guy may be able to help.

went from sydney medical school back to Canada and marched into anesthesiology

Reactions: 2 users
I have heard that Irish schools do not all have secured intern spots for international graduates. In Ireland and Australia, their intern spots go to their students first, and then international graduates. I know for sure that ALL Australian international graduates thus far have been able to secure intern positions in Australia (often their state).

I have heard that Irish schools do not all have secured intern spots for international graduates. In Ireland and Australia, their intern spots go to their students first, and then international graduates. I know for sure that ALL Australian international graduates thus far have been able to secure intern positions in Australia (often their state).
Irish grad here - Ireland offers intern spots by citizenship first. So, all Irish citizens get placed into spots first from med schools around the country, then any non-Irish, but EU passport holders (if you happen to have a European parent/grandparent you might be able to snag an EU passport just for the purpose of bumping yourself up!), then anyone remaining going based off grades in school. In my cohort, all Canadian-EU passport holders who wanted to stay were able to, but there weren't enough spots for all the remaining non-EU North Americans.

Australia is moving to a similar preference system (if they haven't already) by citizenship.

I would argue that getting an intern year is not particularly helpful at getting back to North America, one might be better off doing local shadowing/electives/completing more board exams in North America to build local connections. It's a great option if someone wants to stay abroad of course.

Not true that Ireland does not have support, there is an Ireland wide organization called NIMSA (North American Medical Students in Ireland) that has branches at most of the schools. They will walk you through step by step what you need to do. This can be a little variable depending on the integrity of the students running NIMSA any one particular year of course. I felt well supported and knew what I needed to do my 4 years in Ireland. The schools will not support you. How is an Irish professor who has never worked in North America supposed to help you figure out how to match? They just can't, to no fault of their own. You learn from the 4th year class who has matched year by year, do what they did. I imagine Australian schools/teachers would have a similar issue.

It's fine to shoot for the moon if you go the IMG route, someone in my class did match back to Derm in Canada. However, landing these competitive positions are few and far in between, so unless you happen to be super brilliant, top of your class, make sure you have a back up plan. Look up CARMS and ERAS match data - they publish graphs of match results in Canada and the US year by year so you can see how many IMGs applied and how many got matched to each specialty and what their average board scores etc. were.

Have you tried a USA school? Medical College of Wisconsin accepted Canadian students in the past.