Australian Degree to US Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Avondale

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone could give me advice on how to be a successful medical student at an Australian Medical school (preferably the University of Sydney) and be competitive enough to return home and place in a US residency.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, this has been covered several times in the forum before, but I'll summarize it for you.

Your grades in med school won't really matter too much. Your goal should be to graduate and, in the process, study for the USMLE. Your likelihood of getting an American residency will rely mostly on your USMLE score, so you'll have to make sure to study independently (since the Australian curriculum focuses more on clinical practice and less on the basic sciences required for the USMLE Step 1).

Also, you want to do a couple of your clinical electives (during year 3/4) in the US. At USyd, you have the option to do 2 international electives, which most people say is good enough. That way, you'll have some American rec letters to help you get a residency. USyd has specific partnerships with Columbia and Cornell (and maybe a couple of other schools), but you can also arrange your own rotations.