Australian Pharmacy Graduate in Canada & the US?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shangul

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

{For the US, I do know that 4-year bachelor of pharmacy degree holders are NOT allowed to take the Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Equivalency Examination (FPGEE), since to obtain a pharmacist license in the United States , one must have graduated from a 5-year pharmacy program, after which he or she may sit for (FPGEE).}

Q1
-How does someone with a 4-year Australian bachelor of pharmacy degree, become licensed as pharmacist to work in North America (US and Canada)?

Q2-Does anyone here know of anyone with a 4-year Australian pharmacy degree, working in the US or Canada?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

hi,
i'm not 100% certain, but in the u.s. you have to hold your doctor of pharmacy degree, do they have something like this in australia equivalent to this that you can complete? or you can first come to canada where in 2 years you complete your doctor of pharmacy (assuming that one has their bachelor's in pharmacy). then you can go and write your licensing exam in the states.

in canada, i assume you would just have to write a licensing exam because we only need a bachelor of pharmacy here.

as for me, i think you could actually answer my question for me. i start pharmacy school this year in vancouver...my question is:
1) are there any pharmacy schools in australia that i could transfer over to in order to complete my bachelor of pharmacy?
2) if i get my bachelor of pharmacy in vancouver, can i practice in australia?
do i just write a licensing exam?

Thanks

To shangul:
1. To get licensed in the US, you can do a PharmD program for international pharmacists like the one offered by Nova Southeastern University: http://pharmacy.nova.edu/NewWebsite/Int_Pgm.html . After the 2.5 year program, you will be eligible to sit the US boards (NAPLEX, MPJE).
2. Yes, this is a shameless plug for my school... ;)

To mena3:
1. Maybe... each school will probably consider transfers on a case by case basis.
2. The process for foreign pharmacists to get licensed in Australia is on this webpage: http://www.apec.asn.au/

If you have a pharmacy degree and a pharmacist license from UK, Ireland, USA or Canada, you will be eligible for the 'STREAM B' accelerated process.

In summary, the stream B process is:
1. English test
2. Competency Assessment for Overseas Pharmacists (CAOP) exam -- 100 MCQ, 1 short answer, 2.5 hours
3. Interview
4. 4 weeks supervised practice
5. National Forensics Ethics and Calculations Exam (NFECE) -- MCQ, 1 hour. And Oral Exam -- 1 hour