Australian Research Schools??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PeterJH

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which are the better medical schools for research purposes? Also, are you able to do research in any field, such as orthopaedic/general surgery?

I just graduated from Biomedical Engineering in Canada and my final design work was based on drill bit geometry to lessen heat generation which apparently is a huge problem. Which school would I be able to further my studies at?!? I would much prefer to go to medical school than to obtain a masters of engineering.

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone please help me out with this?!?

PeterJH said:
Can anyone please help me out with this?!?
Drill bits? Yes you are most suited for orthopaedics.

The "Group of 8" universities all have medical schools and have probably a higher research profile than the others. University of New South Wales, Sydney University, University of Melbourne, Monash University, Australian National University, University of South Australia, University of Queensland and University of Western Australia are the more "research prominent" universities with med schools.

Choose a graduate-entry medical school with a 4 year degree such as University of Sydney. There are also full fee paying positions in all med schools. I think St George Hospital in Sydney, part of UNSW, has a good academic ortho unit.

Members don't see this ad :)
All the unis have there bit of research going on - if you check out the websites you'll be able to see what projects they've got.

I know Ian Fraser from Uni of Queensland just got Australian of the Year or something for developing the HPV vaccine for cervical cancer...