Australian Residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rocker

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a fairly basic question to most of the Aussies on coard, but I am need of some good infor on residency requirements for practicing medicine in Australia. Anyone have a good link to the different specialties and the number of years required by Australian law to complete and be able to practice medicine in Australia?

Members don't see this ad.

rocker said:
Sorry if this is a fairly basic question to most of the Aussies on coard, but I am need of some good infor on residency requirements for practicing medicine in Australia. Anyone have a good link to the different specialties and the number of years required by Australian law to complete and be able to practice medicine in Australia?

This should be a good start: http://www.racp.edu.au/

A

Adele said:
This should be a good start: http://www.racp.edu.au/

A

Royal Australian College of Physicians doesn't actually qualify and accredit Aussie and New Zealand docs, do they? Just wondering because I thought it was the AMC (Australian Med Council) that accredits docs in Australia and New Zealand.

Members don't see this ad :)
rocker said:
Royal Australian College of Physicians doesn't actually qualify and accredit Aussie and New Zealand docs, do they? Just wondering because I thought it was the AMC (Australian Med Council) that accredits docs in Australia and New Zealand.

But you asked about the length of residency, never said anything about accreditations.

The Royal Australasian Colleges (of whatever specialty) conducts the training programmes for their own specialty and accredits training programmes and sites.

AMC or MCNZ (Medical Council of New Zealand) is the registration body for the doctors. Depending on what kind of qualification you have, they give you the registration to practise in that specialty in their country. But MCNZ isn't going to accept any qualification that is shorter than Royal Australasian College programmes for vocational registration.

Right, I'm even confusing myself now. Go to www.mcnz.org.nz and they have a tables for each specialty. If your overseas qualification is shorter and have less exams than those of Royal Australasian College, you WILL have trouble getting registered here.

Length of residency varies by speciality, in general the requirement is longer than in north america but less than in the UK.
The medical council of each state recognises (with the Australian medical council) and liscences each doctor. Hope this helps.
In general physican training is about 6 years long.

DrIng said:
Length of residency varies by speciality, in general the requirement is longer than in north america but less than in the UK.
The medical council of each state recognises (with the Australian medical council) and liscences each doctor. Hope this helps.
In general physican training is about 6 years long.

General (or any other) physician is 7 years long, minimum. No longer possible to count PGY-1 as part of FRACP training programme. Your chance of finishing FRACP programme in 7 years is 50-60%, however, considering the pass rate of Part I exam