Australian Universities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jamerson

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi again,

I am seriously looking at other avenues of medical education, and have come across some Australian medical schools (Melbourne, Sydney, etc).

Now, I know that there are only a handful spots available to international students, but should I get in, would it be difficult for me to conduct my residency in the US? In other words, would I be able to return to the US with an Australian medical degree with some ease?

Thank you for your replies,
-James

Members don't see this ad.

Please try to obtain as much information as you can before you decide to attend a medical school in australia. I have posted previously. Do a search and read what I had to say. Things are getting worse, and rotations are becoming harder to obtain. That is why policy has changed here and now the programs are allowing US student to do an internship year after completing their degree. As for USMLE scores, students here generally don't do as well as US and Canadian students. And you must do , on average, better than US students to secure a residency in the US. Especially for any residency deemed competitive. It is less expensive here with regards to tuition, but there are other things that will make up for that; FOOD, Fuel, housing, clothing, and entertainment, since the ozzies drink like fish, you might want to join them sometime or be considered an arse.
Nevertheless, if you want a lax approach to medicine, and lots of free time, then this is the place to be. You will need the free time to study for the USMLE. Something that you will get no assistance for here. Nor should you, since they don't need to sit/take/write any exam like that here. With the exchange rate for americans at 64 cents on the dollar, I would reconsider if I were you. The carribean is not that bad and you wll obtain a residency from there.
Best wishes

V-

Hello Crep,
No offense, but exams here cause anything but stress. And the winters down under are very mild compared to my home.
On another note I am pleased to hear that you have secured a residency. Congratulations.

You are correct in saying that it was never easy for IMG's to obtain residencies, but this year group of 4th year students have had more trouble obtaining rotations than in previous years. Just ask them.

Regarding the policy change with regards to an internship year here, it could be due to the doctor shortage. But if it was, then why are the US students, after completing the internship year, still faced with recieving the boot! It is still very difficult to obtain residency status here. The internship year is a fallback, in my opinion, for students who are facing trouble going home for whatever reason.

Nevertheless, good to hear from you again. and best wishes.

By the way, I sent you a PM.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys! I understand that all these talks are on the MD program but I was wondering if you'll will know anything about MBBS program in australia.

Will I need to do the internship thingy if I am a undergrad med student? Is internship something like working in a hospital as a trainee doc?

Hey there Jamerson:
Being a US citizen studying med at USYD, I agree and disagree with some of the comments here. Not quite sure what school vegemitosis went to and I cannot speak about Flinders but at U of Sydney, the USMLE scores have been higher than the US average. I believe this is probably due to extra studying by the
students because, as stated, the course does not teach towards the USMLE content. It simply teaches medicine, from which you will need to emphasize the USMLE topics. Also keep in mind that the sample size of US/Canadian students taking the USMLE and going back for residencies is small because the program is just beginning to gain popularity among US students and only some of the Canadians go this route. So there is not many people that this info is based on. All the same, the scores have been higher. Another comment I disagree with is that the programs here don't give you time to study for the USMLE. Again, only speaking for USYD, we are allowed to defer a rotation, just to study for the USMLE. This deferrment can be taken consecutively with the summer break (which turns out to be Christmas time in the US), so you have several months to study for it. This has been argued to be one of the reasons that the students here may be getting higher scores, just more time to study. With this deferrment, you are still ready for step 2 and the match in time due to the earlier start in the school year. As far as 4th year electives go, you do have to set these up yourself. On the AAMC website, there is a search/listing of US schools that accept foreign med students for elective rotations/clerkships/externships. There are also programs that are not listed and DO actually accept foreign students (even some that say they do not on the med school website). Call the program directly and see how many more doors open up. You will be surprised how many doors open up when you are a foreign med student but speak good english (I understand that this seems to be a problem in accepting foreign students for residencies, etc.). Having said that, you may get the big NO from some places. I am not in 4th year yet so can't say for sure. However, we are having an "electives night" when the 4th years get together with us and talk about where they went, what they did, etc. I will have to check in again after that. I would read the experiences of other folks on the other Aussie threads, particularly the "Australia Offering Graduate Medical Program" thread (or something like that). You can also read some of my past posts in which I detail a lot of the program in response to people's questions. Overall, I am happy with the program. Looking back, I do not regret coming here. However, the issue of residency does linger in my mind. I am not so concerned about getting a residency, I am more concerning about getting the residency I want (top 5 choices, for example). Also, you have to be disiplined if you come here. You will have to take care of things like getting residencies and doing USMLE stuff on your own. People here do form study groups for the USMLE and have seminars concerning USMLE and the match, but you have to take the initiative and get involved in the seminars, find out the necessary info on entering the match, getting electives/rotations in the US, and get into USMLE study groups. If you would like things done for you, this is not the place. I must stress that you should read the posts and decide for yourself. It may or may not be for you. Looking back, my advice would be this: if choosing between the carib and AUS, I would choose AUS (all
personal reasons including but not limited to reputation of carib vs. AUS, lifestyle during school, facilities available, and always wanting to have visited Australia). Keep in mind that this is coming from someone who has never attended, applied to, or considered going to a carib school. Just my perception from reading the message boards and working within a med school program before starting USYD. If choosing between US and AUS, I would choose US. This is for the sheer lack of worrying about residencies, electives in the US, and being far from my family. I have friends that choose here over the US (and 1 that left a US school after a semester to come here). They love it and you may too. I like it here too but at times I miss my friends back home and worry about the USMLE too much. It all comes down to your personality. If you are going to work hard to do well on the USMLE and are OK with the idea of moving out here. You will do fine. If any of this concerns you, you may want to think twice. I know the response is long as hell, but just trying to help. Please read the other thread also. Good luck with your decision.

Windcharm: You really should read the other post. MBBS is the same as MD except that is has a different name here. They are both the same thing. You are an MD when you go back to the US. 4 schools have the 4-year program and as an international student, you don't need to do the internship year, but you can do 2 of them if you want. After that, you must get a residency program to sponsor you. This is the same for international grads coming to the US. It is a VISA issue. Definitely read the other thread. It should answer such questions. Or search my previous posts.