auto plates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Matthew T Perry

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was watching a movie the other day and I noticed that doctors in NY have MD on thier liscence plates. What do DO's get?

Members don't see this ad.

This issue was talked about before. Take a look. Anyway, I don't think there is a DO plate, so DOs would get the MD plate too (legitimately anyway, DOs are medical doctors (just not with the degree Doctor of Medicine)). I think it is for emergency purposes dealing with law enforcement anyway.

I live in NY state. I don't see many MD plates anymore. A lot of older physicians have them. (prime parking privelages, maybe?) In NY, many different professions have initials on their plates. PE-professional engineer, DA-district attorney, etc. A DO plate may cofuse some. Some think DO means Doctor of Optometry.

Members don't see this ad :)
In New York State, at least, DOs get MD plates should they want physician plates on their automobiles. A well known fact is that a physician's license in NYS makes no mention of the degree the candidate holds, it just says, "Physician & Surgeon."

I'm sure other states have MD plates as well, NJ being one that I know of for sure.

Tim of New York City.

IMHO, professional plates = arrogant people who think they're better than everyone else. My own plates say "professional slacker"

They also scream "carjack me," "kidnap me," "hit me and then blame me for your injuries," etc...

Well I've never understood the idea behind professional plates, but for certain groups, it allows them certain privileges not afforded to the common man.

In the case of physicians with physician plates, for example, if there's a medical emergency for which a physician would be useful, he can leave his car practically anywhere. I know it sounds trivial, and probably almost never happens, but it's there.

What I don't understand is why PTs, DCs, ODs, PAs, or any of the whole host of other healthcare professionals, need their own professional plates. That, especially in the case of ODs and DCs, is what I call arrogant.

Tim of New York City.