By Studying For COMLEX Do You Automatically Study For USMLE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ifellinapothole

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Or is it additional studying?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

By studying for the USMLE you will be studying for the COMLEX. I don't know if the reverse is true. I'm taking my USMLE tomorrow and there was a lot of stuff on the COMLEX that I didn't think would be hit that was. I was very glad to be studying for the USMLE b/c I prolly wouldn't have hit those topics as hard if I were just studying for COMLEX.

COMLEX is random in their Qs, It's almost worthless to try to study for it

Here is the approach I took and I did well on both. I prepared as though I were only taking the USMLE. This includes a heavier emphasis on Molecular Biology and Biochem, Statistics and Epidemiology and Physiology. I took the USMLE first and then the COMLEX 6 days later. In the time between the two I studied OMT using the Simmons book and paid particular attention to the autonomics section. If you feel prepared for the USMLE you will do fine on the COMLEX. I don't believe the reverse is true, however. The two tests, while testing essentially the same information take two entirely different approaches to do it. The COMLEX is more straightforward, although utterly confusing at times, while the USMLE is written very well but requires you to think a couple of steps down the line. Simple example: The COMLEX will give you a clinical vignette that is describing an infection and will ask you what is the most common organism that causes that infection. The USMLE will ask what is the first line treatment against the organism that causes this infection, thus requiring you to know not only the most common organism but also the best treatment for said organism.

Members don't see this ad :)
to be honest, I think ideally this answer should be "no." In a perfect world, if you were studying for comlex you would have 2 or 3 micro sources (inc FA) and 2 pharm sources (inc. FA). Then, aside from this concentrate on neuroanatomy/neuropath, and the FA path section, and of course some OB/GYN. I say this because a great deal of FA is not high yield (in my opinion) for COMLEX. Your time would be much better spent getting a very strong grasp of the subjects mentioned above as opposed to learning the lipid storage dzs or the vasculitides. That is not to say that either of those subjects don't show up on the COMLEX, just that in general they don't seem to be a point of emphasis at all. For USMLE, I would go with just FA for everything except path and biochem. So you see, ideally this would be 2 very different study schedules. In the real world though, you basically split the difference and just do FA, with emphasis on micro and pharm and additional resources if you have time.

I have to agree that the best way to study for both is to study for usmle and then do a little opp right before comlex. I would still take the Comlex first as that is the test you HAVE TO PASS so you wouldn't want to risk getting burned out or something. Whatever way works for you, just my two cents after having taken both.