auto screen from DO schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

speedy11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I scored a 25Q on my mcat. 10P 10B 5V. Will the 5 in verbal automatically destroy my chances for DO schools? Any help would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

From what I have read, that will be too low. I would call some of the schools you're interested in and get the info from them. You may also be able to find it on their website.

Ya a 5 in verbal is probably too low a 6 is probably a bare minimum at most schools if not a 7. I would do what necro is saying and call schools and check websites to see if that's true or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's the minimum for each school? I'm so confused because each school is very vague on CIB and on the phone they just make their standards higher by repeating their average scores and telling me I have a chance when I know I have no chance except for a miracle based on my current stats...:/

they might not auto-screen you out, but when they review your file, they might be :eyebrow: about the 5 in verbal (especially if english is your native lang.)

Like what all the posters before me said, you really should contact each of the schools you are applying to check. After that, just apply broadly to all the ones that didn't say they'll screen you out. What's your verbal score in your practice? If it's much higher then I would think the 5 is a fluke and maybe you should retake the test.

What's the minimum for each school? I'm so confused because each school is very vague on CIB and on the phone they just make their standards higher by repeating their average scores and telling me I have a chance when I know I have no chance except for a miracle based on my current stats...:/

I called PCOM and UMDNJ-SOM today, and they both say they want a minimum of at least 8 in each section. UMDNJ even said their average matriculants have an MCAT score of 29. But right after she said that, she said not to get discouraged or worried, because it is not to say that they don't let people in with 24's, since they really do look at the "whole package," not just MCAT.

Ya I usually scored an average of 7 on verbal and my highest is like an 8. For some reason that section is really hard for me, however english isn't exactly my first language but I've been here from a very young age so technically it should be. I have no problem writing or reading but the reading comp questions always destroy me. I guess best bet would be to call the schools and see what they say. Thanks for all the help.

Ya I usually scored an average of 7 on verbal and my highest is like an 8. For some reason that section is really hard for me, however english isn't exactly my first language but I've been here from a very young age so technically it should be. I have no problem writing or reading but the reading comp questions always destroy me. I guess best bet would be to call the schools and see what they say. Thanks for all the help.

just practice and try your best, it's all we can do....:scared:

I scored a 25Q on my mcat. 10P 10B 5V. Will the 5 in verbal automatically destroy my chances for DO schools? Any help would be great.

One of my good friends had a 5 verbal with 11 in the science sections. She was offered 3 or 4 interviews and accepted at 2 schools. So it's not impossible!

One of my good friends had a 5 verbal with 11 in the science sections. She was offered 3 or 4 interviews and accepted at 2 schools. So it's not impossible!

By any chance do you know which schools these were?

Sorry it took so long- she was accepted to UMDNJ and I believe at Touro in Vallejo. Not sure where else she'd interviewed. Hope that helps!

Last edited:
If all other aspects of your application are not stellar, I'd advise retaking the MCAT. Even if other aspects of your application are stellar, you'll get in to a better school if you improve your mcat score. good luck!