Availability of Pharmacy Specialties?

Started by flipasta
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

flipasta

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

I just wanted to get some insight on some of the things that pharmacists do outside the realm of retail or the hospital equivalent (not really sure what theyre called.) No disrespect to those occupations, but I wanted to know how realistic it is to go into pharmacy school with the expectation of doing something else. I've heard a number of a number of different occupations like a consultant pharmacist (apparently a growing field), oncology pharmacy, cardiology pharmacy, working corporate, medical science liaison, etc..

How possible is it to go into these apparently more non-traditional fields (I made that term up so correct me if I'm wrong) and how reasonable is it to go INTO pharmacy school without the intention of being a retail or a hospital basement pharmacist (not that they're not good careers)?
 
Hey guys,

I just wanted to get some insight on some of the things that pharmacists do outside the realm of retail or the hospital equivalent (not really sure what theyre called.) No disrespect to those occupations, but I wanted to know how realistic it is to go into pharmacy school with the expectation of doing something else. I've heard a number of a number of different occupations like a consultant pharmacist (apparently a growing field), oncology pharmacy, cardiology pharmacy, working corporate, medical science liaison, etc..

How possible is it to go into these apparently more non-traditional fields (I made that term up so correct me if I'm wrong) and how reasonable is it to go INTO pharmacy school without the intention of being a retail or a hospital basement pharmacist (not that they're not good careers)?

Very reasonable. However, understand that your base knowledge you receive in pharmacy school will be that of a practicing pharmacist. So, if you decide to go into the corporate, industry, medical literature, etc fields, you'll have to not get upset that you'll need to learn how to calculate aminoglycoside doses or consult on vaginal yeast infections.

Pharmacy school is where you begin....you decide where you'll take that knowledge once you receive it.

Good luck!
 
that makes sense if such a large percentage of pharmacists go into it.

i actually just got off the phone with a friends sister who is doing residency in a clinical outpatient setting and she made it seem that it is difficult to have a 40 hour work week outside of the retail world. but she then issued a disclaimer saying that it may have just been her workplace that was unique.

Which of these specialties (if any) offer the 40 hour work week that people assume pharmacists have (I suppose in reference to the retail pharmacists that are most visible)?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
maybe she was just describing her residency experience? It would be unrealistic to expect a 40 hour work week during your residency but at most places I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to work that or less even as a clinician.
 
what's wrong with working more than 40 hours per week?

nothing. i thought that would be a more concrete of asking how many of the specialties are jobs and how many are lifestyles, if that makes sense.

ZPackSux: i always wondered what it was you did. people always make reference to what you do, but no one ever explained. oh, and gig em.
 
nothing. i thought that would be a more concrete of asking how many of the specialties are jobs and how many are lifestyles, if that makes sense.

ZPackSux: i always wondered what it was you did. people always make reference to what you do, but no one ever explained. oh, and gig em.

He sits in the backyard under his peach trees with the computer skimming threads on wireless internet.

When he doesn't do that...he's out in the driveway shining the chrome fenders on his RV.

That pretty much takes up his 40 hrs per week.......😉
 
He sits in the backyard under his peach trees with the computer skimming threads on wireless internet.

When he doesn't do that...he's out in the driveway shining the chrome fenders on his RV.

That pretty much takes up his 40 hrs per week.......😉

You got me figured out!!!!

:meanie:
 
nothing. i thought that would be a more concrete of asking how many of the specialties are jobs and how many are lifestyles, if that makes sense.

ZPackSux: i always wondered what it was you did. people always make reference to what you do, but no one ever explained. oh, and gig em.

I've been a pharmacist for 12 years. I interned at a pediatric hosptial for 3.5 years while in school.

Then I was a staff evening pharmacist for 2 years or so... then clinical coordinator for a few years...then a Director of Pharmacy from 2002 to 2007. Recently, I took a consulting job with a pharmacy management firm as a regional clinical guy.... I oversee 10 hospitals' clinical pharmacy program. I have to travel a bit. Like right now.
 
sure I could...

In 12 holes or so...

I seriously think breaking 90 would be an accomplishment for me out there, and I play at about a 7. Going out this afternoon...got a 2pm tee time, have fun working today :laugh: