Aventura Hospital Emergency Medicine Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perfect Hair Day

Grapes of Wrath, Chocolate Ice Cream, Johnny Cash.
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with this program? I think it's newly accredited, not too much information on their website.
I'm an MD student in SoFla and would love to live & work in Aventura :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Unsure of the residency but the hospital itself has a pretty bad reputation. It is HCA so my guess it is an EMCARE residency. I dont know how much that matters to most.

A friend of mine who is an attending in south florida doesn't have the best the things to say about HCA. When applying to residencies he explicitly told me to avoid HCA hospitals.

Members don't see this ad :)
I grew up in south Florida and all I remember is Aventura being the old person's hospital. Aventura has grown quite a bit since I was younger though. I have no idea what it's like now or anything about the residency. Are they just in one site?

I grew up there too. I know the area well. I know the hospital fairly well as one of my family members spent a fair bit of time there. I cant speak to the residency but I can speak to the fact that the reputation of the hospital should be seen as a negative and IMO an EMcare residency should also be seen as a concerning feature.

In the end, does the reputation of your residency matter that much if you're aiming to ultimately work in a community hospital? Board certification is a board certification, right?

anyone know anything about mt. sinai's emergency program in miami beach? Thanks

anyone know anything about mt. sinai's emergency program in miami beach? Thanks

I think they just got ACGME accreditation this year. Mostly DO's in the program. PD also holds a DO degree. MSMC is in a great location, SoFla is decent and Miami Beach is clutch.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I think they just got ACGME accreditation this year. Mostly DO's in the program. PD also holds a DO degree. MSMC is in a great location, SoFla is decent and Miami Beach is clutch.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yep. The PD is MD residency trained if memory serves me correctly. He is a good guy, laid back. Very pro resident

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I grew up there too. I know the area well. I know the hospital fairly well as one of my family members spent a fair bit of time there. I cant speak to the residency but I can speak to the fact that the reputation of the hospital should be seen as a negative and IMO an EMcare residency should also be seen as a concerning feature.
Why would you say having an Emcare residency is a concerning feature?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using SDN mobile

Why would you say having an Emcare residency is a concerning feature?

Because when your attending works for a for profit group their interest lies in making a profit. There was an article written by Cook about this move by the CMGs to start residencies so they can train sad little saps to be their worker bees.

Reactions: 3 users
Warning about HCA. Worked for an HCA hospital before. Every doc that worked there wanted to get out.

Reactions: 2 users
Warning about HCA. Worked for an HCA hospital before. Every doc that worked there wanted to get out.
I have heard negative feedback from HCA hospitals. I didn't pay much attention because I wasn't job hunting. Now, I'm looking into Florida and it seems HCA owns everything. Can anyone comment on what they do to earn them such a negative reputation?

Members don't see this ad :)
Health Care Renewal: Just the Latest Legal Settlement for HCA

Health Care Renewal: How Did the CEO Who Presided Over the Company that Paid a $1.7 Billion Fraud Settlement Become a Credible Candidate for a State Governorship?

AAEM

Justice Department Joins False Claims Lawsuit Against Hospital Chain - Corporate Crime Reporter

Jury Awards $499,000 Against EmCare in EEOC Sexual Harassment and Retaliation Case

Doctor says she was fired for reporting low staffing at Brandon Regional ER

There is oh so much more.

http://www.aaem.org/UserFiles/MayJun14PresidentsMessage.pdf

Now what they do, is HCA allows Emcare to staff their sites. Emcare then kicks them back 15% of the money. You say. that seems dumb. Well what HCA does is not make Emcare contract with payers. Hence higher costs, crappier care (since the money doesnt flow down to the docs) and who wants to work for $200 when you can work for $300.

Do some research and then run away.

Reactions: 1 users
The director of the new Aventura program, Todd Slesinger, is one of the smartest physicians I've ever met. He's one of the original EM/Critical Care pioneers (chair-elect of SCCM's Emergency Medicine section) and is an all-around great guy. I would have loved to have had him as my PD (no offense to Neil Jasani, who was also great! ;))

Would avoid like the plague unless absolutely no other choice for residency.

HCA is a great example of what happens when medicine for profit is allowed to run unchecked.

Would avoid like the plague unless absolutely no other choice for residency.

HCA is a great example of what happens when medicine for profit is allowed to run unchecked.

So what you're saying is - rank last if weak applicant?

So what you're saying is - rank last if weak applicant?

I would certainly recommend (as would apply to all EM residencies) that you withhold judgement until giving them a look and talking with the doctors who work there. The residencies that I thought would be my "slam dunk" top 5 ended up much lower on the list after interviews, and where I ended up wasn't even on my radar until I went down there and saw how wonderful it was. And as I mention above, I personally know some of the faculty at Aventura and they really are a fantastic bunch (I live across the country -- no personal skin in the game. Just food for thought!)

I interviewed there if anyone wants an opinion feel free to PM but I agree with above comment

I interviewed there if anyone wants an opinion feel free to PM but I agree with above comment
HI. I am a bit interested in their IM program, do you know something about it?
Any red flags?

Dude - EM forum. Not IM. Although possible, it is unlikely that you will get that which for you are looking.
I am aware is EM forum, but there ir so little info about Aventura H that I gave it a shot...

HI. I am a bit interested in their IM program, do you know something about it?
Any red flags?
Residents who are there are primarily IMG. They are all SUPER chill and love to teach and they all get along with one another for the most part. The senior residents know their sh**. The PD is a boss, smart guy, really nice and loves to teach, might be why the conferences are so informative. The faculty are super chill, and the ones who aren't "chill" push the residents to think logically through every patient. Some hate it, some love it. The patient population is from all over S.FL so mix of Jewish, Haitian, Spanish, run of the mill patients. Rarely any "crazy" cases, but definitely interesting ones from what I've seen. The worst thing about the place is the EMR which is trash, and the fact you have to call someone to get something done for what seems like everything despite putting in orders/labs. Hey can you take out the Foley, run this lab...did you run the lab?...still? No? okay. It's not like you have to wheel patients to CT or anything but just an annoyance. Faculty from different specialties are all receptive to calls/texts from residents who want to consult.
I don't know anything about the whole HCA fiasco, news to me, doesn't seem to affect the way the residents/attendings think/approach a case from what I've seen.
That's all I got.

Residents who are there are primarily IMG. They are all SUPER chill and love to teach and they all get along with one another for the most part. The senior residents know their sh**. The PD is a boss, smart guy, really nice and loves to teach, might be why the conferences are so informative. The faculty are super chill, and the ones who aren't "chill" push the residents to think logically through every patient. Some hate it, some love it. The patient population is from all over S.FL so mix of Jewish, Haitian, Spanish, run of the mill patients. Rarely any "crazy" cases, but definitely interesting ones from what I've seen. The worst thing about the place is the EMR which is trash, and the fact you have to call someone to get something done for what seems like everything despite putting in orders/labs. Hey can you take out the Foley, run this lab...did you run the lab?...still? No? okay. It's not like you have to wheel patients to CT or anything but just an annoyance. Faculty from different specialties are all receptive to calls/texts from residents who want to consult.
I don't know anything about the whole HCA fiasco, news to me, doesn't seem to affect the way the residents/attendings think/approach a case from what I've seen.
That's all I got.

Hi! Did you do a rotation there?

In the end, does the reputation of your residency matter that much if you're aiming to ultimately work in a community hospital? Board certification is a board certification, right?

It is all part of your own professional reputation, so I would argue it matters - the question is to what degree?

That's all I got.
Thank you so much! I am interested because the location but no one seems to know much about the program. You've been a huge help.

It is all part of your own professional reputation, so I would argue it matters - the question is to what degree?
Wouldnt be a shocker if 1) those residents never get a job at a decent SDG and 2) get pushed into "great" Emcare jobs in locations no one wants to work at below market rates.

Em is small enough. The "faculty" likely dont know or understand the benefits of an SDG. The training will be fine I am sure.

Is anyone familiar with this program? I think it's newly accredited, not too much information on their website.
I'm an MD student in SoFla and would love to live & work in Aventura :)

as a current aventura resident i can give you some info, pm me

I don't know how to pm anyone, kind of new in this forum...please message me. I am really interested.

You click their username and then click Start a Conversation (might be slightly different depending on what theme you're using on SDN).

Don't do it. Emcare is bad, HCA is bad. Combined they are a North Korean dictatorsip. There is a reason that site can't find a medical director, and have been looking for 2 years. They may have a great residency director, but that will only last so long. Who wouldn't jump at the chance to be a medical director of a new residency program in south florida? I'll tell you - someone who knows HCA and Emcare, and knows that their regional team is managed by a hospitalist who oversees EM physicians and bends over to whatever HCA wants to tow the company line. They are a horrible corporation who wants to hide profits from the physicians who generate them, and then blame the physicians for overcharging on the bills that they send out. HCA places body trackers on their physicians and nurses, and uses your recorded "Activity" to assess your efficiency. That may sound good to them, but probably not good for the physician who has had bladder surgery or has an irritable bowel. Run far away from any combination of Emcare, HCA, or both. Far Away.

Don't do it. Emcare is bad, HCA is bad. Combined they are a North Korean dictatorsip. There is a reason that site can't find a medical director, and have been looking for 2 years. They may have a great residency director, but that will only last so long. Who wouldn't jump at the chance to be a medical director of a new residency program in south florida? I'll tell you - someone who knows HCA and Emcare, and knows that their regional team is managed by a hospitalist who oversees EM physicians and bends over to whatever HCA wants to tow the company line. They are a horrible corporation who wants to hide profits from the physicians who generate them, and then blame the physicians for overcharging on the bills that they send out. HCA places body trackers on their physicians and nurses, and uses your recorded "Activity" to assess your efficiency. That may sound good to them, but probably not good for the physician who has had bladder surgery or has an irritable bowel. Run far away from any combination of Emcare, HCA, or both. Far Away.

Hold on, is that for real? Sorry for the necrobump, but I think this deserves more attention, if true. I worked in retail for years in high school and college, and despite retail being the lowest of the low, we were never subjected to that type of indignity. HCA literally forces doctors to wear body trackers and follows their bowel movements around???

Hold on, is that for real? Sorry for the necrobump, but I think this deserves more attention, if true. I worked in retail for years in high school and college, and despite retail being the lowest of the low, we were never subjected to that type of indignity. HCA literally forces doctors to wear body trackers and follows their bowel movements around???
Mayo in Scottsdale does the same. If you ever want to feel like a POS widget.. have some admin goon know where you are all the time and how long you spend there.

Mayo in Scottsdale does the same. If you ever want to feel like a POS widget.. have some admin goon know where you are all the time and how long you spend there.

That's insane. This is another reason unionization is becoming a must.