Average 1st Diagnostic Score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MissionaryGirl

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello.

Can anyone tell me what is the average MCAT first diagnostic score? I just took my first TPR Diag and it was downright horrible, well below 20. Anyway, I am beginning to feel very concerned about this whole thing and starting to wonder if I should take the MCAT when I have had more bio under my belt. I have not had biochem, genetics or molecular which I think would help me on the MCAT.

Anyway, if you could share your thoughts I would appreciate it.

Thanks!
 
It would be interesting to see how many people score below 20 on the first TPR diag and actually score above 30 on the MCAT itself. The first three TPR diags are known to be much more difficult than the actual thing. The purpose of the first three diags is to get you really scared so that you start studying a lot and put loads of effort in. So, in 1 respect I would say, don't worry about it and in the other respect I would say, realize that the test is going to require a large amount of studying so decide now whether you want to put that studying in. Those first diags however punish a lot of people but push through it.

With regards to the biochem and genetics and all the other classes. There are obviously loads of opinions out there. Some say that you don't need the classes and that the MCAT is a test of reasoning. If you can reason well enough then you don't need those classes. My personal opinion is that you would probably be a little better off with those classes just because it helps you to understand the passages a little better. To each his own but I am not excessively adept at reasoning so those classes helped me. Maybe other people on the forum can post and give their opinion.
 
The best way to track yourself is by taking an AAMC test. Test 3 is free online on their site. I've heard TPR is hard so 20 is probably pretty good. Don't sweat it--just start studying your a$$ off. If you are taking the August MCAT you still have plenty of time. Those bio passages are mostly reading comprehension I have concluded, and by practicing passages, you should get better at it. Just really study bio hard and let the rest be practicing passages. It will help your verbal too.
 
My first TPR Diagnostic test was 5P, 3V, 7B. On my last TPR Diagnostic (AAMC 6R), I scored 13P, 9V, 10B.

I had no organic chemistry when I started TPR, and by the time I finished TPR, I had only Organic 1. Everything else I had. Verbal was always my weak point.

The homeworks are very good to do... great practice.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The average TPR diag at my location was in the teens so you are not alone. I scored a 21 but I had been briefly going over EK before the diag. I do not know my April score yet so I cannot tell you if it worked for me or not, but TPR is really good IMHO. Make sure that you do ALL the problems assigned in the workbook and that you understand the concepts not just memorize the formulas. I know that it is much easier to memorize formulas but my MCAT form was purely conceptual aghhhh! and hardly any plug and chug type problems. I had tons of gen chem and some physics for sure skewed towards gen chem. The bio was also tons of experimental data/charts etc. so mostly reading comprehension which sucks when you are limited on time. Make sure that you get your hands on AAMC practice exams our TPR class was not tested on any of the AAMC exams which sucked for some folks. Do the free online AAMC III and that will give you some idea of what a real MCAT will be like, although I have to say that nothing really prepared me for the real one...I had done AAMC I-VI and the real schmeal really bit me in the @$$ it was tough. Anyways, just do your best and do everything TPR tells you except their verbal strategy did not work for a lot of us...
 
On my first diagnostic I scored a 6v 7p 5b. On the real thing I scored 12v, 12p, 10b, writing sampleR. So, do not worry about your first score. Just concentrate on your weak areas.
 
i got a 3V, 4P, 5B my first time on the diag; but i ended up with a 10V on the real thing; i guess being an english minor helped
but a lot of people usually do their best on the real thing
i got a lil below 10s on the sciences so i'm gonna take them over this summer
 
On my first diag, I scored a combined score of 21 (8V, 8B, 5P). I don't think you should worry soley b/c of your initial scores. I've heard of several people who have scored in the teens initially but broke 30 when it came to the real thing. I do though, think that taking Molecular and Genetics would definitely help with the MCATs although in the end you could *probably* do without.
 
Originally posted by lotrfan81
The first three TPR diags are known to be much more difficult than the actual thing. The purpose of the first three diags is to get you really scared so that you start studying a lot and put loads of effort in.


actually that's not true. the TPR diag. was about the same as the real MCAT. the reason your score goes up is because of studying.
 
Granted, studying plays a large role in the whole process but we were informed by TPR that those first diags are more difficult than the AAMC. Some people say that TPR does that so that when your scores go up at the end, you think that it is because TPR is brilliant and somehow taught you something you didn't know before (which they might have). I think they just do it to kick your a$$ so you wake up and start studying. I have heard of people who have taken the Princeton Review before and then retake it and still score a lot worse on those first diags, which would discount the idea that studying plays a serious factor in their results.
 
I know someone who got a 17 on the first diagnostic (Kaplan) and then got a 38 last April. That's +21 points!!! Part of it was just finishing up classes like ochem and biology, part of it (a very small part, I think) was the Kaplan class, but most of it was just working her arse off for months leading up to the test. I guess the moral of the story is is that your diagnostic score only matters to the extent that it can point out your weaknesses early on and get you motivated to work for the long haul.
 
I have never heard of this diagnostic test and was wondering if someone can fill me in on how to procure the test.

Herp
 
Don't feel bad. I took my first AAMC test the other day and got a 28. I think it motivates you to try harder. And, I think scores definitely go up after the first try. You haven't studied for the test yet, so there's still a lot of time. Plus, there are some classes that help to take for the MCAT. I know someone who got a 17 on their first diagnostic test but a 31 on the real thing.🙂
 
Originally posted by uniqueseraph
Don't feel bad. I took my first AAMC test the other day and got a 28. I think it motivates you to try harder. And, I think scores definitely go up after the first try. You haven't studied for the test yet, so there's still a lot of time. Plus, there are some classes that help to take for the MCAT. I know someone who got a 17 on their first diagnostic test but a 31 on the real thing.🙂

Wow! That's a really good score, especially since you haven't studied, yet. And you've got quite a while to study, too. You'll do great.



Sorry, but I can't really help on this thread. I took my first practice test about two weeks before the real thing, after I'd already studied. But I wouldn't expect people to do well if they haven't studied.
 
Hey Herp, The diagnostic is just another name for TPR's practice tests that you take throughout the course. The first three tests are tests created by Princeton. They generally tend to be much more difficult than the actual test. You also have to take into account that most people haven't studied very much when they take the first diag. With regards to procuring the tests, I think you have to take Princeton Review to take their diagnostics but if you just take all 6 of the AAMC tests, then you should be ok with regards to test practice. Of course, you should probably do a lot of other practice problems but the tests just give you a feel for the whole thing.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey Lot,
Thank for the info. I think I'll try the AAMC tests online just because I don't want to have to pay for the course.

Herp
 
Good luck to everyone who's taking a course...
Actually, good luck to everyone! 🙂

I know TPR is really helping me so far.

I scored a 5b 6p 8v on my first diag...
Those damn sciences are really killin' me 😉