Average "Above Average" Applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdschlmyb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey, so I would describe myself as a slightly above average in certain way, and just very average in others. I'm just wondering what people think about this kinda thing...For example, my cGPA and sGPA are both around 3.96. My MCAT score was a 35R. Those number seem pretty above average to me. But then my extracurriculars, even in my own opinion, are very average, very standard. I have volunteered at a local hospital for about a year and a half, 4 hours a week. A few months into that I began shadowing one of the ER docs, so I did that for about a year and a couple months. I did a little research, nothing too significant, just about half a year. And it was in inorganic chemistry, nothing medically relevant. (Enjoyed it though!) Did some volunteer tutoring here and there as well, general science once a week in a high school, and chemistry once a week in college. Other than that, I have nothing major of which to speak. Whenever I browse through SDN or MDapps, I am always amazed at how much people seem to have accomplished, and I am worried that my own experiences seriously pale in comparison...I have worked as a travel agent for 3 years, but am not sure how much there is to gain from that...of course i have a few hobbies also, such a guitar, piano etc...(I actually put 'Lawncare/Home Improvement Projects" on the primary lol!!) So what do you guys think? Am I pretty much OK?? Really nervous about this...

You are a pretty complete applicant, I'd stop sweating. No one is a lock at top tier schools, and neither are you. In fact, you will have some difficulty here because of your almost zero research experience (remember, these schools are ranked by research). But beyond that, just relax. Assuming you applied to a couple 'low' tier schools and several 'mid' tier, you will be fine. Just nail the interview.

well you cant travel back in time so be content with your application. i think you have a good shot at anywhere you choose to apply.

good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats are terrific. The hospital volunteering is average. The shadowing is above average. The research is weak, but better than nothing. The teaching is valued. I do not see a leadership activty mentioned, which is desirable but not essential. Your employment as a travel agent is kinda uniqqe, and hopefully you have great travel tales to tell. I bet it will come up a lot at interviews. Your stats are good enough for the highly selective schools, but due to the lack of substantial research, I'd predict you won't get accepted by them as those schools tend to be research powerhouses. Below the top 20 (just as an estimation), you probably have a great chance.

Your stats are terrific. The hospital volunteering is average. The shadowing is above average. The research is weak, but better than nothing. The teaching is valued. I do not see a leadership activty mentioned, which is desirable but not essential. Your employment as a travel agent is kinda uniqqe, and hopefully you have great travel tales to tell. I bet it will come up a lot at interviews. Your stats are good enough for the highly selective schools, but due to the lack of substantial research, I'd predict you won't get accepted by them as those schools tend to be research powerhouses. Below the top 20 (just as an estimation), you probably have a great chance.

+4 jeeeeez it looks like Stratego and Camaras have much to say in common!

I'm curious to know where you did apply?

And I forgot to mention that having something to list under Artistic Endeavors (music) and Hobbies/Avocations (lanscape maintenance) helps you look well rounded and interesting.

I've applied to :
Columbia
Cornell
Mt. Sinai
NYU
Einstein
SUNY Downstate
UPenn
Yale
UMaryland
And both UMDNJ's ( I live in NJ)

I think I've got a really good chance of getting into at least one of the UMDNJ's, but I'd really love to go to one of the good ones, especially Mt. Sinai or Columbia...

This is your entire school list? This is almost kamikaze style. You have to include at least another 4-5 schools on the lower spectrum of competitiveness. Look through Pennsylvania, Virginia, Chicago, and DC.

You really think so?? I mean I figured that since I live in NJ and the UMDNJ's take pretty much exclusively NJ residents, AND they're state schools (much less competitive), that I'd most likely get into one or both of them. SUNY Downstate and Maryland are also not nearly as competitive...Out of the remaining seven schools, I'd only need to get accepted at ONE to make me really happy...but even if I don't, I'd still happily go to UMDNJ...You really think it's worth the additional fees to apply more broadly in my case?

You really think so?? I mean I figured that since I live in NJ and the UMDNJ's take pretty much exclusively NJ residents, AND they're state schools (much less competitive), that I'd most likely get into one or both of them. SUNY Downstate and Maryland are also not nearly as competitive...Out of the remaining seven schools, I'd only need to get accepted at ONE to make me really happy...but even if I don't, I'd still happily go to UMDNJ...You really think it's worth the additional fees to apply more broadly in my case?

Well look at it yourself. Beyond those 4 schools, for all you know, you won't get into any (I think you will get into at least one, but thats besides the point). Then you are, in essence, applying to 4 schools. Maryland takes a huge % of instate residents, as far as I remember. SUNY Downstate is also slowly becoming an instate *****. Not that you won't get into them, but there is that chance. Then you have 2 schools left, the UMDNJs, your best safeties. What if you just mess up one interview, and in the other, come across as conceited?

I know this is an extreme description, but I'm just trying to play devil's advocate. I really think you should be adding at least 2-3 more schools. Stay in NY, you seem to like that idea. IMO, add Albany and Rochester, and maybe NYMC.

Hmm...thanks for the advice, you've definitely given me what to think about, and, I won't lie, nearly scared the bejeezus outta me...

Hmm...thanks for the advice, you've definitely given me what to think about, and, I won't lie, nearly scared the bejeezus outta me...

hahaha :D well keep the bejeezus inside! :p *hug*

Oooh, I just remembered - You mentioned leadership...well for three summers I was a camp counselor, loved doing that, does that count as leadership?? I did put it on my amcas...

I think camp counselor would be viewed as employment, as the AMCAS view of "leadership" tends to refer to peer leadership.

I think camp counselor would be viewed as employment, as the AMCAS view of "leadership" tends to refer to peer leadership.

Yes. More along the lines of managing all the camp counselors. Or student government board member.