MD WAMC - 2024-2025 Applicant, decent stats, average-ish (?) ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IWishICouldPhysics

Reaction score
---- Removed for personal info

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Is your Texas residency based only on attending a Texas undergrad while growing up in Illinois?

From @Faha on another thread:

“Most OOS MD schools interview few Texas residents since they know from years of experience that Texas applicants will attend a Texas school. For AMCAS schools you could try TCU and Tulane.”

Given your ties to Illinois, there’s no harm in shooting for UChicago & Northwestern which care about stats + social justice.

Perhaps selectively target other T30s that value leadership + social justice.

@wysdoc

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No need to improve; you’re doing great!

Reactions: 1 user
For AMCAS schools you could try these:
TCU
Tulane
Northwestern
U Chicago
Washington University (in St. Louis)
USF Morsani
Vanderbilt

Perhaps add UVA. It’s a school known for liking out of state residents with high stats. I heard of a TX resident (with 99% MCAT) who matriculated there.

Stanford is known for entrepreneurship (& research).

The really highly ranked schools are less worried about the TX tuition differential and are less likely to hold your TX residency against you.

Edit: The experienced admissions people on SDN universally discourage getting rec letters from doctors you've shadowed as they tend to be universally unhelpful. I'm pretty sure MD programs want letters from your professors - both science and nonscience (though this can vary by school). @LizzyM @gyngyn

Last edited:
Don’t have an answer to your question but the admissions professionals on SDN will tell you that your current 120 hours of shadowing is plenty and that you’d be better served spending more time on other aspects of your application.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for letting me know! Pardon my ignorance, but are there ever circumstances where it would be okay, such as if (in my case) you're shadowing for over 6 months routinely, you're involved in reading scans, asking questions, helping diagnose patients (e.g. "What do you think he may have?), etc.? That'll definitely influence whether or not I keep going!

@LizzyM and @gyngyn your advice would be much appreciated!
Get used to pimping. As long as you are under the supervision of a physician and do not perform clinical tasks on patients, you are probably fine within appropriate professional ethics.

Reactions: 1 users