vondy60

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2003
31
0
New Orleans, LA
Status (Visible)
What do you guys think when a school states its average GPA of accepted students is 3.5, for example, and DAT is 18, of the range that this includes?

If the average DAT is 18, do you think the range of accepted DAT scores is around 16-19; and if the average GPA is 3.5, then the range would be around 3.3-3.7, or what?
 

Mo007

Gifted Hands
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2003
1,260
3
43
Columbus, OH
Status (Visible)
That particuar school will accept a very few 16's and a lot 17's, but those applicants should have a high GPA - at-least 3.5 and above in this case. It will also accept a lot of 19's and some 20's with a lower GPA - lets say a 3.3.

Remember, GPA/DAT scores are a portion of how competitive an applicant is, the interview will weight a lot too, and other factors on your application. Someone with low GPA/DAT scores could be accepted, if that individual has more to offer (research, experience... etc). And there are the Minority and State Residency issues, which schools take into consideration on their selection.
 

busupshot83

S.D.N. Vet
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2003
2,247
3
37
Texas
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by vondy60
What do you guys think when a school states its average GPA of accepted students is 3.5, for example, and DAT is 18, of the range that this includes?

If the average DAT is 18, do you think the range of accepted DAT scores is around 16-19; and if the average GPA is 3.5, then the range would be around 3.3-3.7, or what?

The average is just that. For instance, consider the following:

A school with 5 students (hypothetical)...

Student 1 - 3.2 GPA; 17 DAT
Student 2 - 2.9; 23
Student 3 - 3.3; 18
Student 4 - 3.1; 20
Student 5 - 4.0; 16

Ok, so let's do the math:

The average GPA (16.5/5) would be about 3.3.
The averge DAT (94/5) would be about 19.

As you can see, the GPA ranges from 2.9-4.0; the DAT ranges from 16-23.

It's hard to specify a school's range, unless you have the data. Hope that helps.

pce,

bus.
 
About the Ads

init4damoney

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2003
173
0
So Cal
Status (Visible)
Some schools post the averages (gpa, dat, age, major, etc.) on their website. Just search around and you'll find some good info.
 

aphistis

Full Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2003
8,394
37
Indianapolis
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
  2. Dentist
Originally posted by busupshot83
The average is just that. For instance, consider the following:

A school with 5 students (hypothetical)...

Student 1 - 3.2 GPA; 17 DAT
Student 2 - 2.9; 23
Student 3 - 3.3; 18
Student 4 - 3.1; 20
Student 5 - 4.0; 16

Ok, so let's do the math:

The average GPA (16.5/5) would be about 3.3.
The averge DAT (94/5) would be about 19.

As you can see, the GPA ranges from 2.9-4.0; the DAT ranges from 16-23.

It's hard to specify a school's range, unless you have the data. Hope that helps.

pce,

bus.
It'd be impossible to calculate the range and frequency of DAT scores unless standard deviations (definitely) & errors (I think?) were given. Like everyone else has said, though, the best way is to just call the schools.
 

busupshot83

S.D.N. Vet
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2003
2,247
3
37
Texas
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by aphistis
It'd be impossible to calculate the range and frequency of DAT scores unless standard deviations (definitely) & errors (I think?) were given. Like everyone else has said, though, the best way is to just call the schools.

stop ruining my moment bill... damnit :laugh:
 

ShawnOne

DDS over DMD
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 25, 2003
1,166
3
City of Angels
Status (Visible)
I honestly beleive most schools highly value other variables other than GPA/DAT.

Take for example UNLV. It seems they highly value applicants who have been out of school for a couple years. The average age for accepted students is around 26-27. All the people who I have talked with (accepted to UNLV) have been out in the real world for a little while. I think they also favor applicants who plan on staying in NV.

I think Loma Linda is another good example. They are obviously looking for other criteria beside just GPA/DAT. How about Tufts? They rejected my butt with highly competitive GPA/DAT. I am sure they were looking for something I didnt have...perhaps research? and how about Arizona..they are looking for something too (although I am not too sure what that is)

Maybe some school chase the numbers, but I think most schools are looking for students who fit other criteria. (kinda like a company hiring people to fit thier culture and vision).

So perhaps DAT/GPA is less important than we all think.
 

Mo007

Gifted Hands
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2003
1,260
3
43
Columbus, OH
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by ShawnOne
So perhaps DAT/GPA is less important than we all think.
Well, it depends. I think most schools take the GPA/DAT scores seriously - and you have to meet their standards if you want to feel comfortable being accepted there.

There is always the Barrons guide for Medical and Dental Schools in the US and Canada. They breakdown the details on how Dental Schools selected their students for 2002-2003.

For example, the book tells you which schools would prefer a very good Sci GPA (Columbia ) than overall GPA (Tufts). Also, which schools take their interviews more seriously (according to them - getting an interview with Columbia was like pretty much being accepted there, so its more laid back since you already have the 20+ DAT scores and good GPA).

They even get into which schools prefer to see a good score on the PAT (Case), or QR (OSU) more than other sections on the DAT. And which schools prefer the Bio or the Org and the RC as the most important factor on the DAT. It has a lot tables with most recent datas (2002-2003) - and from what I know, its pretty consistant from what I read on SDN, and the schools report the same datas on their websites.

Other things they covered include the Tuition, Class Sizes, Special Features about each school - like why the APEX program at BU is important to their students, and which schools keep their students from clinical exposure until the 3rd year (Harvard).

Well, all you need to know is in that book - (available @ your local Barnes and Noble stores).
 

marshall

SDN Donor
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2003
218
0
38
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
Originally posted by Mo007

There is always the Barrons guide for Medical and Dental Schools in the US and Canada. They breakdown the details on how

Dental Schools selected their students for 2002-2003.
Well, all you need to know is in that book - (available @ your local Barnes and Noble stores).

I hate that book. I think I even used the edition you're talking about. There is incorrect information, the DAT is talked about as if it was given in 1997 when it was still on paper, and 3/4 is dedicated to medical schools.

Maybe I didn't look closely enough but my impression was that book is horrible?
 

trypmo

Arch Fiend
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2004
886
2
Texas
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by marshall
I hate that book. I think I even used the edition you're talking about. There is incorrect information, the DAT is talked about as if it was given in 1997 when it was still on paper, and 3/4 is dedicated to medical schools.

Maybe I didn't look closely enough but my impression was that book is horrible?
It was my impression also that the Barrons Med & Dent book was no good for dental stuff. I'd get the ADEA Official Guide instead.
 

Thaxil

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2003
547
1
43
myrtle Beach, SC
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
I think ShawnOne is correct about schools emphasizing other factors. Do not even bother applying to LLU if you are not SDA; seriously. They have 98 students per class, 94 are SDA and 3 are LDS. LLU is a SDA school; they can accept only SDA if they want to. Take Howard and Meharry; both black college with great emphasis in community service. Also, other schools which I am not familiar with. However, I feel none of the school will accept you if your academic abilities are doubtful. If your GPA and DAT suck, you have no hope no matter how disadvantage, how much community service or shadowing, etc. There most important factor for acceptance is to accept student who will graduate on time.
 

UNLV OMS GUNNABE

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2004
510
8
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Originally posted by ShawnOne
I honestly beleive most schools highly value other variables other than GPA/DAT.

Take for example UNLV. It seems they highly value applicants who have been out of school for a couple years. The average age for accepted students is around 26-27. All the people who I have talked with (accepted to UNLV) have been out in the real world for a little while. I think they also favor applicants who plan on staying in NV.

I think Loma Linda is another good example. They are obviously looking for other criteria beside just GPA/DAT. How about Tufts? They rejected my butt with highly competitive GPA/DAT. I am sure they were looking for something I didnt have...perhaps research? and how about Arizona..they are looking for something too (although I am not too sure what that is)

Maybe some school chase the numbers, but I think most schools are looking for students who fit other criteria. (kinda like a company hiring people to fit thier culture and vision).

So perhaps DAT/GPA is less important than we all think.

Not necessarily true about UNLV. I don't believe our school favors people who have been out for a couple of years. The DS1 class this year is actually a lot younger than my class. They do save something like 40 spots for NV residents but besides those the majority do not want to stay here. I still think DAT/GPA are by far the biggest factors, everything else is just icing. Besides, everyone lies about how interested they are in community service and the like in an interview.
 
About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.