Average Age of first time dental student in U.S

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Road2Redemption

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys was just wondering if someone knew what the average age for a first time first year dental school enrollee is? I know the information should be in the newest adea guide. Thanks in advance!
 
I'm looking in the 17-18 guide right now and I do not see a mean age overall (unless I'm missing it) but a mean age for each specific school. It seems the mean is for the class that entered fall of 2016 is from ages 23-25 with a large amount of 23 and 24s. Mwu-az, Western, Meharry, and Roseman had a mean age of 26. Hope that helps!

Sent from my Pixel XL using SDN mobile
 
23-24 is the average around the country. This number is weighted down heavily by the many students that come straight from undergrad. There are plenty of people that apply at 25+ and matriculate. There are also a very sparse number of people who matriculate in the 18-20 range.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Loads of 20-22 year olds, good chunk of 25-28, sprinkle in some 30's, and that one 40. Seems like that's a typical class.