Average Age of first time dental student in U.S

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Road2Redemption

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys was just wondering if someone knew what the average age for a first time first year dental school enrollee is? I know the information should be in the newest adea guide. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm looking in the 17-18 guide right now and I do not see a mean age overall (unless I'm missing it) but a mean age for each specific school. It seems the mean is for the class that entered fall of 2016 is from ages 23-25 with a large amount of 23 and 24s. Mwu-az, Western, Meharry, and Roseman had a mean age of 26. Hope that helps!

Sent from my Pixel XL using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
23-24 is the average around the country. This number is weighted down heavily by the many students that come straight from undergrad. There are plenty of people that apply at 25+ and matriculate. There are also a very sparse number of people who matriculate in the 18-20 range.

Members don't see this ad :)
Loads of 20-22 year olds, good chunk of 25-28, sprinkle in some 30's, and that one 40. Seems like that's a typical class.

Reactions: 1 user